MD / Nevada....

vanzack

Pretty much a regular
Im liking MD more and more here....

Line up to +3, ML at +130 ish.

Be a humanitarian and someone talk me off the ledge on this one please.

Opinions?

-Nevada runs it well and stops the run well
-maryland pass game is predicated on ability to power run.
-Heyward-Bey is less than 100% and might avoid contact to protect pro career ( see maclin last night )
-maryland fan does not travel well
-nevada familiar with city , stadium , blue turf
-nevada has the better qb
-maryland a terrible road team
-motivation
-nevada familiairty with playing in cold and altitude ( 3000 ft roughly )

Concerns with nevada

-Fat Ralph can coach
-nevada pass defense is sickly bad
-maryland is bigger , faster and stronger
-ACC > WAC

some quick hitters

-Heyward-Bey is less than 100% and might avoid contact to protect pro career ( see maclin last night )
-motivation

Concerns with nevada

-Fat Ralph can coach
-ACC > WAC

some quick hitters

Thanks.

In my head, these are my responses:

-Nevada runs it well and stops the run well Their stats against the run are only good because they are so terrible against the pass. Who needs to run when you can pass for anything you want? Also, numbers skewed because they play in the WAC.
-maryland pass game is predicated on ability to power run. In the ACC yes, against Nevada will they really have to run to be able to pass?
-Heyward-Bey is less than 100% and might avoid contact to protect pro career ( see maclin last night ) - Cant disagree here....
-maryland fan does not travel well - TimH said there will be no MD fans there, I believe it.
-nevada familiar with city , stadium , blue turf - yes.... some advantage.
-nevada has the better qb - for sure.
-maryland a terrible road team - yes, but in ACC.
-motivation - Im not totally buying this one. I have seen game after game where people claimed motivation issues that havent come through - wake, ND, Miami - I think you can claim motivation for every team in every situation of these crappy bowls.
-nevada familiairty with playing in cold and altitude ( 3000 ft roughly ) - OK, cant argue...

Concerns with nevada

-Fat Ralph can coach - and if he will open it up and throw downfield, I think this is the key to the game.
-nevada pass defense is sickly bad - Terrible.
-maryland is bigger , faster and stronger - and play in the ACC....
-ACC > WAC - Nevada beat this season: Grambling, Idaho, UNLV, Utah St, Fresno, San jose, and Louisian Tech. MD played about a half dozen bowl teams.

Im most worried about what TimH writes about - the spot for MD - because I think if this was a regular season game I would be much bigger on them - but if they just come out and go through the motions I wont be happy.

GL

:cheers:

Definitely a concern that Nevada plays in the WAC when achieving their rush defense stats and it is also a concern that the WAC has looked really bad in the bowls so far.

TCU dominated Boise st badly
notre dame dominated hawaii badly
latech victory was shaky at best ( thank goodness for it though )

Whereas the ACC has looked pretty good for the most part when harrison beck isn't in the game.

Point taken on maryland being able to pass without needing to run in this particular game... also have to have faith in friedgen to do what they need to. The guy is a master gameplanner imo.

Yes maryland has played some better competition but they have played poorly in these types of spots

14-7 win over delaware
24-14 loss at mtsu
31-0 loss at virginia
51-24 win vs emu

note the two losses were the away games. ( 1-4 on the year )

And Nevada scores on just about anyone .. i dont think maryland has put up 30 except for the game vs eastern mich ( i could be wrong on that )

i like the motivational angles including last years new mexico bowl performance and i think motivation has ruled the day so far this bowl season. wake , notre dame , tcu , northewestern , etc etc but it is hard to determine at times.

If you think maryland comes to play their best then i can understand taking a fg because they will win outright. i just see nothing from them to indicate this is the spot. i bet on them with success against cal , wake and unc who were all ranked at the time they played maryland so its not like i dont like this terp team in the right spot .... this just looks to be a bad one to me.

Cant argue with any of that vegaskyle, and to be honest - that is my biggest concern - MD coming out flat and just rolling over.

GL today.

-motivation

Concerns with nevada

-Fat Ralph can coach
-ACC > WAC

That pretty much sums it up.

Can Ralph squeeze any motivation out of the fact that the Terps are dogged to a WAC team?

Cant argue with any of that vegaskyle, and to be honest - that is my biggest concern - MD coming out flat and just rolling over.

GL today.

This is clearly the key. If MD plays inspired and motivated they should win. I think that by halftime of all of these bowl games it has been easy to get a read on whether or not a team gives a shit.

I'll shit this one out and watch.....should be obvious by half who cares and who does not.

GL all!

Hoping MD is inspired and motivated is the question that needs to be answered but can't be answered by us.. I suspect they won't be but if I am wrong I still think it is a competitive game.. If they aren't inspired, Nevada could role them... Just me, but more comfortable backing the team that I am certain will be focused..

Matchup wise--- Maryland has no chance to control Nevada QB whose name I can't spell.. Can MD outscore Nev? Perhaps, but I personally don't think so..

just my .2 cents bro..

It's just my opinion, but Ault is just as good, if not better than fat Ralph. Hell, the guy is already in the Hall of Fame...and he created the Pistol Offense that's so tough to stop, in terms of the run game. That's gotta tell ya somethin.

IMO, no coaching edge...just a talent edge for Maryland. I will stick with the better QB.

Last edited:
motivation - Im not totally buying this one. I have seen game after game where people claimed motivation issues that havent come through - wake, ND, Miami - I think you can claim motivation for every team in every situation of these crappy bowls.

I did not read any quotes from Grobe, Weis or Shannon lamenting the fact he was having a hard time motivating his particular team for their bowl game. On the other hand, there are numerous articles with Friedgen expressing concern about his teams apparent lack of focus for this game.

I have a strong lean to Maryland, but I don't want to be sitting on my couch watching an unmotivated Terp squad mail it in against an inspired opponent while my money goes down the drain.

Good luck with whatever you decide; since you're playing just about every bowl game, may I be so bold as to suggest one of your 1 unit plays on the Terps?

motivation - Im not totally buying this one. I have seen game after game where people claimed motivation issues that havent come through - wake, ND, Miami - I think you can claim motivation for every team in every situation of these crappy bowls.

I did not read any quotes from Grobe, Weis or Shannon lamenting the fact he was having a hard time motivating his particular team for their bowl game. On the other hand, there are numerous articles with Friedgen expressing concern about his teams apparent lack of focus for this game.

I have a strong lean to Maryland, but I don't want to be sitting on my couch watching an unmotivated Terp squad mail it in against an inspired opponent while my money goes down the drain.

Good luck with whatever you decide; since you're playing just about every bowl game, may I be so bold as to suggest one of your 1 unit plays on the Terps?

Im already on it for 2 units....

Was contemplating more but I think I will hold off because of this motivation issue....

If MD comes to play I think they win, and I wont be able to sleep if I dont bet it and then the game plays out like I think it will.

GL

I'll be looking to make some in-game money on this one, you should get a good feel where this one is heading early on.

Thanks.

In my head, these are my responses:

-Nevada runs it well and stops the run well Their stats against the run are only good because they are so terrible against the pass. Who needs to run when you can pass for anything you want? Also, numbers skewed because they play in the WAC.
-maryland pass game is predicated on ability to power run. In the ACC yes, against Nevada will they really have to run to be able to pass?
-Heyward-Bey is less than 100% and might avoid contact to protect pro career ( see maclin last night ) - Cant disagree here....
-maryland fan does not travel well - TimH said there will be no MD fans there, I believe it.
-nevada familiar with city , stadium , blue turf - yes.... some advantage.
-nevada has the better qb - for sure.
-maryland a terrible road team - yes, but in ACC.
-motivation - Im not totally buying this one. I have seen game after game where people claimed motivation issues that havent come through - wake, ND, Miami - I think you can claim motivation for every team in every situation of these crappy bowls.
-nevada familiairty with playing in cold and altitude ( 3000 ft roughly ) - OK, cant argue...

Concerns with nevada

-Fat Ralph can coach - and if he will open it up and throw downfield, I think this is the key to the game.
-nevada pass defense is sickly bad - Terrible.
-maryland is bigger , faster and stronger - and play in the ACC....
-ACC > WAC - Nevada beat this season: Grambling, Idaho, UNLV, Utah St, Fresno, San jose, and Louisian Tech. MD played about a half dozen bowl teams.

Im most worried about what TimH writes about - the spot for MD - because I think if this was a regular season game I would be much bigger on them - but if they just come out and go through the motions I wont be happy.

GL

:cheers:
All good responses, and to confirm I heard on the radio today from the Wash post beat writer who is in Boise and was a guest on John Thompson's radio program that MD sold only 800 tickets to the game. Maryland is pissed they ended up in this bowl and as I said before they have problems with leadership from within the team itself. This is a bad spot for them imo.

I played MD too...I read TimH's writeup and while he knows that program better than anyone, I will discount the situational handicapping if the actual fundamental edges are there...Look at above who Nevada beat - then remember what New Mexico did to them last yr in the bowl game (shut them out)...MD just has better athletes and Im betting on the Fridge to get their heads on straight and man for man, the Terps are better...

I just want you guys to know that I made out with one of Chris Ault's daughters one time and I was thinking of it and laughing the entire second half as I lost my Nevada bet...

Back