Marcus Luttrell (Lone Survivor) to be Celebrity Picker on College Gameday

who is he (forgive my ignorance... and forgive me for not caring, as i never ever have ESPN in my eyes before 12:02 pm kickoffs because of the post-time betting)...

who is he (forgive my ignorance... and forgive me for not caring, as i never ever have ESPN in my eyes before 12:02 pm kickoffs because of the post-time betting)...

He is the basis for the movie Lone Survivor. Spoke to the team (Alabama) tonight. I imagine it was pretty intense

there was a guy on FoxNews the last two nights, the guy who killed Osama Bin Laden, or so he said (it seems his story matches up for what happened)... i was thinking he was from Montana and his name not the same as this guy.

If someone wants to post a link and not editorialize it, I would appreciate it. Then again, anything more than about 4 mins is too long for me to look at during this time of year, so forget it. Not like I GAF who the guy likes tomorrow...

:shake:

there was a guy on FoxNews the last two nights, the guy who killed Osama Bin Laden, or so he said (it seems his story matches up for what happened)... i was thinking he was from Montana and his name not the same as this guy.

If someone wants to post a link and not editorialize it, I would appreciate it. Then again, anything more than about 4 mins is too long for me to look at during this time of year, so forget it. Not like I GAF who the guy likes tomorrow...

They are different guys. They are, however, both Navy SEALs. The movie, Lone Survivor, starred Mark Wahlberg.

Here's a link to info about Marcus Luttrell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Luttrell

In the 2013 film Lone Survivor, Luttrell was portrayed by actor Mark Wahlberg.[SUP][20][/SUP]
Luttrell also makes a cameo appearance in the film (uncredited), making a significant appearance in at least three scenes in the film and is present in other scenes as well. He first appears as one of the SEALs, referred to as "Frankie" by Lt. Murphy (Taylor Kitsch), lightheartedly hazing rookie SEAL Shane Patton (Alexander Ludwig) before the mission, jokingly giving Shane his first mission or "op" of cleaning the table, supplemented by knocking over a drink. His second appearance is during the presentation of the rules of engagement for Operation Red Wings where he can be seen shaking his head at the rules governing return fire. This scene is significant. In his book, Lone Survivor, Marcus explains extensively how these rules created substantial risk for the forces in Afghanistan. His third appearance is later in the film as one of the 16 special operators aboard the doomed Chinook helicopter sent to rescue Marcus (Mark Wahlberg) and his team. The camera stops on him and several real-life SEALs just before the Taliban's rocket-propelled grenade comes through the open rear bay door and impacts the Chinook's interior, killing everyone aboard. "I was on the other side of the mountain when those guys came to help me," Luttrell says of his real-life experience, "so getting to die on the helicopter in the movie was a very powerful moment for me."[SUP][21][/SUP]

Not about Texas, about over coming, the odds, situation, never quiting, digging deeper.

Never thought about him being a motivational speaker, but he would be the best. He has Been there and done it.

I imagine it has something to do with Veterans Day this week. And like I mentioned, he spoke to Alabama's team yesterday. Saban brings in speakers all the time, so maybe this just worked out since he was already in town

I met Marcus in 2007 as our company party guest speaker. He was involved with the worst day in USA history regarding Navy SEAL lost. Somehow he survived an attack in Afganistan where he eventually was saved by a local. What lead up to the attack is probably more mind boggling than the story itself. They turned loose a few goat herders that had accidentally walked upon these 4 Navy SEALS who were posted up in the mountains. The movie was ok. Ironically Marcus plays a role in the movie but is a different character than himself. I recommend reading the book.

Not about Texas, about over coming, the odds, situation, never quiting, digging deeper.

Never thought about him being a motivational speaker, but he would be the best. He has Been there and done it.

Actually that is all about Texas, but we don't want to start that.
I was being tongue-in-cheek about the Alabama comment.

I imagine it has something to do with Veterans Day this week. And like I mentioned, he spoke to Alabama's team yesterday. Saban brings in speakers all the time, so maybe this just worked out since he was already in town
Yes, it's because of Veterans day.

Marcus is one bad ass MF. He looked much more stable mentally but still don't think a human being recovers completely from what he went through.
His picks and commentary clearly weren't important to him and I thought the ESPN crew did a fantastic job keeping it smooth.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cn_IJaws4Uc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back