Mayweather v. Madiana II - September 13th

There's no one else for him to fight in September.

In a perfect world, we'd get Mayweather at a decent number, due to how the first fight played out. But my guess is he'll still be a substantial favorite.

Literally just wandered into this thread to link up that article. An amazingly well done piece by Daniel Roberts that cuts through the bullshit "Mayweather fog" and calls him out for what he is: a serial domestic assaulter, and a despicable human being.

Haha. I'm glad someone read the article...I thought after I posted it, there would be more than a few guys (even non 'boxing' guys) who would have commented on it.

Agree 100% with you as well....it cuts through the BS and exposes Mayweather for what he is....a scumbag who beats on women repeatedly. He is NOT someone who should ever be looked up to or idolized in any way. He is literally a piece of shit.

I read it yesterday, too. Good read. I would never tell my son to look up to him, but I sure wouldn't mind if he could fight like him.

Truth is, a lot of fighters are pieces of shit. Mayweather is just the one under the microscope.

I read it yesterday, too. Good read. I would never tell my son to look up to him, but I sure wouldn't mind if he could fight like him.

Truth is, a lot of fighters are pieces of shit. Mayweather is just the one under the microscope.
:shake:

Without doubt Mayweather is the greatest fighter of his generation.

He is also a violent sociopath who considers women purchasable objects, much like the cars or copious amounts of jewelry he owns. Beating the mother of two of your children so badly she might have died unless her child escaped the house to call 911 and not be reprimanded by the NSAC is beyond disgrace. The article puts it into perspective, Chavez Jr. was suspended 9 months with a million dollar fine for testing positive for marijuana. Floyd wasn't even questioned by them after the arrest and had his jail date moved back so he could fight on cinco de mayo.

At times it is depressingly sad how much money talks in this country.

You guys have a mom and a father? I bet you do. But I also would bet you or the idiot who wrote this article that your home life growing up wasn't anything like floyd mayweathers. So to sit in this forum today and call someone a piece of shit and an misogynist without pointing out the shit this man has been through. Both parents addicted to crack. Lol his parents were pieces of shit. This man made something out of nothing. His issues most likely stem from his early childhood. You blame floyd, blame him for being the greatest fighter of our generation. Don't hate haters

Without doubt Mayweather is the greatest fighter of his generation.

He is also a violent sociopath who considers women purchasable objects, much like the cars or copious amounts of jewelry he owns. Beating the mother of two of your children so badly she might have died unless her child escaped the house to call 911 and not be reprimanded by the NSAC is beyond disgrace. The article puts it into perspective, Chavez Jr. was suspended 9 months with a million dollar fine for testing positive for marijuana. Floyd wasn't even questioned by them after the arrest and had his jail date moved back so he could fight on cinco de mayo.

At times it is depressingly sad how much money talks in this country.

Lol floyds not the first person to ask for a "stay" or for a hearing to be moved back. Happens all of the time in court. Especially when you got a lot of money . Stop hating fellas. everyone of his fights is a new pay day for everyone . How can you hate?

Am I missing something? Doesn't pretty much all of this forum absolutely love Floyd?

You guys have a mom and a father? I bet you do. But I also would bet you or the idiot who wrote this article that your home life growing up wasn't anything like floyd mayweathers. So to sit in this forum today and call someone a piece of shit and an misogynist without pointing out the shit this man has been through. Both parents addicted to crack. Lol his parents were pieces of shit. This man made something out of nothing. His issues most likely stem from his early childhood. You blame floyd, blame him for being the greatest fighter of our generation. Don't hate haters

It's all his parents fault, I see. So it's okay that he beats women?

Am I missing something? Doesn't pretty much all of this forum absolutely love Floyd?

Floyd by decision is about as sure a thing as you're going to find in sports betting. I love that.

I just don't concern myself with what someone does outside the ring. Specifically where Mayweather is concerned. People are so emotionally involved when it comes to Mayweather. Half the people betting against him are doing so because "Mayweather's a meanie" and they want to see him lose. So consumed with hate for Floyd "the human being" that they're blind to the fact that Floyd "the fighter" is something extraordinary.

For example, Chico Corrales was a well known woman beater. But he's praised to the moon and back these days because he died in a motorcycle wreck, where he was drunk well beyond the legal limit. Manny Pacquiao cheats on his wife and knocks up hookers. No one bats an eye. Arturo Gatti beat his wife. Warrior. The list is long. A LOT longer than just Mayweather.

that's the problem with boxing, a lot of these guys come from really rough backgrounds. rich kids don't normally grow up boxing, lacrosse or golf make a lot more sense for them.

for me, i just separate the athletes from the person. floyd ain't someone i'd want my sister to date, but that's not why i watch him fight. i also agree with paid in full that it should be mentioned that the kid came from an absolutely destructive, and violent background. Does that fact excuse his horrific behavior towards women? no. of course not. but understanding where the dude came from and what he went through helps us stop violence against women before it starts.

I DVRed the HBO card...about to pass out...Saw the 1st Rd TKO

Zou was in the books....cant wait for a big fight with him....but I was in and out

now I need Rigo to wake me up lol......i hate my chances...but who knows

It's all his parents fault, I see. So it's okay that he beats women?

Never said either one of those things. He went to jail and did time. But the way some people are talking in here, sounds like they want him lynched or some shit. Felt I had to say something in his defense. A lot of athletes have issues. Dante Stallworth was drunk and hit someone in his car and killed him. I got more of a problem with these athletes out drinking and driving at a high rate of speed. Thinking they're invincible, putting innocent lives at risk. Rather than Floyd slapping some hoe who probably said some dumb ass shit

Floyd by decision is about as sure a thing as you're going to find in sports betting. I love that.

I just don't concern myself with what someone does outside the ring. Specifically where Mayweather is concerned. People are so emotionally involved when it comes to Mayweather. Half the people betting against him are doing so because "Mayweather's a meanie" and they want to see him lose. So consumed with hate for Floyd "the human being" that they're blind to the fact that Floyd "the fighter" is something extraordinary.

For example, Chico Corrales was a well known woman beater. But he's praised to the moon and back these days because he died in a motorcycle wreck, where he was drunk well beyond the legal limit. Manny Pacquiao cheats on his wife and knocks up hookers. No one bats an eye. Arturo Gatti beat his wife. Warrior. The list is long. A LOT longer than just Mayweather.

I think this forum does a great job of staying above the typical foaming-at-the-mouth love / hate arguments that normally happen around Floyd and Manny. We're doing a great job with a tough subject here as well. I think we all agree and realize Floyd's accomplishments inside the ring are unquestionably the best of his generation. His intelligence inside the ring is the best I have ever seen and it is why he continues to embarrass top fighters into his late thirties. He's a generational talent who's only peer is probably Roy Jones Jr. Just want to get that out of the way before Paid in Full comes in to call me a hater again.

My previous post was poorly worded and didn't do a good job of pointing out what I thought was a very intriguing part of the article: At what point does an athletic commission discipline a fighter for violent offences away from the ring? Or do we continue to see the norm from the NSAC, NYSAC, and NJSAC of burying their head in the sand as long as they continue to get their sanctioning fees? Is it even an athletic commissions responsibility? Boxing is unique to any other sport in this aspect as they have no unified governing body coupled with multiple spheres of influence (Promotional, athletic commissions, sanctioning organizations, and television) that have power over almost every decision. This creates an uphill battle to even make fights, let alone address serious issues like discipline for domestic violence. It is next to impossible to see any near term change unless we see the big four sports in this country seriously address the issue, which looks to be happening in the NFL with Ray Rice likely receiving a serious suspension for the coming season.

Lets be honest though, regardless of how well the aritcle was written, the only reason it was written is because Floyd is the brightest and most influential star of his sport. He is also, arguably, the most polarizing figure in all of sports and guarantees a massive reading audience when something as flammable as this is posted. We're not getting twenty responses here if the article is about Yuriorkis Gamboa's domestic violence history and what we should do to fix it. Hell, the article, as Jab astutely points out, basically glosses over Corrales' horrific history of domestic violence even calling him a "deeply troubled but usually benevolent soul" just to prove a point that Floyd said one thing then did another. You can't have it both ways. Just because you liked Corrales' personality and fighting style does not excuse his reprehensible behavior away from the ring. This is not a problem exclusive to Mayweather or fight sports in general, but a problem that is rampant in every major sport in the world. Anyone here would find it very difficult to be successful in their profession if they had Diego Corrales' ,Floyd Mayweather's, Lawrence Phillips', Brandon Marshall's, Jason Kidd's, Kirby Puckett's, Wilfredo Cordero's, etc. history of domestic abuse. I feel the same standards should be held for professional athletes.

I agree with you guys that separating the on-field athlete from their personal life is a necessity in the modern sports world but at some point the governing bodies of all sports must admit and address the issue and show that this behavior will not be tolerated. Once we get a standard for discipline at the highest level then, hopefully, people of influence at levels where athletes are still impressionable are able to follow suit and teach that this behavior is not tolerable under any circumstance.

Last edited:
I heard that HBO didn't televise the Rigo fight.

Rigondeaux won by 1st round KO. They touched gloves after a headbutt and Rigondeaux laid dude out.

Yeah, I think Rafael said you had to watch it on Uni mas. Poor Rigo :rofl: .... Dude should sign with Haymon and be headlining a showtime card the next day.

I DVRed the HBO card...about to pass out...Saw the 1st Rd TKO

Zou was in the books....cant wait for a big fight with him....but I was in and out

now I need Rigo to wake me up lol......i hate my chances...but who knows

:rofl: My guess is that you had an easier time staying awake with him not being on the air then with having to watch him fight.

That Ramirez kid needs a real fight on regular HBO pronto. That guy has absolute dynamite in his hands.

Never said either one of those things. He went to jail and did time. But the way some people are talking in here, sounds like they want him lynched or some shit. Felt I had to say something in his defense. A lot of athletes have issues. Dante Stallworth was drunk and hit someone in his car and killed him. I got more of a problem with these athletes out drinking and driving at a high rate of speed. Thinking they're invincible, putting innocent lives at risk. Rather than Floyd slapping some hoe who probably said some dumb ass shit

I can't argue the drunk driving part, because I hate people who drink and drive, but your last statement is crazy to me. Who cares if anyone said "some dumb ass shit" to him, he doesn't have the right to beat a woman (it wasn't slapping, he beat the fuck out of a few of them).....and it wasn't just "some hoe," as he has done it repeatedly and to a bunch of different women.

We don't have to call for him to be lynched or anything as there are many other boxers and athletes who are just as despicable as Floyd is, but let's not act like it was some isolated incident that happened because some girl popped off to Floyd and said something about his family or something that made him react and "slap" her.

I think this forum does a great job of staying above the typical foaming-at-the-mouth love / hate arguments that normally happen around Floyd and Manny. We're doing a great job with a tough subject here as well. I think we all agree and realize Floyd's accomplishments inside the ring are unquestionably the best of his generation. His intelligence inside the ring is the best I have ever seen and it is why he continues to embarrass top fighters into his late thirties. He's a generational talent who's only peer is probably Roy Jones Jr. Just want to get that out of the way before Paid in Full comes in to call me a hater again.

My previous post was poorly worded and didn't do a good job of pointing out what I thought was a very intriguing part of the article: At what point does an athletic commission discipline a fighter for violent offences away from the ring? Or do we continue to see the norm from the NSAC, NYSAC, and NJSAC of burying their head in the sand as long as they continue to get their sanctioning fees? Is it even an athletic commissions responsibility? Boxing is unique to any other sport in this aspect as they have no unified governing body coupled with multiple spheres of influence (Promotional, athletic commissions, sanctioning organizations, and television) that have power over almost every decision. This creates an uphill battle to even make fights, let alone address serious issues like discipline for domestic violence. It is next to impossible to see any near term change unless we see the big four sports in this country seriously address the issue, which looks to be happening in the NFL with Ray Rice likely receiving a serious suspension for the coming season.

Lets be honest though, regardless of how well the aritcle was written, the only reason it was written is because Floyd is the brightest and most influential star of his sport. He is also, arguably, the most polarizing figure in all of sports and guarantees a massive reading audience when something as flammable as this is posted. We're not getting twenty responses here if the article is about Yuriorkis Gamboa's domestic violence history and what we should do to fix it. Hell, the article, as Jab astutely points out, basically glosses over Corrales' horrific history of domestic violence even calling him a "deeply troubled but usually benevolent soul" just to prove a point that Floyd said one thing then did another. You can't have it both ways. Just because you liked Corrales' personality and fighting style does not excuse his reprehensible behavior away from the ring. This is not a problem exclusive to Mayweather or fight sports in general, but a problem that is rampant in every major sport in the world. Anyone here would find it very difficult to be successful in their profession if they had Diego Corrales' ,Floyd Mayweather's, Lawrence Phillips', Brandon Marshall's, Jason Kidd's, Kirby Puckett's, Wilfredo Cordero's, etc. history of domestic abuse. I feel the same standards should be held for professional athletes.

I agree with you guys that separating the on-field athlete from their personal life is a necessity in the modern sports world but at some point the governing bodies of all sports must admit and address the issue and show that this behavior will not be tolerated. Once we get a standard for discipline at the highest level then, hopefully, people of influence at levels where athletes are still impressionable are able to follow suit and teach that this behavior is not tolerable under any circumstance.

I don't think there's anything to add here. Fantastic post, SoB.

didnt-read.gif

mr ellerbe, welcome to ctg

Back