Matt Corral is awesome

Br@ssknux

Pretty much a regular
As we all know, the whole opt out craze has exploded this year, moving forward from just players who are guaranteed pros/1st rounders all the way down to any kid who has a prayer at maybe getting invited to a camp. I've lost all appetite to argue about this...the games still go on, many of them are awesome to watch despite the opt outs (Purdue/Tennessee for example), and nobody is going to change anyone's mind about it so it's pointless to argue about. (I think it's become more of a status/social contagion thing more than an actual risk analysis but who cares what I think). But having said all that, I'd like to throw some bouquets at Matt Corral. Here's his quote on his decision to play in the Sugar Bowl.

“I definitely wouldn’t have been in this position if it wasn’t for (my teammates),” Corral said. “I’m not just going to leave. Yeah, I know what’s on the other side. I know what’s ahead. God’s got me. I’m not worried about the negative part. If that does happen, then, shoot, it wasn’t meant to be. That’s just how I live my life, and that’s how I go about it. I’m going to give these guys everything I’ve got ‘til it’s over.”

I've often thought that these players who opt out aren't considering the effect their teammates had on the position they are in, as Corral mentions. It seems like the teammates have been giving to the prospect all through their career, and then in many cases, a game like this is their chance to give back to them. All they have to do is take a miniscule risk. I'm not criticizing Kenny Pickett, but did anyone see the reaction of the Pitt players when they lost that game last night. One of the DBs was openly sobbing after the game. There is no doubt that Pickett not playing last night was the difference between Pitt winning and losing. You can say that the game was meaningless, and from your perspective, you're right, but from the Pitt players' perspective it meant everything. Pickett probably gave lip service to how much he cares about his teammates and "Pitt nation" in whatever graphic he put out on Twitter, but Corral obviously cares a lot more about that than Pickett does. That's not a criticism, just an observation of a difference between the two. Corral is willing to take the 99% chance that his draft status will be unaffected (or more likely, enhanced with a great performance against a great defense like Baylor) because his relationship with his teammates is that important to him.

For that, I think he should be commended, and I just wanted to mention that.

Word. For the opt outs they can even offer to backup or split time to limit risk too. Coach im staring at millions. Put me out there half the time

Terrific post, and I might add I was also impressed with Sam Howell playing and some of the comments he made relative to loyalty towards his teammates. Of course Mack and the moron Bateman couldn't channel that into a decent performance for their team but that's another story....

I know there will be exceptions, but guys with the attitude of Corral and Howell generally end up achieving more in team sports. Does anyone think that Tom Brady would ever sit a game out if he's physically capable of playing? I understand why certain players opt out, but I think they are wrong

As we all know, the whole opt out craze has exploded this year, moving forward from just players who are guaranteed pros/1st rounders all the way down to any kid who has a prayer at maybe getting invited to a camp. I've lost all appetite to argue about this...the games still go on, many of them are awesome to watch despite the opt outs (Purdue/Tennessee for example), and nobody is going to change anyone's mind about it so it's pointless to argue about. (I think it's become more of a status/social contagion thing more than an actual risk analysis but who cares what I think). But having said all that, I'd like to throw some bouquets at Matt Corral. Here's his quote on his decision to play in the Sugar Bowl.

“I definitely wouldn’t have been in this position if it wasn’t for (my teammates),” Corral said. “I’m not just going to leave. Yeah, I know what’s on the other side. I know what’s ahead. God’s got me. I’m not worried about the negative part. If that does happen, then, shoot, it wasn’t meant to be. That’s just how I live my life, and that’s how I go about it. I’m going to give these guys everything I’ve got ‘til it’s over.”

I've often thought that these players who opt out aren't considering the effect their teammates had on the position they are in, as Corral mentions. It seems like the teammates have been giving to the prospect all through their career, and then in many cases, a game like this is their chance to give back to them. All they have to do is take a miniscule risk. I'm not criticizing Kenny Pickett, but did anyone see the reaction of the Pitt players when they lost that game last night. One of the DBs was openly sobbing after the game. There is no doubt that Pickett not playing last night was the difference between Pitt winning and losing. You can say that the game was meaningless, and from your perspective, you're right, but from the Pitt players' perspective it meant everything. Pickett probably gave lip service to how much he cares about his teammates and "Pitt nation" in whatever graphic he put out on Twitter, but Corral obviously cares a lot more about that than Pickett does. That's not a criticism, just an observation of a difference between the two. Corral is willing to take the 99% chance that his draft status will be unaffected (or more likely, enhanced with a great performance against a great defense like Baylor) because his relationship with his teammates is that important to him.

For that, I think he should be commended, and I just wanted to mention that.
Totally agree. Sickens me seeing all these opt outs by not only top 10 picks but guys who might not even be drafted lol

Yeah I feel like these bowls seem even less important being played AFTER the real semis. Cool that he wanted to play in a exhibition game, but dumb if he actually got hurt. Like his decision to play though.

Back