Mets vs Diamondbacks Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Snakes Can’t Breathe in the Metropolitan

The Mets open a three-game home series against Arizona at 7:10 ET. The Mets are heavy chalk. But, despite being in a slump, they promise to deliver.

Arizona Diamondbacks (25-18) at New York Mets (20-19)

MLB Pick: Mets ML

This looks like a gross game. The Diamondbacks have lost seven of eight and the Mets 10 of 14. But consider that the Mets are 7-2 after a day off and 4-0 after a day off following a loss. Expect a strong, bounce-back performance.

New York’s Jacob deGrom (3-0, 1.83 ERA) returns from the DL. He had made his official return on May 13, but was interrupted by a rain delay and threw only 45 pitches, an amount similarly tiny to what he threw on May 2 before getting injured. He is healthy and extremely well-rested, so it’s worth noting that, with six days’ rest, his career ERA is 2.42.

DeGrom is primed to prolong his 19-inning scoreless streak. He is building off his improvement from the first half of last year by striking out more batters and surrendering fewer homers. His sinker, slider and change have enjoyed an uptick in velocity. He is rediscovering his comfort with his favorite pitch, the fastball, which had declined in usage in 2017 but has recovered its usual usage. In three of his past four months, opponents are slugging under .200 against it, whereas they had slugged over .300 against it in four of the five months prior to September. His fastball, like his slider, is inducing a higher percentage of whiffs. Mechanically, deGrom has reduced the variation of his vertical release points, which shows that he is more comfortable repeating his delivery, which a pitcher needs to find consistency.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Zack Godley (4-2, 4.08 ERA) is a great pitcher. For the first three innings. His FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) spikes to 6.01 when pitching for the second time through the order and 4.49 for the third time. These struggles have been inapparent in his career against the Mets, five runs allowed in 19 innings. Active New York batters are hitting .179 in 39 at-bats against him and they will miss the help of injured hitters Todd Frazier, Yoenis Cespedes and possibly Juan Lagares.

Godley had been a reliever. He had relied primarily on a sinker-cutter-curve combo until he reduced his cutter usage because opponents were slamming it and replaced it with more curveballs. As typical with ground ball pitchers, he loves to throw his breaking stuff at the batter’s knees. He did this last season against the Mets with smashing success both times he faced them. On May 15, three of his four most frequent pitch locations were in the most bottom row in the strike zone. On August 23 his five most frequent locations were there. This detail is essential because, since 2017, the Mets rank third in slugging against the sinker and curve in the bottom row of the zone. Godley has therefore been anomalous in his success against the Mets. However, this year, Godley has deteriorated in that his pitches are losing significant velocity, particularly as he gets deeper into outings. His opposing FIP after the first time through the order are career highs.

Both lineups are slumping: Arizona's is averaging less than two runs in its past eight games. The Mets are averaging fewer than two runs in their past five games, with the exception of one blowout. But the Mets will exploit Godley’s problem with endurance, plus his match-up difficulty as a ground ball pitcher, and protect the lead with its fresh bullpen. Seth Lugo and Robert Gsellman have sub-3.05 ERAs. Paul Sewald has yet to allow a run in consecutive outings.

If the Mets are too chalky for you, feel free to parlay it with a game of your choosing, with the ‚under,' stick it in an open parlay, or simply reduce your wager size.

Last edited:
45 pitches is like a bullpen session. I see no problem with the 6 days‘ rest statistic. But its not quintessential to the bet either.

Damn why can‘t I ever submit an article without grammar mistakes. I always find at least one but only after submitting.

If you take away the Dbacks wins against my lowly Doyers, they’re barely a .500 squad. They’ve been playing terrible lately as well. Mets a bit chalky like you mentioned but seems to be the proper side based on the pitching match ups.

Same thing with Cards. Take away the one opponent that they smash regularly and you see what they really are. Lots of skewed records atm created by specific schedule oddities

The Diamondbacks (25-18) have lost seven of eight, and while their 3.31 ERA leads the National League, a struggling offense (Arizona entered Thursday ranked 13th in the NL with 3.95 runs per game) absorbed a huge blow Monday, when star center fielder A.J. Pollock suffered a broken left thumb while diving for a ball. He is expected to miss four to eight weeks.The Diamondbacks have scored two runs or fewer six times in the last eight game and have scored more than four runs just once in 15 games this month
DeGrom, who missed his previous turn due to a hyperextended right elbow, made the shortest start of his career in the Mets' 4-2 loss to the Phillies, against whom he walked three in a scoreless first inning before being pulled because he threw 45 pitches -- the most he's thrown an inning as a major leaguer. He enters Friday with a 19 1/3-inning scoreless streak dating back to April 21.
Godley allowed four runs in 6 1/3 innings as the Diamondbacks fell to the Washington Nationals 6-4.
DeGrom won his only career start against the Diamondbacks on June 7, 2015, when he allowed three runs (two earned) in seven innings in the Mets' 6-3 victory. Godley is 1-1 with a 2.25 ERA in four games (three starts) against the Mets.

Did I just come out of some type of drug induced coma and miss a few months? Please tell me degrom didn't make his last start on August 13th!!!

Despite the month hopefully being off I'm glad you pointed out what happened in that 1st start, I saw he came out after only 1 inning but hadn't realized it was due to a rain delay.

45 pitches is like a bullpen session. I see no problem with the 6 days‘ rest statistic. But its not quintessential to the bet either.

Damn why can‘t I ever submit an article without grammar mistakes. I always find at least one but only after submitting.

You not alone, when I post a write up on a game I never notice my mistakes till after making the post then editing. Not sure it makes ya feel any better knowing I do the same but at least ya have company! :)

Hey bud, quick question. Where do you find a pitchers velo by inning? I see you reference that often and that something I'd be incredibly interested In having access to!!

If you take away the Dbacks wins against my lowly Doyers, they’re barely a .500 squad. They’ve been playing terrible lately as well. Mets a bit chalky like you mentioned but seems to be the proper side based on the pitching match ups.

Our cardinals have same thing going on, if it wasn't for the lowly reds we would be a below .500 team.

Those lowly reds swept us at Doyers Stadium! We even lost to Matt Frickin Harvey!!

Lol, I know I thought bout that after I posted.. we just got incredibly fortunate and caught them at right time! To a degree anyways, of course those stinking reds proceeded over to San Fran and lost both games (of course I was on them, lol).

@2daBank

Lmao yea my editor just made fun of me for the August thing. So no worries about the drugs you do!

Finding errors after submission is very common its a common complaint among students writing essays! Thats why I try not to read my essays after submission, pointless frustration

Brooksbaseball you can look at everything by year month game or inning!

Any concern in degrom being on the DL and making 1st start off it last week only threw 1 inning, 45 pitches, and his ball was everywhere. Control wasn’t there.

Cheaper than -140 mets

Ff rl for Cle at + is superb value with Clevinger in ballpark that he fits very well in

Back