Matt Cassel traded to Chiefs

phatprep3

Pretty much a regular
By National Football Post
Posted February 28, 2009 Email to a Friend Print This <script type="text/javascript">SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: "Breaking: Cassel Traded To Kansas City", url: "http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/breaking-cassel-traded-to-kansas-city/" });</script>ShareThis

Breaking: Cassel Traded To Kansas City

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network is reporting that New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel has been traded to the Kansas City Chiefs.

By National Football Post
Posted February 28, 2009 Email to a Friend Print This<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title: "Breaking: Cassel Traded To Kansas City", url: "http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/breaking-cassel-traded-to-kansas-city/" });</SCRIPT> ShareThis

Breaking: Cassel Traded To Kansas City

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network is reporting that New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel has been traded to the Kansas City Chiefs.

Interesting...Cassel is definitely a product of the NE system...can KC replicate that?

I am guessing a couple 2nd rounders maybe. Atleat 1. Maybe 2nd rounder and 4th rounder. He played great the second half of the season last year but again was it part of the system?

Cassel and Vrabel to the Chiefs for the 34th overall pick in the draft

Good deal for both sides, especially KC. Wouldn't be surpised to see Ray Lewis on his way to the Pats

the pats could make a run at julius peppers if they wanted to. i think this gives them 3 second round picks. not to mention the cap space this opens up.

"Patriots fans won't be happy, but speculation is that New England preferred the second-round pick over the third overall because of the contract value."

I bet Pioli really didn't want to get rid of that second round pick either. Both guys love to stock pile second round picks.

There is a reason that Cassel couldn't start over Matt Leinart at USC

I think he is definitely a product of the NE system and will be average to mediocre at best

This lets KC draft OL or Aaron Curry if they want with that third pick.

And the Matt Sanchez free-fall begins.

The Buccaneers tried trading for Cassell, and in exchange were going to send Cassell to DENVER -

Cutler is now pissed at Denver - lets see what develops there.

And yes, heard that the Pats didn't even consider the 3rd Overall pick - nobody proven at #3 and too much $$$$

Seems like this is a draft where the top 50 picks are loaded, all about equal talent. Patriots could make out very well here. Possibly package two 2nds to move up for Malcolm Jenkins?

Lions take an OL #1 and sanchez slips to them at 20??

I know only this, if the Browns take him (or Stafford however it would happen) with their first pick without trading BOTH Quinn and Anderson, I will quite likely break many of the things I own.

The Buccaneers tried trading for Cassell, and in exchange were going to send Cassell to DENVER

No way, really?

Lions take an OL #1 and sanchez slips to them at 20??

I know only this, if the Browns take him (or Stafford however it would happen) with their first pick without trading BOTH Quinn and Anderson, I will quite likely break many of the things I own.

Heh, they would never. There are a ton of teams that would take Quinn right now for a late 1st, future 1st.

And yes on the Cassell to Denver (McDaniels).

It would make sense from the McDaniels angle, but Cutler was in the Pro-Bowl this year (right or wrong). What would his thinking have been, as a backup? To honestly compete for the starting job?

i know that tampa made a late run at cassel but never read anywhere that they were trying to move him to denver. i dont see how it would make any sense.

REPORTS: BRONCOS ENTERTAINED TRADING CUTLER

Posted by Mike Florio: Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:22 PM

Adam Schefter of NFL Network and Vic Lombardi of CBS4 in Denver report that the Broncos have been shopping quarterback Jay Cutler.

Per both reports, the Bucs and Broncos were trying to swing a three-way deal pursuant to which Matt Cassel would have been traded from the Pats to the Broncos, Cutler would have gone from Denver to Tampa, and the Patriots would have been compensated presumably by the Buccaneers.

According to Schefter, the Lions also approached the Broncos about a trade for Cutler.

And here's where it gets interesting. Schefter's version creates the impression that the Broncos didn't initiate the talks, and merely responded to the offers presented. Vic Lombardi's version suggests that the Broncos were and are shopping the eleventh overall pick in the 2006 draft.

"I've heard the rumors," Cutler told Vic Lombardi. "I know what they're trying to do. Even though I love Denver and I'd love to remain a Bronco, I know how this business works. If they want me to play somewhere else, so be it."

Despite Cutler's generally P.C. comments, Schefter contends that Cutler was angered by the news.

There's a consensus in league circles that Cutler has plateaued after showing some improvement early in the 2008 season. He has been criticized in some circles for having a nonchalant demeanor.

The reality is that, whenever there's a new coach, there's a chance that he'll want to pick his own quarterback. Regardless of whether the Broncos initiated the trade talks, the fact that the Broncos said anything other than "hell no" suggests that new coach Josh McDaniels wants to go in a different direction.

My fault earlier for the way I worded my post - Tampa would've been getting Cutler in return for Cassel

Which would have been a BIG trade, but not one sided in any way really...

There is a reason that Cassel couldn't start over Matt Leinart at USC

I think he is definitely a product of the NE system and will be average to mediocre at best

They are putting the NE system in KC ...I like Cassel and he should do well...At least give them some stability at QB

NE did what Cleveland should of done with D.Anderson last year...

Just read that Cutler has requested a trade but was denied..His vaginia has been brusied

They are putting the NE system in KC ...I like Cassel and he should do well...At least give them some stability at QB

NE did what Cleveland should of done with D.Anderson last year...

Just read that Cutler has requested a trade but was denied..His vaginia has been brusied

By the NE system I meant Bill Belichick, Randy Moss, Wes Welker and the rest of that Offense.

And Haley is the KC Head Coach he didn't show that he could make a young QB like Leinart work with weapons like Fitz, Boldin and Breaston.

And I would love if the Broncos were trying to shop Cutler and he requested a trade because of it.

There is a guy that can not handle his emotions, he gets rattled when a reciever drops a ball I can't imagine him being able to give his best effort if the team was trying to trade him.

Back