MAC Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
NCAA Football Week 11 MAC Parlay Plays: Bets To Win Big

Miami (Ohio) RedHawks vs. Buffalo Bulls
Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 8 p.m. ET (ESPN) at US Stadium in Buffalo, New York

Buffalo’s Offense

You may be inclined to overrate Buffalo’s offense.

While the Bulls did score 49 points in their opener against Northern Illinois, we have to consider that they scored three defensive touchdowns.

Even one defensive touchdown is a ridiculous thing to expect from any team in a given game because it is so improbable. So that 49-point effort was and will prove to be anomalous.

It is more telling that the Bulls produced 357 yards of offense.

Buffalo Offense vs. Miami Defense

One limitation of Buffalo’s offense is that it lacks an efficient quarterback who can reliably move the ball downfield.

175 passing yards was a typically low output from quarterback Kyle Vantrease.

Vantrease relies to an extraordinary degree on one wide receiver — Antonio Nunn. In their last game, Nunn accounted for more than half of Vantrease’s yardage total.

But now Nunn will face a more difficult test than he did against Northern Illinois.

Unlike Northern Illinois, the RedHawks boast a decorated cornerback.

After initially declaring for the NFL Draft, former Iowa Hawkeye Emmanuel Rugamba opted back into this season.

Rugamba was an All-MAC third-teamer last year.

He will help limit Nunn, which entails limiting Buffalo’s entire pass attack.

Buffalo, anyhow, wants to be run-first. Last year, it owned one of the nation’s highest run play percentages.

Miami does not possess one of those run defenses that can easily be gashed.

It possesses two key players in the front seven who will keep the Bulls’ ground game in check.

On the defensive line, Kameron Butler is an All-MAC first-teamer. At linebacker, Ryan McWood returns after leading the team in tackles last year.

When a team is favored as heavily as the Bulls are, you want to see quick scores .

Instead, we’ll see a one-dimensional offense overly relying on its ground game in order to grind out scores.

Miami Offense vs. Buffalo Defense

Miami, like Buffalo, has suffered question marks at the starting quarterback position.

But these question-marks are injury-induced and actually reflect the depth of quality that this team possesses.

Brett Gabbert has earned the starting job after being named MAC Freshman of the Year last season.

AJ Mayer proved that he is a capable backup. After Gabbert suffered a head injury in the team’s season opener, Mayer completed 16 of 24 passes for 212 yards, three touchdowns, and zero interceptions.

Mayer flexed this level of quality against a Ball State pass defense that returned nearly all of its top guys from last season where the Bulls owned the nation’s 34th best opposing passer rating.

Unlike the Ball State pass defense, Buffalo misses its top cornerback and top safety from last year.

Gabbert or Mayer also gives the RedHawk offense balance by complementing a ground game that benefits from its returning talent at offensive line.

This unit includes two All-MAC first-teamers and so is regarded as one of the conference’s top offensive lines.

Total

When Miami defeated Buffalo 34-20 last season, the Bulls accrued over 300 rushing yards.

This performance was anomalous because it was the product of propitious circumstances.

Entering that game, the RedHawks were decimated on both sides of the ball by injuries.

Their problem was having faced a much more physical and elite Ohio State team the week before. The Buckeyes throttled Miami with a 76-5 final score.

Even though the Bulls still only mustered 20 points in that game, it is true that a high-level ground game can encourage higher-scoring outputs.

But the circumstances for the RedHawk defense are more promising.

Plus, with a healthier offensive line, the RedHawks will have an easier time accruing time of possession.

Last week, Miami dominated time of possession. With its balanced offense, Miami can replicate this feat and keep Buffalo’s offense on the sidelines.

Miami’s ability to control the clock and to limit Buffalo’s one-dimensional offense will ensure low production from the Bulls’ offeense.

Best Bet: Parlay RedHawks +11 at -105 & Under 56.5 at -110 at +273 odds with Bovada

I checked into MiaO WR Jack Sorensen who appeared to be injured late vs BSU and Montgomery never mentioned him when discussing "bumps and bruises" the next day so I assume he is fine.

Mia was running their 4th string RB at the end although I can't remember the circumstances and that may not matter.

Not sure if Gabbert will be cleared, Mayer has the hot hand so I expect them to get good QB play again.

I'd like Miami as well. Think they are a decently veteran team with some confidence and capability. WR Sorensen not being hurt is big because he is a key piece. Buffalo has a really strong team their graduation losses aren't hurting them as much with the quality depth they've developed. Still seems like a ton of points vs a quality opponent.

i like both these bets as well - i remember last year i was on the under and that game went over even though both teams couldn't move it at all. Miami scored 34 points with 260 yards of offense. defense scored some flukey touchdowns. I look at that game and i'll take my chances on the under again

Back