Mich St / Cal

E.T.G.

One of trus baby mommas
Why do you guys like Cal

I've leaned towards MSU the whole summer, odd of the one dog I do have a lean to, the whole board has the favorite.

Why I like MSU

1) I really like South Carolina's future coach in 5 years, Dantonio =)
2) MSU has best player on the field (Ringer)
3) MSU OL is big and strong, got 3 starters w/ more than 8 games of experience and 6 having satarting experience
4) Brian Hoyer is pretty decenty passer, will need some new WR's to get open.
5) I think the Cal Front 7 is soft (164ypg on the ground in 07)
6) I think Cal is very unproven in the skill positions (top 5 WR's gone, 2 of top 3 rb gone)
7) Although MSU went 2-3 on the road last year, they were 4-1 ATS

Thinking MSU+7 here

Against BG 300 allowed in the air, 520 to northwestern, 344 to Purdue. And who else on that schedule did they face with similarities to Cal.

Lean MSU everywhere else, and, Cal is not going to get any pressure on Hoyer.

Why do you guys like Cal

I've leaned towards MSU the whole summer, odd of the one dog I do have a lean to, the whole board has the favorite.

Why I like MSU

1) I really like South Carolina's future coach in 5 years, Dantonio =)
2) MSU has best player on the field (Ringer)
3) MSU OL is big and strong, got 3 starters w/ more than 8 games of experience and 6 having satarting experience
4) Brian Hoyer is pretty decenty passer, will need some new WR's to get open.
5) I think the Cal Front 7 is soft (164ypg on the ground in 07)
6) I think Cal is very unproven in the skill positions (top 5 WR's gone, 2 of top 3 rb gone)
7) Although MSU went 2-3 on the road last year, they were 4-1 ATS

Thinking MSU+7 here

1) Dantonio is an excellent coach; 3-0 as an AD LY.
2) Debatable, but definitely the most proven skill player
3) Yep, but Cal OL is a little better
4) I think Hoyer has pro potential
5) First notable disagreement; Cal LB's best in P10 save for USC and you can expect a much better pash rush this year; if there is a weakness to the cal defense. it's definitely the secondary.
6) RB Best is unproven, but a stud; watch him. The WR's are unproven but talented.
7) Yep and 3-0 as an AD; no trip like this, though.

Can Best take a pounding though? I watched him play some last year before he got hurt, he def looks like he needs a back to compliment him which will be redshirt-frosh Shane Vereen.

The WR's sure have some talent but there is just no experience at all.

I think he can take enough pounding to be the primary ball-carrier in game 1. I also added in that the Cal OL is a little better than MSU's, despite your good point about the Spartans returning starters. Cal OL has allowed 24 sacks L2Y in a pro-style offense and there have been holes for the Cal backs for years (4.9, 5.0, 5.8, 6.1 L4Y); they were breaking in new backs on a couple of those occasions. MSU loses their top two DL and if there is a 'soft' front 7 in this game, it lays on their side and though I would hardly call it that.

wait, wasn't think like MSU+7 a couple days ago?

I see MSU +4.5 now, if thats the case, i'm no longer intested

Cal was #2 in nation and lost to Oregon State when Riley ran the clock out not allowing a field goal. Since that time they went down the tank, before they were damn good.

Cal will not play with the same mindset they ended the year with and historically do well to begin the year.

bossup,

I wouldn't go as far as to say he is horrible, but he definitely holds onto the ball too long (taking unecessary sacks, and delivering the ball late)...without playmakers Thomas and Davis I believe he will be a little more exposed this year...I'm on Cal here as well...

bossup,

I wouldn't go as far as to say he is horrible, but he definitely holds onto the ball too long (taking unecessary sacks, and delivering the ball late)...without playmakers Thomas and Davis I believe he will be a little more exposed this year...I'm on Cal here as well...

yeh you described why i hate him perfectly with holding onto the ball too long... he also has happy feet and seems uncomfortable with pressure and no thomas to make huge plays after catch

cal -4.5 to the bank
ringer is very very solid but losses of caulcrick, thomas, and davis will allow cal to stock up on the run... ETG don't be fooled by Hoyers stats, he is not very good at all (pro potential is ludicrous), alot of YAC from thomas last year... I wouldn't expect a ton out of state this year unless dell can be this years devin thomas

pro potential is ludicrous

Well, i'll defer to an Michigan in-stater on this one; if I'm overrating Hoyer, I like Berkeley even more...despite the tree-dwelling hippies that may eventually drive Tedford out of there.

I go to Michigan State, although I am not a fan I do watch the games. I don't know a ton about the squad (at least in comparison to michigan) but I do feel like I have a firm grasp of what to expect. Michigan state has been getting a lot of hype as a sleeper team in the big 10 this year (which seems to happen a lot) but i just don't see it.
I remember the kicker Swenson's girlfriend at the time telling me there how much better a lot of the players thought a couple of the backups were than hoyer...i really believe he is nothing special in the least bit

Yeah I favor MSU here too big. Cal at first glance there looks like a trap. When you look into it... 2 programs going in different directions. Cal has a cake walk of a schedule but I don't see them winning these type of games by much. They lost a ton, and will be solid by the end of the year... but I expect Michigan St. to be able to run the ball and should bring a much improved defense to the field.

Your right on with Ringer being the best player. This game could turn into one of those back and forth type affairs. I predict Cal by a FG.

i think the line is accurate. the intention is to get equal action on both sides, and judging by the thoughts in this thread, it seems to be doing just that. fwiw, i will likely be on cal. wish i had time to give write-up.

I just feel like an initial thought Cal looks to be a 6 or 7 point home fav being 2000 miles away from MSU.. a top 3 PAC10 school vs. a top 6 or 7 B10 school. Look into it more though and you see why MSU can probably win SU.

gl

LB's will neutralize Ringer, leaving it to Hoyer to beat them...if he does, my hats off, but I like my chances with the Cal side here...

Back