Maurice Jones Drew Retires

Fondybadger

CTG Partner
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ears-jacksonville-jaguars-one-oakland-raiders

Maurice Jones-Drew, one of the most productive pro running backs during his prime despite his small stature, has retired from the NFL.
Jones-Drew, who turns 30 this month, announced his retirement Thursday on Twitter, writing "All good things come to an end!!!" with a longer message contained in the tweet.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>All good things come to an end!!! <a href="http://t.co/zl6EJQ5SAE">pic.twitter.com/zl6EJQ5SAE</a></p>&mdash; Maurice Jones-Drew (@Jones_Drew32) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jones_Drew32/status/573599912291475456">March 5, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jones-Drew is known for his eight seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He signed a three-year, $7.5 million deal with Oakland last year. He began the season as the Raiders' starter but broke his hand in Game 1, could not regain his starting job and was buried on the depth chart as the season progressed. Jones-Drew, a Bay Area native, had just 96 yards rushing in what was his final NFL season.

He had talked to new Oakland coach Jack Del Rio -- who coached Jones-Drew in Jacksonville in his prime -- about playing in 2015. However, there was little chance the Raiders would have retained Jones-Drew had he decided to continue to play.

"I have nothing but the utmost respect for Maurice Jones-Drew and wish him the absolute best," Del Rio said in a statement released by the Raiders. "He is one of the top individuals, both on and off of the field, that I have had the privilege of coaching. He's one of my all-time favorites and I truly love the guy."

The 5-foot-7, 210-pound Jones-Drew completed his career with 8,167 rushing yards. It is the sixth-most rushing yards in the NFL over the past nine seasons.
With Jones-Drew retiring and the team officially releasing defensive end LaMarr Woodley on Thursday, Oakland is set to have more than $64 million in salary-cap room when free agency starts Tuesday.

The Raiders will be in the market for a running back in free agency and the draft. Darren McFadden is a free agent and is not expected to be back. Oakland is looking for competition for the promising but green Latavius Murray.

Was going to start a thread titles Running back Union but will use this announcement to make my post.

the NFL is a young man's game and running back is even more youthful due to the demands of the position. How can the NFL tell a kid that is 20 years old like Ezekiel Elliot that he must stay in school another year when he is clearly ready for the pro game and is going to lose a very valuable year in what is a limited professional choice anyway. On top of that he is forced into the rookie pay scale where he may not get justly compensated for the most productive part of his career.

The modern day NFL has shown a bias to the running back position, at what point do running backs form their own union and demand either guaranteed contracts (every NFL player should want this) or for RB's to have shorter rookie deals so they can maximize their earning potential ?

Jones was one of my favorites coming out of UCLA, and it took him 3 years to become a starter, and after 4 full seasons in 5 years as a starter his career was essentially over. I'm glad that he got to cash in on his second contract and make some real bank and seems smart enough to walk away from the game with relatively good health.

relevant, I did a quick study of 20 random running backs:

Jones Drew
Chris Johnson
Tomlinson
Shaun Alexander
Curtis Martin
Jamal Lewis
Edge
Terrell Davis
Stephen Jackson
Gore
Ronnie Brown
Fred Taylor
Portis
Ahman Green
Emmitt Smith
Barry Sanders
Corey Dillon
Rickey Waters
Eddie George
Marshawn Lynch

Of not, 3 of the 30 retired after their age 30 season and 2 more retired after aged 31 season

Here is the average age 26 season based on the statistic "Approximate Value" by profootballreference

Age 26- 13.9
Age 27- 11.3 (decrease of 18.4%)
Age 28- 9.3 (decrease of 18.1%)
Age 29- 8.1 (decreased of 12.9%)
Age 30- 7.9 (decrease of 2.3%)
Age 31- 6.7(decrease of 14.9%)

Using yards per carry-

Age 26- 4.5
Age 27- 4.2
Age 28- 4.2
Age 29- 4.0
Age 30- 3.9