LSU vs Rice CWS

Trueblue

Pretty much a regular
I'm looking at the pitchers and neither of them seem great. LSU pitcher has been working out of the pen most of the year and they both get hit at a clip of .300+. Owls are favored here perhaps beacuase of their experience, but we've seen what constantly solid offenses can do against them (fresno st.). LSU has the more reliable offense here in my eyes and definitely deserves a shot at +money. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Quoted from one of my favorite local personalities (usually spot on with LSU sports):

LSU head baseball coach Paul Mainieri will turn to senior RHP Jared Bradford this afternoon to keep the Tigers alive in the CWS. Mainieri is a big believer in Bradford who is usually at his best when the Tigers' backs are against the wall. Bradford is 10-4 on the season with a high 4.50 ERA. Bradford has pitched 86 innings and has allowed 104 hits and 20 bases on balls. He has issued 75 strike-outs, has allowed eight home runs and has hit eight batters. Opposing teams are hitting .300 against the senior RHP. Bradford is at his best when he has pinpoint control of his breaking pitches and is very good at getting batters to hit into double plays when he keeps the ball low and is able to get them to swing at pitches outside the strike zone. I believe that Paul Mainieri will be very happy to get five strong innings from Bradford. Rice will start senior RHP Chris Kelley (5-1, 3.28 ERA, 68.2 IP, 19 BB and 59 strikeouts). Kelley, like Bradford, has given up more hits than innings pitched during the season. Kelley has given up 87 hits in 69 innings and opposing teams are hitting .312 against the senior RHP. Kelley is not an overpowering pitcher but has been outstanding the last six weeks for the Owls.

I believe LSU will have more success against Kelley than they had against Alex White of North Carolina who might be the best pitcher LSU has faced this season. I look for LSU to be much more aggressive today and I believe the game will be a high scoring contest. Former LSU player J. P. Padron leads Rice with a .356 batting average.

I'm currently searching for a link to a site that will be streaming the game. I need something to do at work on a Tuesday afternoon!

nice, thanks for the input BC, i think I will have to take LSU here... the line looks like it's asking for owl money at that price..

slugfest being said.... is over 12 worth a shot? Seems kind of low to me with these two pitcher's whip

is over 12 worth a shot?

I think so.

You are seeing Rice favored because of experience and Kelley's L6. Michael Hollander is the only player on LSU's team that was in Omaha in 2004 when LSU last went to the CWS (he went to my high school... same high school as Rusty Staub and Will Clark for you older baseball fans). Although Kelley has shown improvement in his L6 compared to the rest of his season, LSU will likely be the toughest offense he has faced in his L6 (and possibly the entire season). LSU has bad pitching, so I assume Rice will put up runs as well.

My prediction: 8-6 LSU wins

Icongeauxtigers.png

lsu and a little bit parlayed with the over for me then... asking for 12 runs is a lot, but then again, I guess not when you know you're only getting 4-5 ip from your sp.

Yeah, LSU will be happy with 5IP from Bradford. A guy from Rivals just picked Rice to win because of Rice's bullpen. This must mean he thinks LSU will be behind meaning Kelley pitches impressive. We shall see...

He also picks UNC to beat Fresno, and if the bombers of Fresno play LSU in the next round, then the game will last five hours and the runs will be plentiful.

Wind blowing out to left; this favors the big hitters from LSU like Dean & Clark.

2-0 Rice after 3

LSU playing sloppy. Gibbs caught between home & 3rd. Mitchell picked off at 1st. Not looking good for my Tigers.

lsu just couldnt get it going today... eh... I'll probably have unc parlayed with something else for 4pms..

true, thats exactly what i was thinking of doing.... parlaying with the yanks or chisox....

i know nothing about either team though, is UNC worth throwing in a ML parlay though? i have not been following the CWS for shit.....

Back