Miami/Philadelphia, Cincinnati/Arizona, Kansas City/San Francisco Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
MLB Parlay for June 14: A Bet That Pays (+872)

Miami Marlins vs. Philadelphia Phillies
Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 7:05 p.m. ET at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia

Who Starts for Miami?

Miami starts Trevor Rogers who is coming off a win.

Don't let recency bias misguide you, though, because Rogers has done a terrible job of dealing with success.

After collecting the win against Washington on April 28, Arizona slammed him for five runs in 4.1 innings.

Likewise, he yielded five earned runs, including three home runs, in four innings against Atlanta after he had collected the victory in his previous start.

Rogers is in a bad spot tonight, therefore, because he is coming off a win.

Rogers vs. Philly Batters

Rogers may seem to be in a good spot tonight because of his strong ERA in Philadelphia's venue.

However, this strong ERA is masked by a concerning FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding), which undermines the notion that he tends to perform well in this venue.

Moreover, Philly matches up well with him, ranking sixth in slugging against his favorite pitches.

Who Starts for Philadelphia?

Philadelphia starts Zach Eflin.

There are two versions of this pitcher: one who yields a 7.13 ERA away from home.

The other version yields a 1.16 ERA and .164 BA at home.

Eflin is thus in a great spot tonight because he is pitching at home.

Moreover, he matches up well against Marlin batters.

Primarily, Eflin induces fly balls with his vast array of favorite pitches.

However, Miami's slugging rate is lowest -- .385 -- against fly ball pitchers.

Cincinnati Reds vs. Arizona Diamondbacks
Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 9:40 p.m. ET at Chase Field in Phoenix

Who Starts for Cincinnati?

The Reds start Tyler Mahle who is nearly their least profitable pitcher.

This season, the Reds are yielding -5.30 units in his starts.

Pertinently to this time, the NL West has given Mahle and his team the most trouble.

Cincinnati is 0-4, yielding -4.5 units, in Mahle's four starts against NL West opponents.

Mahle vs. Diamondback Batters

Primarily, Mahle throws a fastball and split-finger.

These pitches combine to make up about 75 percent of his arsenal.

Arizona batters promise to thrive tonight because they rank ninth in slugging against Mahle's two favorite pitches combined from righties.

Who Starts for Arizona?

Arizona starts Zach Davies who is coming off a tough-luck outing against the Reds.

In his last start, Davies' ERA was poor against the Reds.

However, his 1.31 FIP in that start indicates that he actually performed well.

He is sure to thrive tonight because he matches up well with Red batters.

Davies' favorite pitches are his sinker and changeup

Together, these pitches make up almost 85 percent of his arsenal.

Red batters, however, rank 26thin slugging against these two pitches combined from righties.

Kansas City Royals vs. San Francisco Giants
Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 9:45 p.m. ET at Oracle Park in San Francisco

Who Starts for Kansas City?

Kansas City starts Kris Bubic tonight.

It's easy to dismiss Bubic given his ERA.

However, one must keep in mind that ERA is a season-long statistic, and it is a long season.

A pitcher's ERA will reflect how he's performed this season, but it may mislead one as to how a pitcher is performing in a given stretch of the season.

Right now, Bubic is performing well.

After yielding a 3.74 FIP against Houston, he yielded a 2.22 FIP against Baltimore.

Bubic vs. Giant Batters

Bubic throws three pitches, and he throws them often: his fastball, changeup, and curveball.

His pitch selection and the fact that he is a lefty make him match up well against Giant batters.

They rank 25thin slugging .364 against these three pitches from lefties.

Expect little from team BA leader Thairo Estrada whose BA is .36 lower against left-handed pitchers than right-handed ones.

Who Starts for San Francisco?

The Giants start Logan Webb.

Similar to Bubic, Webb primarily throws three pitches.

These are: the sinker, changeup, and slider.

It's an unusual combo of pitches and one that Royal batters match up well against.

They rank ninth in slugging against these pitches from righties.

Best Bet: Phillies ML at -147, Diamondbacks ML at -117, & Royals at +212 at +827 odds with BetOnline

It’s odd that Eflin been so great at Philly being a fly ball pitcher, that could be concerning as Temps heat up. Here another stat for you to find, I’m curious about fish slug against fly ball pitchers, are those spilts close home/away or is their slug against fly ball pitchers way worse at home? Their park plays really big why I wonder.

Last time I watched Webb pitch he seemed to lack a wipe out pitch to finish hitters off, he was routinely getting batters in 0-2, 1-2 holes but hardly struck any of them out. Oddly enough since that game I watched (against cards obviously) he went on to have a few higher strikeout games in a row until not punching many out last start. Despite royals struggles at the plate they don’t really fan a lot so I could see them running his pitch count up. Or I suppose it could go the other way and they put a lot of balls in play early in the count. I’m just not sure what it is but seems like Webb missing something from previous years, I think this a crazy price for him.

Last time I watched Webb pitch he seemed to lack a wipe out pitch to finish hitters off, he was routinely getting batters in 0-2, 1-2 holes but hardly struck any of them out. Oddly enough since that game I watched (against cards obviously) he went on to have a few higher strikeout games in a row until not punching many out last start. Despite royals struggles at the plate they don’t really fan a lot so I could see them running his pitch count up. Or I suppose it could go the other way and they put a lot of balls in play early in the count. I’m just not sure what it is but seems like Webb missing something from previous years, I think this a crazy price for him.

Webb has induced only 48 swing-and-misses in 1,104 two-strike situations (4.35 percent rate)

Webb has induced only 48 swing-and-misses in 1,104 two-strike situations (4.35 percent rate)

Doesn’t surprise me. I don’t think he got 1 against cardinals! I remember this well cause I think it was easily the worst k prop I played all year! Lol. Far as result goes anyways, and it was incredibly frustrating since as mentioned he got everyone in a 2 strike hole with ease, one of strangest things I’ve seen for a guy to only have one punch out when he had so many hitters down 0-2!!

These days when you get a hitter down 0-2 you should fan him at a crazy high clip as guys don’t choke up. striking out isn’t as shameful as it was in the good old days! That might be the single worst thing about all the changes the analytics have brought, the fact that we been convinced all outs are equal so go ahead and strike out 200x a year is hurting the game way more than the shift imo!

Interesting thing about that is on one hand it ok to strike out while on the other they call it luck when pitchers get outs by contact! How can both things be true? If a strike out no different than a fly out for a hitter than why does a pitcher get penalized for allowing contact outs? Seems to me that says a hitter would be much better served to make contact even if it is a out, right? After all there a certain expectation for a guys average on balls in play, the average on a strike out will always be 0!!

These days when you get a hitter down 0-2 you should fan him at a crazy high clip as guys don’t choke up. striking out isn’t as shameful as it was in the good old days! That might be the single worst thing about all the changes the analytics have brought, the fact that we been convinced all outs are equal so go ahead and strike out 200x a year is hurting the game way more than the shift imo!

I can see how the shift hurting the game from an entertainment standpoint. But I think the defense should get to stand where it wants to!

*Matt Carpenter has entered the chat*

I can see how the shift hurting the game from an entertainment standpoint. But I think the defense should get to stand where it wants to!

*Matt Carpenter has entered the chat*

Even If shift does hurt the entertainment for some it can’t possibly be as bad as watching lineups strike out 10+ times a game!! That only entertaining when a elite pitcher doing it, not when some scrub throwing balls that getting swung at!!

We def agree that taking away the shift is garbage, it crazy to me they gonna tell guys where they have to stand!! Just to appease these hitters so they don’t have to change their approach any yet can have batting average artificially inflated!

Why don’t they just change the math in a way that makes batting averages higher, lol. Stop calling certain outs official at bats or some crap! lol

Back