Michigan vs Michigan State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Pumped for expert thoughts from our (sadly misguided, but nobody is perfect) Michigan faithful here and everyone else as well. Feel free to discuss and BOL.

Expect Low-Scoring Slugfest Between Spartans and Wolverines

#7 Michigan (4-0) hosts rival Michigan State (3-1) this Saturday at 7:30 PM ET. The Wolverines opened as 13 point favorites. But, that number has dropped to 10. The total opened at 41.5 and has dropped to as low as 40.

Michigan has had difficulty establishing a rhythm and producing consistent drives. Against Florida, for instance, 303 of Michigan's 433 yards derived from 11 plays. Michigan's big plays have masked its offensive struggles even against understaffed teams like Florida or otherwise inferior competition.

Michigan cannot rely on backup quarterback John O'Korn to win for them, especially due to the absence of a go-to receiver, the reduced depth at wide receiver due to Tarik Black's injury, and the lack of experience and chemistry at the position.

Offensive line troubles cause Michigan to be 113th in sacks allowed per game. The protection is struggling with experience as they try to replace departures and make adjustments throughout the line.

The Wolverines like to grind out drives: they are top-25 in time of possession. They rely on a highly talented duo at running back, Chris Evans and Ty Isaac. Evans excels in open space due to his shifty running style, although he is also able to burst through a hole and lower his shoulder. Isaac is a powerful bruiser whose size and strength make him tough to bring down.

The Spartans will devote extra attention to Michigan's run game. Their interior defensive line is led by Raequan Williams and Mike Panasiuk, sophomores who started the last three games of last season and made an immediate, disruptive impact, playing a significant role in the Spartans' near-upset of Ohio State. Kenny Willekes has been a positive surprise at defensive end. The former walk-on is versatile and athletic. He brings explosion off the edge and excels at containing the screen and swing game.

Michigan State's high-ranked rush defense is supported by a stacked linebacking corps. Joe Bachie is a rising star. "Psycho" Chris Frey led the Spartans with 96 tackles last season. Though lacking the size of Bachie and Frey, Andrew Dowell stands out with his speed and athleticism.

The Spartans' improvement in applying pressure also takes pressure off of their blossoming secondary, which is led by two experienced safeties.

Michigan's defense is proving itself, ranking first in both rushing yards allowed and passing yards allowed. But Michigan State's offense has produced nothing against a team outside the MAC. A lot of their yards against Notre Dame came after the Irish had already essentially won.

Quarterback Brian Lewerke is the Spartans' leading rusher. LJ Scott is averaging a career-low 3.7 yards per carry.

Michigan State's offensive line is failing to offer adequate run protection. The protection is inexperienced and unproven outside of center Brian Allen.

Pass blocking is easier for Lewerke, whose mobility allows him to elude pressure. He has a go-to wide receiver in Felton Davis, whose size also makes him a viable red zone threat. He leads the team with 4 receiving touchdowns. Overall, however, the Spartans possess one of the worst red zone offenses, largely due to an anemic rush attack.

The developing chemistry between Lewerke, who favors the shorter passing game, and his young and talented wide receivers, helps the Spartans control time of possession. The Spartans, due to their lack of big-play ability, but their conservative quality in Lewerke, are 9th in time of possession. Like the Wolverines, they excel at grinding out drives.

Michigan State will face its biggest challenge in producing any kind of forward rhythm against a vicious Michigan defense that ranks highest at getting to the quarterback and into the backfield.

Michigan's defensive line is led by top recruit Rashan Geary. Geary boasts an insane burst that opposing offensive linemen--surely including those of Michigan State--cannot contain. His elite pass-rushing skills are complemented by those of explosive defensive tackle Maurice Hurst.

Michigan's linebackers are led by Mike McCray, who is versatile in his ability to wreak havoc in the backfield but also assist in pass coverage. McCray is a senior leader who makes the younger talent around him blossom.

Michigan's talent at linebacker and defensive line helps a young secondary led by Lavert Hill, who makes up for his size with the agility to change direction and the ability to make a break on routes. David Long has the vertical ability and ball skills to help contain the Spartans' size at receiver.

The Verdict

Two largely unproven offenses, who love to grind out possession, create a recipe for few points. Both defenses are much more self-confident and match-up well in order to limit the opposing offense. Because both teams will start with their most intense physicality, will need time to feel out the opposing defense and because Michigan State could find itself down double digits in the 4th quarter and loves to score garbage points, I am sticking with a first half play.

NCAAF Pick: First Half 'Under'

Last edited:
Thanks to BAR for the previous pointer about the yardage situation between Sparty and Irish :whoohoo2:

Books are like whoops we made an error here let's minimalize our exposure while (sharp) money comes pouring in

?

I'm just thinking of how the Florida/Vandy total turned out for bettors. But that was obviously a different game.

You're the expert do you agree with my article BAR? Any objections to accuracy?

Michigan cannot rely on backup quarterback John O'Korn to win for them, especially due to the absence of a go-to receiver, the reduced depth at wide receiver due to Tarik Black's injury, and the lack of experience and chemistry at the position.

The one thing I would not worry about is depth at the WR position. I think what you will see and have seen in smaller spurts is that Grant Perry will be the go-to guy. He has the experience and sure-hands along with correct route-running. After that, DPJ is just waiting to break out. Rumor has it that this past 10 days or so he has been excellent in practice (that may be understating it a bit). Losing Black was big as he came in ready as a frosh but between some 'okay' older guys and plenty of young talent they should be just fine. If everything works correctly though, guys like McKeon/Gentry will be featured enough at TE to take some pressure off as is.

Now, for Kekoa/Dylan Crawford to stop dropping passes. Guy is a mystery at times but such a damn good blocker.

The Spartans' improvement in applying pressure also takes pressure off of their blossoming secondary, which is led by two experienced safeties.

Okay, not so much for this game but as MSU starts playing teams consistently who can throw a forward pass, their secondary is not good. They have some nice young talent back there but any team with a serious throwing game will shred this squad.

The schedule has worked out for them. In their 3 wins they have yet to face a team really capable of moving the ball consistently downfield. In the loss...

The ND game, again, stats are skewed. The Irish had 60 yards passing on the first drive. After a couple of short drives ND next scoring drive of substance had a lot of runs and a nice pass play. Right there, score is 28-7 and the game is basically over. On the TD drive in the early third they completed both passes, one big and the score was 35-7 and the game was definitely over at this point. After that, ND threw 3 more passes total. The damage was done.

Short on time today, but wanted to give you some feedback that may or may not help...

As far as your suggested play here...I can see that happening...I can also see 17-7 or so at halftime.

What was the first half number at open and where is it currently? I utilize scoresandodds for gameday betting and they don't have anything posted yet. If it is dropping at what threshold does playing it become questionable?

I think Devin Bush has absolutely been the best player on that D I've seen this year. Gary and McCray were the known commodities on an otherwise unknown 2017 D coming into the year, but Bush and Winovich are 1st team Big Ten right now, and likely AA caliber by season's end.

BAR I read online about dpj's speed and athleticism and his early entry then saw his current numbers and was like wtf. It sounds like he's a future superstar

I wanted to play the over too I just couldn't figure out how to write an article on it lol can't force a pick

I wanted to play the over too I just couldn't figure out how to write an article on it lol can't force a pick
I'll probably be on the over even if it's just for a .25 play. Just for shits and giggles

Pump the brakes on Michigan.

How do you go on an 0-10 ATS run vs an instate rival ?

Dantoni is all up in Jimmy Harbaugh's ass.

Under here, Under there, Under everywhere. Wish I would've played it, not sure first half unders are my thing, but you were right on alot of counts related to MSU D and Mich O.

Back