Maple Leafs add free preseason game

Santacapper

Pretty much a regular
Leafs, Coca-Cola Zero Give Away Free Tickets To Preseason Game
Leafs add fifth preseason game to thank fans for their support
Toronto Maple Leafs
Jul 16, 2008, 10:33 AM EDT

The Toronto Maple Leafs have added an extra game to their 2008 preseason schedule, and they're opening the doors free to all fans with a unique ticket giveaway opportunity in partnership with Coca-Cola Canada.

The Leafs and Coca-Cola Zero™ announced Wednesday that the September 22 preseason game against the Buffalo Sabres at Air Canada Centre will be called the Coca-Cola Zero™ Fans First Game. The Leafs added the free game to their schedule as a way of recognizing the outstanding support of their fans.
coke_fansfirstgame_logo.jpg

"The Leafs have the most loyal and passionate fans in the NHL," said Leafs General Manager Cliff Fletcher. "Securing the additional preseason Leafs game and giving away tickets to the Coca-Cola Zero™ Fans First Game is our way of thanking them for their on-going support."
He added that this event was an opportunity for hockey fans who have never seen a live Leafs game to experience one at Air Canada Centre.

Fletcher made the announcement in Air Canada Centre's Galleria in front of hundreds of Leafs fans. He was joined by Tom Anselmi, executive vice-president and chief operating officer for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, Greg Cyr, director of integrated marketing, Coca-Cola Canada, and Mike Clark, Ontario vice-president, Coca-Cola Bottling.

All Leafs fans in attendance were given a pair of complimentary tickets to the game against the Buffalo Sabres. The remaining tickets will be distributed free to fans through a series of unique promotions and contests.

leafssabres_fanfirst_img.jpg
Current Leafs players Curtis Joseph, Matt Stajan, Carlo Colaiacovo, John Mitchell, and Jeremy Williams, and Leafs legend Wendel Clark attended the announcement, met fans, signed autographs and distributed tickets for the Coca-Cola Zero™ Fans First Game.

"We’re excited to provide this unique opportunity for our fans to get the first look at the 2008-09 Toronto Maple Leafs team," said Anselmi. "The Coca-Cola Zero™ Fans First Game will be a memorable event. It will have the feel of an opening night with pregame festivities including a tailgate party for attendees to enjoy."

"Many thanks go to our corporate partner Coca-Cola Canada who has teamed with us to make this event a reality for our fans.”

“Coca-Cola Zero is about making the impossible, possible. Our product exemplifies that, said Greg Cyr, director of integrated marketing for Coca-Cola Canada. We've made a product that has the taste of Coca-Cola with zero calories. And now we’re making the impossible, possible for passionate Leafs fans that have never experienced the thrill of a live Leafs game.”

The event offers Leafs fans the first opportunity to see the new-look Leafs under the guidance of Head Coach Ron Wilson. The 2008-09 Leafs will see the return of familiar faces including Matt Stajan, Nik Antropov, Vesa Toskala and Alex Steen, who will be joined by newcomers Niklas Hagman, Jeff Finger, Mikhail Grabovski, Jamal Mayers and first-round draft pick Luke Schenn. Former Leafs player Curtis Joseph returns to the club in goal.

Rogers Sportsnet has secured the broadcast rights for the Coca-Cola Zero™ Fans First Game.

Its nice to see the price of admission for once be equal to the product on the ice ;) Actually its a nice touch by coca cola.

I second Catfood's comment.

I want the Leafs to be good, but while this is a nice gesture, man, it does underscore the problems they're going to have filling seats this year if everything goes the way we all figure.

lmao... too true.

Joe, there will be no trouble selling seats.... never has been, even through the mid 90's

Oh, they'll sell 'em, but if they're really as bad as advertised, late in the season I wouldn't be shocked to see it thin out.

Just go turn your team around, Santa, it sucks not to have the Leafs in the playoffs.

very true about late in the season... Im torn, no seats = they go to buying mode of aging veterans... its the way of the teachers.

but seats = hey, they'll come no matter.

I want to tank if for the season and win Tavares... kids the real deal.

What is the M.O for the leafs this year SC? It doesn't appear like they're rebuilding. I see them trading draft picks and the roster ages seems high for a team thats supposed to be rebuilding. Do you think Sundin will stay for a final kick at the can?

What is the M.O for the leafs this year SC? It doesn't appear like they're rebuilding. I see them trading draft picks and the roster ages seems high for a team thats supposed to be rebuilding. Do you think Sundin will stay for a final kick at the can?

think they are just filing spots right now and getting rid of dead weight... they traded to move up in the draft and get a guy they really wanted...

Slowly building the Marlies system up, I can see Sundin sticking around as its what he's said all along or retiring.

Thing is though, they cant tank it... with a guy like Toskala who will steal 10-15 games on his own they'll be bad, but not 'that' bad overall.

I second Catfood's comment.

I want the Leafs to be good, but while this is a nice gesture, man, it does underscore the problems they're going to have filling seats this year if everything goes the way we all figure.

You know I like it too when the leafs do good. And you know last year I thought they played attractive hockey, they played more my style of hockey than the habs did. I'm still VERY BITTER about how the habs played in the playoffs, I dont mind losing but to play like girls was hard to stomach. But with the parity the way it is now, the slightest slip-up means you're out....My guess is the leafs will be competitive this year and if Sundin returns, they should make the playoffs. The whole division is going to be the toughest one I think this year.

Montreal will be the 'darling' of the division... Boston will surprise with some value early on.

I honestly highly doubt the Leafs making the playoffs... would be fun, but I doubt it... no depth / speed / d... hardly a winning combination lol

Yeah with the centennial and all that, its going to be an annoying atmosphere for the habs I think, theyre going to be asked the same questions over and over and over. I like Boston to be near the top as well.

Back