Mexico blows ass and thoughts on the U.S

SHSUHorn

Thief
What a bunch of classless pricks. If I was Eddie Johnson I would of turned around and beat that goalies arse who tried to slide tackle him after the goal was already scored. What a cheapshot.

These guys and their country just can't get over the fact the U.S has passed them in soccer even though we probably consider the sport our 4th best option to play behind basketball, football, and baseball. You guys should of read the newspaper headlines when the U.S knocked them out of the quaterfinals at the 2002 cup.

The fact that Mexico has only won twice in the last 12 meetings and haven't even scored a goal this decade on U.S soil led them to bring a very veteran and A team to Phoenix last night. The new coach Hugo Sanchez had to win this game especially since it was played in Phoenix where according to Rico Clark the crowd was probably 70% mexican.

I watched the game with Brian Ching (didn't play because of a knee injury) and some other Dynamo players and later after the game while we were out Clark texted him that coming out of the locker room he had gotten hit by about three different times with cups filled with piss.

So with the U.S fielding a team full of young players trying to see what they were made of or gain valuable experience the Mexicans went for the win and still lost 2-0.

What I gained from the match and what might we look forward to in this year's GOld Cup and Copa America...

GK Tim Howard - I have no problem with the Everton keeper being our goalie now and in 2010. Goalie is one position we never have a problem with and Howard had a great second half.

DEFENDERS

D Chris Albright - We've got to have a better option then Albright at RB. The LA Galaxy defender got burned way to often for my taste and I wouldn't mind him taking a seat on the bench for the tournaments this summer. We are very thin at this position and this spot still belongs to 27 year old Hannover 96 defender Steve Cherundolo.

D Jimmy Conrad - Man of the match for me today. Not only was he a goal scorer in the game he was always in great position and saved the U.S on numerous occasions in the middle. He should've been starting in last summer's WC over Eddie Pope. He'll be starting in the middle for the tourneys and in outside chance in 2010 where he will be 33.

D Carlos Bocanegra - Showed today why he has regular playing time at Fulham right now. At age 27 he will be in the mix for this summers tournament but not sure if he moves outside to LB which he has played for the U.S and Fulham recently. Onyewu now at Newcastle is still clearly the teams best defender so moving Bocanegra outside to LB is a possibilty.

D Johnny Bornstein - Biggest revelation of the night is we might have found ourselves a LB for 2010. Great game by the 22 year old Bornstein who showed alot being that he's played the position less then a year and was only getting his 2nd cap for the U.S. If he keeps improving he will be in the mix but we do have some talent at this position.

If the WC were today my 4 starters are Cherundolo, Onyewu, Conrad, and Bocanegra.

Players with upside to watch for WC qualifying the coming years and the 2010 WC beside Bornstein.

Jay Demerit - The 27 year old is having a good season at center back for Watford in their first year in the EPL. They are going to be regulated though since they sit at the bottom of the standings so maybe he can catch on with somone else or return to the MLS so he can make a splash for the U.S team.

Johnathon Spector - The 20 year is the one defender I'm most excited about in his future for the U.S team in 2010. After spending his youth years with Manchester United he is currently starting at West Ham at LB where he has played well despite his age.

Marvell Wynne Jr.- The 20 year old was the #1 overall pick in last years draft and the son of former Padre Marvell Wynne Sr. He's one of the fastest players in the league and his progress will be one to watch under Bruce Arena at NY.

MIDFIELDERS

LM Bobby Convey - Wasn't impressed with Convey last night but he is coming off injury at Reading. The 23 year old is still one of our best players and this position is his to lose for the next few years.

CM Rico Clark - The Dynamo player is one of my boys but he didn't have a great game last night. It was only his third cap for the 23 year old midfielder and he will be ready when 2010 rolls around. I'm not sure why Bradley is matching him up with Mastro though in the middle since both are defensive midfielders. It could be with Reyna's retirement we have noone that can play that role yet but Clark excels in that role with Derosario in Houston.

CM Pablo Mastroeni - The 30 year old was captain last night and played solid defesively but still is not creative enough to lead an attack through the middle. He is suspended for the first two games of the Gold Cup and will be to old by 2010 so I'm not sure why we are still holding on to him. Time to let go and let Clark take his role.

RM Clint Dempsey - Showed flashes of what he can do the few times he got the ball. Got his wish and is playing in the EPL with Fulham so he will only get better with regular playing time. At 23 he is still one of our top 2 players on the team.

If the WC were today I'd go with Demspey, Clark, Feilhaber, and Convey (with Beasley coming in as the first sub).

Others to watch...

Demarcus Beasley - Now at Man city and still only 24 he has seemed to just fallen off the map of late and needs to maybe come back to the MLS and get more regular playing time.

Michael Bradley - At 19 he is the player I'm most excited about for his future in 2010 in the midfield. Plays in a great league in Holland that will only improves his game. Has already been capped by the U.S team twice oh and it helps his dad is the head coach.

Benny Feilhaber - At 22 he was a star for the U.S at the under 20 world championship and is currently playing in Germany. May replace Reyna as our holding midfielder a position we desperatley need.

Freddie Adu - Too much hype? I guess alot of us forget this kid is still only 17 years old. He played out of position at DC United and will get his chance to play the attacking center mid with Real Salt Lake this upcoming season. This season is going to be big for Freddy to show what he can do. I think this kid is still going to be one of our best players in 2010.

Justin Mapp - The 22 year old was very good vs Denmark a couple weeks ago and showed flashes of his creative brilliance. I was shocked he didn't come on to last nights game instead of Brian Carroll.

FORWARDS

Chris Rolfe - At 23 he shouldn't ever put a jersey on for the U.S team after his performance last night.

Landon Donovan - At 24 he is still our best player despite all the crap he took for the past WC. I guess everyone forgets how we would've lost the Italy game last summer if not for his dribbling and ball presence. Last night proved he needs to be at forward and not at attacking mid. He has been tearing the MLS up since that summer and will be a staple on the U.S team for years. Him blowing pass the ultimate cheap shot artist, grease ball Barca defender Rafeal Marquez was brilliant.

My forward if the WC were today Donovan and Cooper.

Others to watch...

Eddie Johnson - A 22 he has all the talent in the world but just can't seem to turn it on. He did look decent when paired with Donavon tonight instead of a statue target forward like Mcbride or Ching.

Kenny Cooper - At 22 the 6'4 left Manchester reserve team and came back to the MLS and lit the league up last year. Because of Ching's knee issues he is the U.S #1 target forward right now

Josmer Altidore - At 17 he is the most exciting U.S prospect we have. Yes I know he's only appeared in 6 MLS games he did score in half of those and it doesn't take much to see this kid has all world talent. At 6'2 with blazing speed the sky is the limit for this youngster.

Coach Bob Bradley - Still not sold on him as a coach despite the win. Some questionable moves include two destroyers in the middle and bringing in Carroll instead of Mapp. Still would prefer a big time coach like Pekerman.

Thanks. I don't think many know but soccer is my first love (yes more then VY) having played it all my life and in college.

Nice writeup, and if I were starting the team from scratch, I wouldn't really mind Howard back there. Other than that, though, you can almost cast off the whole lot.

Not to just be a prick, but on the whole, I find that team is still pretty much dogs**t. Some of the defenders played all right last night, but mostly, though, that team is awful bordering on unwatchable. The Mexican team, however, might actually be worse.

Watching that game last night through the first half I wanted to claw my eyes out. It was really simply a pathetic display by both sides, particularly in a game that actually did mean quite a bit for both teams. The U.S. goal was nice, I'll give them that, but usually bad teams rely on set pieces to have a chance to score and last night looked no different.

On the other side, I don't know what has happened to the Mexican team over the course of the last ten years, but they're almost laughably bad. They're slow, they're not creative (though, when was a Mexican team creative), and as Horn rightly points out, they've got zero class. That country must be so proud.

The sad part from the U.S. point of view is that the U.S. is trying to actually improve and yet their nearest competition keeps getting worse. Other than the fact that the U.S. program seems so poorly run, it's no wonder they can't make strides in international play, because they keep playing teams like Mexico, Canada, and the rest of these piss-poor teams in the region.

joe, I think the big problem last night with the attack was not having a Reyna type creative midfielder in the middle. They've tried with Donovan but he's just not that type of player. They had two D-mids playing in the middle and it was disaster. Feihaber, Adu, or Bradley need to show something here in the next few years or we will be in trouble in 2010.

I haven't been impressed with Bradley's strategy thus far either and would wish they would renegotiate with Klinsmann to get him back in the mix.

give the US another 2 years, they will be a good squad. THe youngsters are really doing well and the amount of money being spent is ridiculous. Also more players now playing in respective clubs in Europe, most notably in England. As much as i really am not a fan of US Futbol, its always good to see this sport grow in an area where the game is really look aside. Hopefully the MLS will change perspective of the game to new heights.

I'm not really a fan of U.S. soccer either, but it would be nice to see the team improve and I just don't share Horn's optimism. Like he mentions, their midfield was horrible last night, at least offensively.

I look at that team and think that up front they need a little bit of everything. Some size, some speed (though they have a little of it now), and most of all, an ability to finish. I'm really surprised at how undertalented that team seems to be. Now, it may not be in reality, but that's how they play, at least from what I've seen.

I didn't think the coaching was all that bad last night, but I think it was relative. I think Mexico was poorly coached and played poorly so it made the U.S. play and coaching look better than it probably was.

I also agree with Horn, why Klinsmann didn't get the job and why he's not in the mix strikes me as just another example of how and why U.S. soccer seems to continually spin its wheels.

I'm not really a fan of U.S. soccer either, but it would be nice to see the team improve and I just don't share Horn's optimism. Like he mentions, their midfield was horrible last night, at least offensively.

I look at that team and think that up front they need a little bit of everything. Some size, some speed (though they have a little of it now), and most of all, an ability to finish. I'm really surprised at how undertalented that team seems to be. Now, it may not be in reality, but that's how they play, at least from what I've seen.

I didn't think the coaching was all that bad last night, but I think it was relative. I think Mexico was poorly coached and played poorly so it made the U.S. play and coaching look better than it probably was.

I also agree with Horn, why Klinsmann didn't get the job and why he's not in the mix strikes me as just another example of how and why U.S. soccer seems to continually spin its wheels.

the blame isn't or shouldn't be on the US Soccer Federation, Klinsmann wasn't interested as much as we had anticipated.

Really, TM, I thought the deal was kind of close to being done and then blew up.

I could totally be off, though.

Weird that he'd just leave Germany, with everybody having him slated for what was thought to be the perfect job for him only to now end up with him out of the game.

It was my understanding that Klinsmann wanted more control than the US Soccer Association was ready to give up...

I don't know too much, though-I'm only starting to really get into soccer seriously recently. Never played as a kid...but I'm really starting to love watching the sport. Gotta get the Fox Soccer Channel though...

ok my problem with Klinsmann is that he is a one hit wonder. That was his first coaching job and quite frankly it proved nothing. He coached Germany in Germany where obviously the host nation has a huge advantage. Now who they have settled with in Bradley in comparision to Klinsmann....i don't know whats going on there, but we shall see, for all we know he is an "interim" Most national team coaches only work short years so i don't know why it is difficult for the US to find a coach.

joe, That team last night was nowhere near what we would field this summer at the Gold Cup, Copa America, or the WC in 2010. That was a B team so don't use that game to judge the team.

You had three players only starting for the second time ever.

You had two defensive mids playing in the middle.

We have several players in the 17-22 range that are some of the best youth products the country's ever seen in Adu, Altidore, Bradley, Spector, Ngyuen, Mapp are just some of the names the casual soccer fan doesn't know but will soon know come 2010.

The World Cup in 1994 when it was played on U.S soil was our boom that put soccer on the map. Back then you had only John Harkes playing in the England second league. Now with the MLS being around for 10 years delevloping our talent and more interest in soccer gaining you now have close to 12 Americans starting in the EPL plus others in various leagues in Holland and Germany.

toronto, Klinsmann didn't get the job because Sunil Gulati didn't want to give as much control as Klinsi wanted.

Quieroz the asst coach at Man U is who they are trying to lure from what I'm hearing.

Pekerman would be great but he can't speak english.

Quieroz the asst coach at Man U is who they are trying to lure from what I'm hearing.

Pekerman would be great but he can't speak english.

HAHAHAHA Guus Hiddink is coaching the Russian team but he can't speak Russian ;-) you never know

I think the key problem is really within the system. Trying to find a top class coach that is American is really really really tough. I would rather hire someone within the country because they know how the system runs and have easier contacts.

toronto, yeah that's what i was getting at. We need a coach that speaks Eng and understands our game. We are the only country that relies on college players and don't have deep youth development academies like the Euros except for Generation ADDIDAS.

I hear what you're saying about this being the B-Team, and I can accept that. Hell, I'm not even really a fan of the US team, so it doesn't much matter to me. But still watching that game it just looked like an extension of how poor their general style and coaching is.

I cut the US a little slack because the best athletes we produce as a country do not go into professional soccer. It just doesn't happen, so I can understand that we scrape for talent, but at some point that's going to change and, going by what I've seen, when it does, this squad is still going to struggle because they're put together so poorly.

Back