Michigan State vs Oregon Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Spartans Launch Physical Warfare in Redbox Bowl Against Oregon

Redbox Bowl: Oregon (8-4 SU, 4-8 ATS) vs Michigan State (7-5 SU, 4-8 ATS)

Monday, Dec. 31, 3 p.m. ET (FOX)

Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, California

NCAAF Pick: Spartans ATS and SU

Oregon will try to end a five-year drought without a bowl win in what could be quarterback Justin Herbert’s final game. Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio gets his team to thrive when everybody expects it to lose. Under Dantonio, MSU has won and covered four of its last five bowl games, winning three of them as underdogs. The one exception was against Alabama.

How They Got Here

Oregon’s biggest win came at home against eventual Pac-12 champion Washington. The offense suffered an identity crisis under first-year coach Mario Cristobal, who is trying to fuse the tempo of old Oregon teams with his own preference for power running. As a result, the offense was inconsistent and sputtered for long phases at Washington State and Arizona, against both of which it failed to exceed 20 points and lost. Michigan State suffered on offense due to injuries at quarterback, wide receiver, and the offensive line. Its big win came at Penn State, but it scored 22 points combined in its last three games, losing to Ohio State, Nebraska, and barely avoiding humiliation against Rutgers.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why Oregon Can Win/Cover

The Ducks may not need to score much. The Spartans have failed to cover their last three games despite holding their opponents to combined 45 points. Conversely, Oregon ranks 22nd in averaging 34.9 points per game. Justin Herbert is an NFL-caliber quarterback. His numbers are down from last season when the Ducks executed a lot of verticals and he exploited soft coverage to hit receivers all over the field. This year, Cristobal’s offense has him throwing more often on the run. Sparty’s pass defense is its weakness and it will miss starting corner Justin Layne, maybe fellow starting corner Josiah Scott, and possibly backup Josh Butler. Herbert can connect well with receiver Dillon Mitchell, who leads Oregon with 69 receptions, 1,114 yards, and nine touchdowns. Michigan State is 1-5 ATS when allowing 20+ points.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why Michigan State Can Win/Cover

MSU's elite defense ranks 12th in opposing points per game, allowing 18 on average. It held Penn State to 17 points at home and limited Ohio State to nine points through three quarters. Allowing 26 points to OSU was really impressive considering how MSU’s awful offense allowed OSU to accrue over 37 minutes of time of possession and enjoy repeatedly solid field position. MSU's strength is against the run. Oregon has the 53rd-highest run play percentage and it will get its starting left tackle back from injury. Oregon is 0-3 ATS when starter C.J. Verdell averages fewer than three YPC.

Common Opponent/Series History

Michigan State lost 16-13 to Arizona State in the 103-degree desert where Big 10 teams historically come to lose. Oregon survived at home against ASU after it led 28-13 at halftime and the offense disappeared in the second half.

The Verdict

Oregon’s offense suffers a wide disparity between its high ranking in plays per game and its low one in time of possession—the Ducks want to run tempo, but struggle to sustain drives. It ranks 50th in offensive scoring per drives (FEI) against FBS teams outside of garbage time. Oregon is in a weak conference where its strength of schedule ranks 65th nationally, 42 spots behind Michigan State's. It faced six teams that rank outside the top 80 in total defense plus an FCS team. It laid clunkers with long offensive ruts away from home and failed to run well against good defenses like Utah’s. Michigan State’s run defense has faced six teams that rank top-40 in YPC, eight that rank top-60. Sparty’s defense will keep Oregon one-dimensional, which is important because Oregon is 0-6 ATS when Herbert, who only has one good receiver, throws 33+ passes.

Sparty's offense will improve if quarterback Brian Lewerke is healthy. He can be efficient, although his numbers look poor because he often played through injury. The offense tends to succeed when he can scramble. Oregon hasn’t faced many scrambling quarterbacks, but it did concede over 100 rushing yards to Cal’s Brandon McIlwain. Running back L.J. Scott seeks to replicate last year’s awesome bowl performance. Oregon’s run D ranks 48th in opposing YPC, although seven of the 11 FBS schools it faced rank outside the top 60 in YPC. The whole receiving crew minus Felton Davis and starting offensive linemen should return from injury, which is bad news for an Oregon secondary that ranks 98th in opposing passer rating. Even at the beginning of the season, Michigan State only averaged 25 points per game, which wouldn’t rank it much higher in scoring than it does now. But 25 points will suffice to beat Oregon. Plus, it also struggled to score last year, but still put up 42 points in its bowl game against a highly-ranked Washington State defense.

Michigan State has consistently shown no ability to score. I don't think it changes after a bunch of time off, but stranger things have happened. Oregon completely mailing it in last year makes me think they won't this year. Leaning Oregon but does the QB play?

Michigan State has consistently shown no ability to score. I don't think it changes after a bunch of time off, but stranger things have happened. Oregon completely mailing it in last year makes me think they won't this year. Leaning Oregon but does the QB play?

Well they‘ve had a ton of injuries. The hope is Beedle some receivers Lewerke LJ Scott come back

Sparty fans hate Dave Warner, read so many long rants against him from them about his play-calling for example. But his history (MSU offense) in bowl games is actually very good from 2013 onwards, except against Alabama...but i'll forgive him for that

Yea Lewerke is a main concern. But im hoping hes healthy i mean why else would he get the start in a meaningless game

If Dantonio were to endanger Lewerke's health for next year by putting him in a meaningless game, then he would really deserve to have his job status questioned. He already should have sat Lewerke a lot earlier. Lewerke is medically cleared to play so even if it had made sense to put him in, seeing how much its affected him and knowing the risks that go with him getting sacked on his shoulder behind that lackluster roffensive line, his leash needed to be much shorter

Even if his shoulder doesn’t need surgery and has healed on its own, which is unlikely, it’s gonna be weak. Shoulders take forever to get strong again.

You mentioned Sparty pass d but this article mentioned possibly 3 corners out. I don’t know the updated status.

I think inside a fg with a 1st round type qb vs an injury plagued one is a winning play. Then again I’m terrible at bowl games. Sometimes one team doesn’t give a shit and the other does. That’s why there have been so many blowouts. Too hard to cap if a team is motivated or not. Oregon, Mizzou, Iowa, Iowa u are likely to be my only bowl plays.

Probably best to track live, to see Lewerke zip a pass accurately first before trusting his shoulder. Sparty for sure, but if you‘re more risk-averse do that. If torn labrum tho shouldn‘t he be recovered by now play well??

If Lewerke is healthy and Warner will progress from calling little slant routes and back shoulder fades to big plays deep against Oregon‘s pass D that loves interceptions but gives up the big play and YAC, then Sparty at + really is a home run play. Receivers will be healthy besides Davis and theres some speed and ability for separation like in Nailor who was a sprinter in hs

So its a question for me of how much to wager. There looks like some rlm but who cares. I am dying to see what Lewerke‘s arm looks like

Sparty‘s O has looked good with healthy receivers and a functioning Lewerke like putting up 28 vs Hoosiers

This is an elite defense. New Oregon is more pistol-based, power-run, one good receiver then garbage. Sparty’s D is well-tested. Shut down Ohio State’s offense which used field position and defense (keeping Spartan D on field often) to break game in 4th. I don‘t see Oregon succeeding offensively. Depending on whos healthy for Sparty, could be „big“ game for the offense

Ok Dantonio just has a history of trotting out quarterbacks who aren't ready health-wise. Like that one bowl exception against Bama with Connor Cook...his shoulder coincidentally. Going to keep the homer impulse down and keep it to a normal play. Will add on live if I like what I see!

Back