Marlins/Cardinals & White Sox/Angels Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Bet This MLB Parlay at (+300) on Wednesday

Miami Marlins vs. St. Louis Cardinals
Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 7:45 p.m. ET at Busch Stadium in St. Louis

Bad Spot for St. Louis

The Cardinals are in a terrible spot tonight because they need to win in order to sweep the Marlins.

They are 2-4 in games that they need to win in order to achieve a sweep.

Repeatedly this season, they have proven to be awful in this situation, more so than their record in this situation suggests.

For example, one of Cincinnati's few early-season wins came when it was trying to avoid being swept by the Cardinals.

Likewise, St. Louis lost to lowly Pittsburgh in this spot.

Psychologically speaking, it is easy for a team to become complacent after securing a series win.

Plus, the other team might grow desperate because being swept is embarrassing.

Thus, in the spot that St. Louis finds itself in tonight, the Cardinals might feel that they have less to lose.

Who Starts for Miami?

The Marlins start regularly dominant Sandy Alcantara tonight.

Alcantara finds himself in a bounce-back spot today after a rare bad start.

Last week was a difficult situation for him because he was facing the same lineup in a second consecutive start.

One should maintain confidence in him because he has allowed two earned runs or fewer in 13 of his 15 starts this season.

Alcantara vs. Cardinal Batters

Alcantara has demonstrated his dominance also against Cardinal batters.

None of them have ever hit a homer off him and no currently healthy Cardinal batter has managed an extra-base hit with him on the mound.

The batters who St. Louis relies on most have proven unreliable against Alcantara.

Paul Goldschmidt, for example, is 2-for-12 (.167) in his career with Alcantara on the mound.

When facing Alcantara, Goldschmidt has twice as many strikeouts as hits.

Who Starts for St. Louis?

The Cardinals start Andre Pallante today.

Pallante merits pessimism because he is suffering poor form.

He has yielded an FIP (like ERA but factors out fielding) over 5.00 in three straight starts.

Chicago White Sox vs. Los Angeles Angels
Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 9:38 p.m. ET at Angel Stadium in Anaheim

Who Starts for Chicago?

The White Sox start Michael Kopech, its second-least profitable pitcher.

Chicago has lost the last three games in which he started.

On the season, Chicago is costing its backers -5.1 units in Kopech's starts.

Kopech vs. Angel Batters

I like Angel batters tonight because they match up well with Kopech given the pitches that he throws.

Primarily, Kopech throws a fastball, slider, and curveball.

These three pitches combine to make up 99.5 percent of his arsenal.

L.A. ranks eighth in slugging against these three pitches combined from righties.

Who Starts for the Angels?

Shohei Ohtani starts for the Angels tonight.

In contrast to Kopech, L.A. has won the last three games in which Ohtani started.

Ohtani's strong performances help explain this trend.

During this three-game span, he allowed a combined total of one earned run in 21 innings.

He collected the win in all three games.

His recent success creates a small reflection of the season he's enjoyed.

Overall this season, Ohtani has allowed two earned runs or fewer in 9 of his 12 starts and one earned run or fewer in seven of them.

His ability to avoid giving up many runs creates a large margin of error for the lineup.

Stated differently, L.A. repeatedly doesn't have to score much in order to win when Ohtani starts.

This fact helps explain why, pertinently to my favorite play for this game, every L.A. win in an Ohtani start has come by multiple runs.

Ohtani vs. White Sox Batters

Ohtani promises to continue his strong form because he couldn't match up better against a team than he does against White Sox batters.

Primarily, Ohtani throws a fastball and slider.

These two pitches combine to make up about 70 percent of his arsenal.

Chicago, however, ranks dead-last in slugging against these two pitches from righties.

Best Bet: Parlay Marlins ML -122 & Angels RL at +120 at +300 odds with BetOnline

I was originally also going to write up Dodgers/Rockies "over" but I had enough words after writing up these two games.

i dunno what their record is going back the last decade or whatever but fading cards when they going for the sweep has been something i have done quite a bt for a long time, their "win the series" mantra is nothing new, think it might date back all way to TLR, If they been super hot i wont do it and i dont do it blindly but it def factors into my capping of them when they in this spot.

pisses me off fish are pitching Alcantera on 4 days rest again, he been perfectly fine on 4 but he been untouchable on 5!! with the amount of innings he pitches and typically running his pitch count up over 100 i would think fish would try to go out their way to get him a extra day sometimes!!! if he was on 5 days rest this be a huge bet for me...

Back