Michigan State vs. Northwestern Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Michigan State vs. Northwestern College Football Week 1 Picks and Odds Breakdown

Michigan State Spartans vs. Northwestern Wildcats
Friday, September 3, 2021 at 9 p.m. ET (ESPN) at Ryan Field in Evanston, Illinois

Northwestern's Issue At Quarterback

If I am deciding whether to bet on a favored team to cover the spread, the first question I will ask myself is if it possesses a sufficient advantage on offense to merit belief in its ability to score however many more points the spread requires it to score than the opponent.

The main reason why I dislike Northwestern is my disbelief in its offense, whose scoring potential will be curtailed by several significant losses.

For starters, quarterback Peyton Ramsey is gone. The former Hoosier transfer played a seminal role in Northwestern's Big Ten West title last year.

His replacement was always going to be Ryan Hilinski or Hunter Johnson.

Despite his innumerable weaknesses and problems while tenuously established at South Carolina, Hilinski was widely favored to win the job.

However, he suffered a significant injury that held him back and gave the advantage to fellow quarterback Hunter Johnson.

Many Northwestern insiders expressed surprise that Johnson was named the starter. One reason for this surprise is his abysmal performance in the 2019 season, which was the last season that he competed in.

In 2019, Johnson threw one touchdown and four interceptions while failing to complete half of his 432 attempted passes.

Northwestern's Other Offensive Losses

Johnson will lack meaningful help.

The 2020 receiving leader, Ramaud Chiaokhiao-Bowman, has departed, as has the 2019 receiving leader, Riley Lees.

Based on returning players, a continual weakness in the interior offensive line can't help any element of the offensive impetus.

Running the ball was tremendously difficult for Northwestern.

Hope was placed in Cam Porter, who impressed during the offseason. However, he suffered a season-ending injury.

A lack of playmakers will monotonize Northwestern's offensive attack. A lack of experience will further hinder the Wildcats especially in the season opener, which, as a trend that I will discuss later will show, is commonly a difficult time for recent Northwestern squads.

Michigan State's Defensive Match-Up

Match-ups are important to consider because they can create a kind of advantageous quality that isn't reflected in the current odds.

Northwestern's interior of its offensive line is decisive for its offensive chances because it is a weak spot, a vulnerability, that can really hold the entire Wildcat offense back.

Last year, the Spartans almost finished top-40 nationally in limiting opposing rush yards per attempt.

They finished this strongly in this category despite having to deal with a bevy of novel cogs in their machine: there were new starters and new coaches, all of whom were trying to familiarize themselves with each other in the context of COVID.

Experienced (Junior or higher) returning starters include Jacub Panasiuk and Drew Beesley at the defensive end positions plus Jacob Slade at defensive tackle.

Slade returns after playing in every game in 2019 and starting every one in 2020. Fellow defensive tackle Dashaun Mallory returns after almost being a team leader in sacks last year, although 320-pound monster Jalen Hunt is ahead of him on the depth chart. The former Iowa commit (Hunt) gained some experience last year, wreaking havoc against teams like Michigan.

Beesley looks to build off a successful 2020 season in which he achieved career highs in tackles and sacks. He was a PFF All-Big Ten third-teamer.

Panasiuk has amassed significant career-long numbers, which have motivated different authorities this year to name him to preseason All-Big Ten teams.

Valuable transfers from Big Ten schools who were highly-ranked recruits will support the linebacking corps.

Several experienced starters and contributors will grace Michigan State's 2-4-5 scheme. This starting experience gives the Spartan secondary an edge against a Wildcat receiving crew that misses three of its top four yardage leaders from last season.

Slow Start Trend

In addition to my lack of faith in favored Northwestern's offense, a key trend explains why you should bet the underdog in this game.

In 2019, 2018, and 2017 -- the last three normal seasons -- the Wildcats went 0-3 ATS or 1-2 ATS to start the season.

This squad is known for starting slowly. A slow start will be triggered this year at least by a bevy of new faces, including an inexperienced and shaky quarterback who will be throwing to a lackluster receiving crew, unsupported by the injured Cam Porter, and frustrated by the interior offensive line.

On defense, a lot of key players have departed, including top playmaker and tackling machine, linebacker Paddy Fisher. Fellow multi-year starter at linebacker, Blake Gallagher, formed a solid duo with Fisher. But he, too, is gone.

In the secondary, Northwestern lost a cornerback in Greg Newsome II who was drafted in the first round of the most recent NFL Draft.

Michigan State Offense vs. Northwestern Defense

While the Spartans rushed surprisingly well in their upset win over Northwestern, their rushing numbers were paltry overall as they failed to exceed 100 yards in almost every game.

A bottom-ranked rushing offense that desperately needs continuity in its protection unit will help keep the game from becoming too high-scoring.

Payton Thorne, who did nothing last year except against an anomalously awful Penn State defense, is competing with the grad transfer Anthony Russo from Temple, who needs to build chemistry with his wide receivers, for the starting job.

In addition to subpar producers, the Spartan offense will be held back by its usual discontinuity and general disadvantage in its protection unit.

Meanwhile, the defensive line forms the strength of Northwestern's defense with key returners at every position.

So, in addition to betting on Michigan State because its defense and a key trend make it a live dog, also take the "under."

Best Bet: Spartans +3 at -108 with BetOnline & Under 45 at -108 with Heritage

I cannot blame you on these recommendations.

Obviously the money has poured in on Sparty all summer for this game...

That under seems correct unless we see short fields/overtime....

Many unknowns in this one...great point about slow starting NW of late...

i was hoping to see your thoughts on this one (didnt see thread yesterday), glad you like sparty, i kinda feel like both teams suck so it def seems like a spot taking the dog ml makes sense to me (kinda like one them mlb coin flip games where one team plus money!).. think im gonna use sparty ml to kick off a nice little dog ml round robin :)

Ugh hate seeing this, think Sparty might get a 40 burger dropped on them

no clue what you see in NW to think they drop 40? if they come close to scoring that ill nominate this for call of the year! lol,..i be shocked if they both combine for 40!!!! i usually suck at the big10 tho..

i was hoping to see your thoughts on this one (didnt see thread yesterday), glad you like sparty, i kinda feel like both teams suck so it def seems like a spot taking the dog ml makes sense to me (kinda like one them mlb coin flip games where one team plus money!).. think im gonna use sparty ml to kick off a nice little dog ml round robin :)
My threads got bumped down and I'm no longer aggressive about bumping them back up lol. I had NC State/USF and I also got Penn State/Wisconsin if you care to gander :)

no clue what you see in NW to think they drop 40? if they come close to scoring that ill nominate this for call of the year! lol,..i be shocked if they both combine for 40!!!! i usually suck at the big10 tho..
Looking at MSU last year whether you want to discount it or not, the fewest they gave up was 20 and I think they're significantly worse this year, wouldn't be surprised to see a defense/ST score or two. Their offense is going to suck, but their defense looks worse. This isn't a play on NW offense per se but MSU D gave up some crooked numbers to some less than stellar offenses

Bigger issue I have is taking over in any type this first week, it sure hasn't done to well the first batch of games but I'll be on the team total for some

Looking at MSU last year whether you want to discount it or not, the fewest they gave up was 20 and I think they're significantly worse this year, wouldn't be surprised to see a defense/ST score or two. Their offense is going to suck, but their defense looks worse. This isn't a play on NW offense per se but MSU D gave up some crooked numbers to some less than stellar offenses
Yea but northwestern isn’t normally scoring 40 ever on anyone and they lost most of their offensive production…

Yea but northwestern isn’t normally scoring 40 ever on anyone and they lost most of their offensive production…
Lol I said I could see them giving up 40, that's obviously not a prediction that they'll drop 40, that would obviously be silly

I agree sparty sucks, I find it hard to believe they be worse this year tho, and I just don’t think nw offense all that capable unless they do get several turnovers which certainly possible. I don’t have any strong feelings bout this game other than thinking take the plus money in a shitfest, certainly don’t love it.

I agree sparty sucks, I find it hard to believe they be worse this year tho, and I just don’t think nw offense all that capable unless they do get several turnovers which certainly possible. I don’t have any strong feelings bout this game other than thinking take the plus money in a shitfest, certainly don’t love it.
Difference is I believe NW is a borderline top 25ish team and MSU is far from that. Course that's why week one tends to kick my ass some years too

Difference is I believe NW is a borderline top 25ish team and MSU is far from that. Course that's why week one tends to kick my ass some years too

wow really? I mean I hate to discount their coach but nothing I’ve read or heard suggest they gonna be close to that this year. If you right you certainly have makings of a nice play here cause I agree msu not very good. I just don’t think they that good right now, I do think at some point they will pull a nice upset or 2 but that be little later in year I think. Only reason I was even looking at this game cause there so few options tonight, I can easily do without it! Lol

Got the revenge factor tonight too, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong but it's clearly one of my favorite games of the weekend

Got the revenge factor tonight too, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong but it's clearly one of my favorite games of the weekend

damn, good enough for me to stay away, you can have this one brother. I like a lot more a lot better 2marro. I wanna love unc tonight and I played them but it does scare me a bunch, not my typical type play buying into a hype train on road in tough place to play but can’t help it I really like heels.

Back