Michael Young asks to be traded

SHSUHorn

Thief
From Ken Rosenthal:

Rangers shortstop Michael Young asked to be traded after team officials told him in December that they want him to move to third base, according to major-league sources.

Young, 32, does not want to change positions. He was "absolutely livid" with the Rangers for making such a request just months after American League managers and coaches voted him a Gold Glove for the first time, one source said.

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels and manager Ron Washington informed Young shortly after the winter meetings that the team wanted him to play third to clear a spot for top shortstop prospect Elvis Andrus, 20. Club president Nolan Ryan did not attend the meeting.

[Young] would rather be traded than displaced for Andrus, who has yet to play above Class AA, sources said.

Young's agent, Dan Lozano, declined comment.

"The basic feeling was, let's get all of our championship-caliber players on the field at the same time," Daniels said. "We know Michael is one of them. We believe Elvis will be one of them. What is the best way?

"The decision was made that what fits best is if Michael is willing to move to third base. It really comes down to what is best for the team.

"I have tremendous respect for Michael, the work he puts in, what he's accomplished. Part of our (contractual) commitment to him is because of his leadership and the team-first player he is. Hopefully his willingness to make that transition would send a positive message to the rest of our organization."

But Young is opposed to the move.

The Rangers would seek a young third baseman in any trade for Young, sources said, creating the possibility of a deal with the White Sox, who could offer Josh Fields, or the Angels, who could offer Brandon Wood. The Mets and Dodgers also have expressed interest in Young this off-season.

Rangers president Nolan Ryan said he talked with Young on Friday. He added that the club had been discussing the move for "some period of time" and not just this off-season. Ryan said Young has not been given adeadline or ultimatum.

"If he's not comfortable with it, then I don't think it would work for us," Ryan said. "So I think it's too premature to make any type of prediction about how this is going to play out and what the lineup is going to look like coming out of spring training.

"I think what was important was to present it to him and see how he felt about it and see what his reaction was and give him time to give it some thought and see if it's something he can be comfortable with or if it was something he was totally opposed to."

Ryan said he thinks the club will have a better understanding of how things will play out in the next few weeks.

"He deserves some time to think about it," Ryan said. "If somebody had asked me to go to the bullpen instead of starting, I'd have to give that a lot of thought."

Daniels said he understood the irony of asking Young to switch positions just after the 32-year-old won a Gold Glove as shortstop. But Daniels and Ryan feel Andrus, who batted .295 with four homers, 65 RBIs, 54 stolen bases for Double-A Frisco last season, is ready for a shot at the everyday lineup. He committed 32 errors.

Richard Durrett with some Michael Young quotes:

"I'm not playing third base. I'm pretty adamant about my stance. I told them I wanted to be traded. The biggest misconception is that I was asked to move to third base. I was never asked. I was flat-out told. I was told I was playing third base. I felt that I had absolutely no say. I don't feel like there was any discussion or dialogue about the matter."

"At this point in my career, I didn't think it was fair to move. I reached out to teammates and former teammates and veterans to get their thoughts and everyone supported me. All I've ever done is think about the team and do what's best by them. But at the same time, when it comes to long-term commitment and respect factor, it should be a two-way street."

"I think that I've always been committed to this organization. I signed here. I wanted to stay here. I've been big on loyalty and mutual respect. But sometimes you have to worry about a message that might be sent about the organization and players. What does it say about the organization when you get to a point that no matter what you do, we'll snatch your job away no matter what happens. That's what happened."

With comments like this there is no question Young is gone and probably by the end of the week.

As a Ranger fan this is great news from a team standpoint. His contract is awful right now. He is 32 years old and owed 65 million over the next 5 years. His bat is declining and his range is suspect. Not even sure how or why he won the Gold Glove.

If they are willing to take on the entire rest of his contract of 5 years @ 65 million then as a Ranger fan I'd jump all over it.

While Fields still has time to improve, he is already 26 and has shown nothing but to have some power. He is a strikeout machine who cant hit for average and plays a terrible 3rd base. As a sox fan, if they can get a talent like Michael Young who can hit his way on base in front of the power hitters in Thome, Konerko, and Dye I am all for it. With the absurd deals being handed out these days, I dont think Young's contract is all that steep for the numbers he produces and my guess is Texas would pick up some of that money anyway.

Rangers will end up ahead here, getting rid of his god-awful contract, which looks even worse when you consider that his bat would be profiling as a 3B now, not a SS...

MLB.com reports that Michael Young has agreed to play third base this season and is no longer requesting a trade from the Rangers.
Quite a turnaround compared to his stance on the issue just a few days ago. Young moving to third base clears shortstop for prospect Elvis Andrus, although he's not a sure thing to begin this year in the majors anyway.
Source: MLB.com

oh, what a horrible 3B the Rangers have then. He'll probably be the worst 3B in the league if you look at OPS.

He played with two broken fingers in his hand so he can improve on last years numbers and shit the guy hits in between Hamilton and Kinsler. Tacking on some extra weight could help with the power.

He's better suited at 3B where his poor range won't be magnified. His strength of soft hands and strong arm should help upgrade the Rangers there since they were the worst defensively at 3B in the majors last year.

Now with Andrus the Rangers won't lead the MLG again of hits through the middle of the infield. Andrus can actually move to his left unlike MY.

He played with two broken fingers in his hand so he can improve on last years numbers and shit the guy hits in between Hamilton and Kinsler. Tacking on some extra weight could help with the power.

He's better suited at 3B where his poor range won't be magnified. His strength of soft hands and strong arm should help upgrade the Rangers there since they were the worst defensively at 3B in the majors last year.

Now with Andrus the Rangers won't lead the MLG again of hits through the middle of the infield. Andrus can actually move to his left unlike MY.

Young will definitely strengthen the 3B position...but there has to be concern with handing the SS position to a 20 year old kid who committed 32 errors LY and has never played above AA.

Young will definitely strengthen the 3B position...but there has to be concern with handing the SS position to a 20 year old kid who committed 32 errors LY and has never played above AA.

Jeter had 50 errors in in the minors one year, and their are a host of other SS that had pretty high error totals.

When your in the minors is the time when you find out when to hold on to the ball or when to make the spectacular. Andrus has plus plus range so I'm sure he had quite a few errors from trying to make the spectacular, plus how good are the 1B in the minors on the field compared to the majors, and the fields in the minors are pretty horrible compared to the bigs.

He also had a dislocated middle finger on his throwing hand that contributed to about 9 of his errors. The Rangers sat him out for close to 3 weeks to finally get it healed because it effected his hitting and fielding. He was a much different player when he came back from the injury.

Not making excuses for the kid but he's a fantastic fielder and I wouldn't just look at the 32 total error number. I've seen him play twice in Frisco and he just glides around effortlessly at SS.

Jeter had 50 errors in in the minors one year, and their are a host of other SS that had pretty high error totals.

When your in the minors is the time when you find out when to hold on to the ball or when to make the spectacular. Andrus has plus plus range so I'm sure he had quite a few errors from trying to make the spectacular, plus how good are the 1B in the minors on the field compared to the majors, and the fields in the minors are pretty horrible compared to the bigs.

He also had a dislocated middle finger on his throwing hand that contributed to about 9 of his errors. The Rangers sat him out for close to 3 weeks to finally get it healed because it effected his hitting and fielding. He was a much different player when he came back from the injury.

Not making excuses for the kid but he's a fantastic fielder and I wouldn't just look at the 32 total error number. I've seen him play twice in Frisco and he just glides around effortlessly at SS.

:cheers:

I'll take your eye witness testimony as to his prowess with the glove. And, for all the longsuffering Tejas Rangers fans I hope the kid is the 2nd coming of Jetes with the bat, too.....:shake:

Looks like the Rangers are about to sign Omar Vizquel as a stop gap. Good move. Andrus stays in AA for two months which gives Texas an etra year of FA (yes the Rangers spend like a small market team), and when he gets the call he's mentored by one of the greatest fielding SS ever and they are both from Venezuela.

Texas guys.

Does Smoak have a chance to make it this yr? I think he is getting invited to ST? He is sitting behind Chris Davis, Hank Blalock though at 1B. Kid has a bright future though, you guys got a steal cause he is a top 5 pick who is a switch hitter with power and has an excellent glove.

Texas guys.

Does Smoak have a chance to make it this yr? I think he is getting invited to ST? He is sitting behind Chris Davis, Hank Blalock though at 1B. Kid has a bright future though, you guys got a steal cause he is a top 5 pick who is a switch hitter with power and has an excellent glove.

I can't believe he fell to Texas and I like him better then Alonso and Homer. IMO the Mark Texiera comps are very comparable. I think he's got Gold Glove potential at first to go along with that tremendous bat.

He's the second best player in a ridiculous Ranger farm system that BA ranked #1 only behind the #2 pitching prospect in all of baseball IMO (Feliz).

I expect him to the Rangers opening day 1B in 2010.

Back