LSU v. Auburn

askias

Pretty much a regular
Would love for P&G or someone else who follows LSU to tell me why I shouldn't pound LSU -10. LSU is at home, at night and presumably angry after the KY loss. Don't they pound the crap out of an Auburn team that struggled to a 9-7 victory over Arkansas? Is this all FLA hangover because they went to FLA and won? Does Auburn play up and down to the level of competition? Would love some insight here.

i am no expert on LSU but i would have to see an injury report first because there were several players that were banged up (CB, Steltz (FS), J. Hester RB), that is just off the top of my head.

I agree with you about the angle of them being angry, but realistically i expect LSU to play for teh national title game because they only dropped to the #4 spot in teh BCS rankings. Also, with the caliber of teams that are in front of them, at least one will be losing. As much as i am a Ohio State fan, i have this weird feeling that they'll lose before the end of the season. South Florida will almost definitley lose as will BC. Oklahoma and LSU in teh national title game i think would be the most legitimate championship game and i think it'll play out that way. Sorry bit of a ramble but my main point was LSU needs to win by a large margin because it is the BCS and they do take that into account.

GL on your decison.

Auburn comes into this game playing some very good football...their defense is more physical than LSU's (they've given up 17, 7 and 3 points respectively their last three games)...they have more consistent QB play (now that Cox is fully healthy and out of the funk he was in, while Flynn still seems to be in his)...their RB's are equally talented and are as deep at that position as LSU...also, since Auburn moved the three true freshman into the offensive line on a regular basis, they've had a lot better line play...I'd even take their young kicker over Colt David, as well as Tuberville over Miles...this all being said, I do realize LSU is a tough team at home at night...I just can't look past the way this Auburn team is playing right now...I'm on them here...

I'd hold off on LSU. Auburn looks solid, and is playing better every week. The win in Ark would not have been easy for any team in the country. Ark averages 300+ on the ground and Aub gave up <100 in a tight game. Blackman is back at MLB and looked good. Groves was in pads but didn't play, so I'd assume he's going to be back this week (confirm this at least). This should be a tight game, even after the upset in Lexington last week. Gun to my head this early in the week... i take the points.

UK proved that you can run straight ahead at LSU, and Auburn will exploit this.

Didn't realize this but an amazing stat..per Brian's knowledge:

Tuberville has also established himself as one of the best big game coaches in college football, winning 9 of their last 10 games against Top 10 opponents (since the start of the 2004 season). In 2006, his Tigers recorded victories over two Top 5 teams who later played in BCS bowls, including eventual BCS Champion Florida. Tuberville has a 4-0 career record versus Top 5 teams, including 3 wins versus Florida.

This is a tough game for sure. Got LSU off a loss and revenge for last yr. Then you have a better coached team who is improving every week coming to town.

Tubberville has now stuffed the UF offense and held McFadden to under 50yds and 7pts. He has his defense rolling along

ETG,
I see your point, but the fact is that we cannot catch balls, Miles has seen if differently- Check out quote-
On wide receiver Brandon LaFell …
“He is still a young man. He’s still a young player. I think he’s doing a good job. He’s working hard at it. We need him to. The receiving core, by and large, is getting better.”
We have dropped over 36 passes in last 3 games. The line is beging us to take LSU, howevr, I see it un folding 1 of two ways-
-If we play our best athletes- CJones @ Safety, K Williams/C Scott in the back field and Perriloux gets more than 5 snaps, we could cover the 10.5 easy.
-If we keep Hester and Flynn and Steltz on D then we have another squeaker that could go either way.
Knowing what I do about Miles loving Seniors that will not happen, so the latter is the case. It never seases to amaze me why the best players we have are not on the field together- Oh well I guess we only have 5 games left with this idiot at the helm-

Yes Tigator, those drops are getting out of hand now really. Do these guys have vision problems a la Bowe? Cause it is not only Lafell though he dropped a ton, Mitchell has his fair share as well. Maybe gettign Tolliver involved more, he seems to make something happen everytime he touches the ball. Doucet was the saftey net for the QB's and he would make the important 3rd down catches but since his injury the other WR's have not stepped up

I will be keeping an eye on this line for sure. If it falls under DD, I feel like I have to take the value play.

I watched both Auburn games the last two weeks and they have basically shut down two running games (FLOR and ARK) so I do not see LSU running all over them. Plus, Auburn is used to the road games lately and as mentioned above Tubberville has coached great games against top teams.

If anything, take AU around +10/+11. Otherwise, I wouldn't touch it. LSU could should up and kill them considering all the factors or they could continue this current slide and suck. If I had to make a play as a capper, I'd take AU. As a fan and follower, I think LSU wins going away.

Factors from my perspective here in BR:
-weather should be nice, cool with very little chance of rain (%10 right now).
-big revenge game. the team AND especially the crowd will be fired up. It's at night. Tiger fans HATE the War Beagles.
-bye week next week, gotta beat AU to maintain control of the SECW this week and the loss last week should equal a ton of focus for the Tigers.
-WR Doucet should see decent playing time. Off Guard Will Arnold is still out, hasn't played much anyway. Hester has a deep thigh bruise, should play. No other injuries known.
-pure hunch as a fan here, but I think our braintrust coaching staff might be getting a handle on what to call on both sides.

Will post more if I find out any more.

A less biased observer would have seen this coming. LSU continually declined from the Tulane game into the Kentucky game.
The coaching staff is not exactly on the same page with its self and the injury bug and inconsistency on both sides leaves alot to be desired.
Talent can only cover up so much for so long.
I wouldnt bet either side here as the players alone could come out and beat Auburn by 20. What Miles shows up on Saturday night?

LSU still wins at Kentucky if they attempt to score in the 3rd and 4td Qtrs before it is too late. Miles loves to chew clock and prove he has a running game and until we know he has woke up for the year its too risky.

I predict you see ALOT of the following: Perilloux, Keiland Williams, Charles Scott, and Richard Murphy. The coach is stubborn as hell but when he loses he starts listening to suggestions. Expecting Auburn to come into a sleepy Tigers den and handle up will likely be a mistake though.

I just want to say Kentucky did several things I never saw coming.
Most importantly, they were MORE physical than LSU. I havent seen a teamtreat LSU like that in a 4th Qtr in a long time. It was painful to watch but tells me that this UK team is far better than you will ever give them credit. Brooks clearly had his team ready and called a great game.
I expect them to stumble again but after that I am going to ride them for the rest of the year.

Yes, LSU's consistent procedural penalties are a concern. False starts and lining up wrong should not ever be seen in week 7.

Flynn has regressed this season. My opinion, the ankle sprain is bothering him (can't step into the throw) but he's also trying to hard and pressing. That means forcing throws and then alternatively waiting too long to throw, staring down receivers, not checking down, etc.

I agree with you about seeing different contributors with more touches,Scott and RP at the forefront of that.

I am going to go out on a limb and say the Tigers cover this one !

just haven't decided which Tiger yet

Brandon Cox's stats vs Arkansas...
<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td align="left">
</td><td>C/ATT</td><td>YDS</td><td>AVG</td><td>TD</td><td>INT</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left" nowrap="nowrap">B. Cox</td><td>13/23</td><td>101</td><td>4.4</td><td>0</td><td>0</td></tr></tbody></table>

3rd down conversion rate vs Arkansas...
1/13!!!!!!!!! this will not beat anyone but Ark against a good run D

Time of possession vs Arkansas...
AU - 35, ARK - 25

It seems like auburns success on offense (running game) excelled because of their defensive soundness. The rush yardage racked up high #s because the Arkansas D got worn out from being on the field so long. Auburn ran it 53 times 93.6 per carry)! Auburn will not convert 3rd and longs vs LSU as they couldn't vs ARK. This will be their demise, inconsistent QB play, and lackluster WRs.

Two of LSU's most important players on defense, Kirston Pittman and Chevis Jackson, left the game and are very questionable for the Auburn game. Craig Steltz also had to leave the game for a few plays but should be ready for Auburn. On the offensive side of the ball, Jacob Hester suffered a leg injury and did not play in the last of the three overtime periods. Brett Helms, Herman Johnson and Ciron Black played the game with minor injuries and Early Doucet is still questionable. The LSU-Auburn game is a very hard one to predict because of the unknown availability of so many LSU players for the game.

Early Is Back

I know most of you know that the best receiver (BY FAR) at LSU is Early Doucet. After missing 4 games with a groin injury he played one snap against kentucky...Well..he practiced Tuesday...WATCH OUT GUYS...He can play.:nervous:

Speaking of Early
Hopefully, while he was out he worked on catching balls 3-4 yards behind him. The ole pivot move from basketball may be something Early needs to lean back on.

In a nutshell NO ONE knows what to expect out of LSU this week.
I expect a team that looks like they were shot out of a cannon.
Then again I have been waiting on that for several weeks now.

it's very apparent from last week and Miles comments this week that Ducet is no where close to being fully healthy...

Back