Matt Holliday Traded...

Fondybadger

CTG Partner
...to the A's?!?

According to SI.com Jon Heyman the Rockies will acquire Huston Street, Sean Gallagher, Travis Buck and unnamed prospects.

Doesn't seem like Beane Ball to take on a huge contract like Holliday's. He'll be on the down side of his prime by the time they get that roster set to compete again for the pennant.

One things for sure...going to Oakland is gonna put those home/road splits to the test...

Scott Boras cant be thrilled with this when his next megastars numbers take a huge dive playing in that (insert whatever is the opposite of 'bandbox')

Beane hasn't been afraid to take on a larger contract, for a short period of time, in the past. He has a few possible replacements at closer (Joey Devine comes to mind), and the pitching/1B depth to not be an issue. I think it's a very good fit for the A's to start the season and see where they are come deadline time in the standings. He can always go and get the compensatory picks as well...

Very strange unless he thinks he can flip him for better prospects mid season...

Bingo. Basically just flipping three younger guys who are going to be arbitration elig. for some minor leaguers come the All Star game. I'd be shocked if he's a member of the A's come August.

Beane hasn't been afraid to take on a larger contract, for a short period of time, in the past. He has a few possible replacements at closer (Joey Devine comes to mind), and the pitching/1B depth to not be an issue. I think it's a very good fit for the A's to start the season and see where they are come deadline time in the standings. He can always go and get the compensatory picks as well...

very true

eek... not sure if I like this nearly as much now... Yahoo is saying Matt Holliday for Huston Street, Carlos Gonzalez, and Greg Smith. I would love to have Carlos Gonzalez back on my fantasy team if he goes to Colorado. Greg Smith may be hurting the most in this one. That's 2 very solid prospects and we all know Street...

The A's are close to acquiring left fielder Matt Holliday from the Rockies, according to major-league sources.

The players the Rockies will receive have not been decided, and the deal likely will not be finalized for approximately 48 hours, sources said.

Over the weekend, the teams discussed A's outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, left-hander Greg Smith and reliever Huston Street, according to one source, but it is not known if any or all of those players will be included in the package for Holliday.
Holliday will earn $13.5 million in 2009, then become a free agent.

The A's are not acquiring him with the intention of flipping him or even trading him in July. The team is in position to increase its payroll to as much as $80 million, and plans to contend next season.

To that end, the A's also are targeting free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal to be their leadoff man. Furcal is drawing interest from about 10 clubs, according to his agent, Paul Kinzer. The acquisition of Holliday could help persuade Furcal that the A's are serious about competing.

eek... not sure if I like this nearly as much now... Yahoo is saying Matt Holliday for Huston Street, Carlos Gonzalez, and Greg Smith. I would love to have Carlos Gonzalez back on my fantasy team if he goes to Colorado. Greg Smith may be hurting the most in this one. That's 2 very solid prospects and we all know Street...

that's what i saw as well, though it does say there's more to be worked out. it also says that the As will have money, and would want to ink him long term...that they're also after Furcal...etc.

A's are starting the rebuild. Looks for them to fuck shit up in that division after another year or two..

Carlos Gonzalez is a rookie that the A's shouldnt be trading. Kid hits doubles all day long. One of these days in the near future, half of those doubles will be homers.. Hope they didnt trade him..

That is one hell of a trade for the Rockies if it involves those players

They had BB on the local radio talking bout the trade. My brother sent an email. He knows more bout the A's than I, which is crazy cause I've been a fan since 77, and him in 1999! Here is the email he sent me...:cheers:

But past that...the interview with BB was pretty informative about where the team stands and the plan he has/had for it. I know what you think about Beanne, but maybe just me listening to his assistant each week this year---Fourths or whatever his name is---explain their plan and reasoning for it---and so far their plan has been fitting piece by piece just as they planed for, yet it's still a work in progress.

They last year realized that they needed to re-load the roster with young talent which is cheap and has the potential to pay off in a few years. They did just that last year. Then all through the last part of last season, they were saying that with the future pitching situation set, they are looking for a big bat from the right side. Many callers to the post game show were mentioning Holliday as a perfect candidate, and also that there wasn't much in the free agent market after Texieriea and his high price tag.

Fast forward to today, and we get Holliday for 3 players somewhat on the cheap...Carlos would have been nice to see but the A's have way too many outfielders to begin with. Street...no explanation necessary, and Smith was one of like 7 potential future starters...expendable in so many words.

Now at least Cust has another big bat to support his 30 HR's yet 2 buck average, and add that if Sweeney improves in his second year...the young starters also improve as hoped for---bullpen is already set with Ziegler in the 8th and what's his name who throws 96 MPH in the 9th...and this trade looks like their is something to look for in the year ahead.

If this trade works out...Beane implied that since the payroll was so contained this last year (as planned) that they have enough money to throw around potentially for someone like Holliday if it makes sense (also planned but of course Holliday has Borus as an agent, so we're talking like 20 mil plus per year---but Beeane didn't count that as a deal breaker.)

And if the A's don't look to compete in 09 by July they can flip Holliday for a few players by the trade deadline for at least 2 players who compare to the ones they gave up. Not a bad trade off in other words.

My gut says that there are no more blockbuster trades for the A's in the months ahead, and that they'll instead look to see how these young guys pan out with a little senority from Holliday to help them along, but I'm still not counting out the second coming of Giambi. Now that would be interesting...Cust/Holliday/Giambi in the middle of the lineup. How long til April?

Back