• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Louisville vs. Florida State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
College Football Conference Championship Games Upset Alert: Florida State Will Finally Taste Defeat

Louisville Cardinals vs. Florida State Seminoles
Saturday, December 2, 2023 at 8 p.m. ET at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina

The Question of Louisville's Defense

Any argument in favor of Florida State is going to rely on criticizing the quality of Louisville's defense.

Let's state the case for the Seminoles fairly: in Louisville's last three games, the Cardinals allowed 24 points to Virginia, 31 points to Miami, and 38 points to Kentucky.

From a superficial look at the schedule, it sure looks like the Cardinals are susceptible to allowing a lot of points.

A Bit Misleading

This picture of a declining Louisville defense is a bit misleading, though.

While the Cardinals allowed 38 points in their last game, to Kentucky, the Wildcats only mustered 289 total yards of offense.

Highlight reels will show Kentucky running back Ray Davis' one good run and the rare dimes that Kentucky quarterback Devin Leary managed as part of an otherwise inefficient output.

But the reality is that Kentucky's offense was not so good. The Wildcats benefited rather from turnovers that Louisville committed, although the Cardinals typically play much cleaner football.

Louisville's Defensive Weakness

On defense, the Cardinals have been weakest at the cornerback position where they have allowed opposing quarterbacks to achieve too much production.

The three opposing quarterbacks whom they last faced were Anthony Colandrea for Virginia, Tyler Van Dyke for Miami, and Devin Leary for Kentucky.

While it is true that these quarterbacks aren't going to be first rounders in next year's NFL Draft, the fact is that it would be erroneous to derive optimism in favor of Florida State's pass attack on the basis of the strong outputs of these three quarterbacks against the Cardinals' defense.

Colandrea, for Virginia, was also strong against Duke in his team's upset win.

Van Dyke and Leary are even more established quarterbacks who can point to other high-yardage and productive outings, although it really must be said that, against Louisville, Leary suffered a 54 percent completion rate, relying for his strong passer rating on dimes that he does not usually make.

Florida State's Quarterback

With Jordan Travis injured, Tate Rodemaker is Florida State's new starting quarterback.

Against Florida, he was 12-for-25 with 135 yards.

Clearly, his performance was pedestrian.

Florida State is favored because it's an undefeated team, which it largely is because of its previous starting quarterback.

With Rodemaker, the Seminoles' offense is radically weaker.

Against a Gators team that ranks 89th in scoring defense, the Seminoles only exceeded 20 points with the help of an avoidable targeting foul from Florida.

Seminoles Rush Attack

To exceed 20 points, the Seminoles also counted on 95 rushing yards from running back Trey Benson.

They say that a running back is a quarterback's best friend, because he limits the defense's ability to focus on stopping the quarterback's pass attack.

But Rodemaker won't be able to count on Benson again.

Whereas the Gators rank 85th nationally in run defense, Louisville ranks tenth nationally in the category.

With linebackers who are well-trained to fill gaps, the Cardinals excel at preventing opposing rush production and opposing rush efficiency.

Seminoles backers will try to make everything out of the two big runs that Louisville allowed in its past two games.

But given Rodemaker's impotence, the Seminoles would need a lot of big runs.

The fact remains that, on the season, the Cardinals rank 16th in 3.3 YPC because, while they allow the occasional nice run like every other team in the nation does, they are overall solid against the run, especially when they don't have to worry about the opposing quarterback's downfield throwing ability.

Louisville's Offense

The Cardinals won't need to score a lot to win, yet they do boast a high-powered offense that averages just over 30 points per game.

They boast two running backs who average over six YPC and a senior quarterback who, well-composed for the big stage, is regularly efficient and productive.

Florida State's Problematic Run Defense

Last week, Florida mirrored Miami in being able against Florida State to count on running the ball a lot without relying on its backup quarterback

Florida State could not stop the Gators' rush attack behind the line of scrimmage.

On the contrary, their top two running backs combined for 150 rushing yards.

Louisville has a one-two combo of its own in Jawhar Jordan and Isaac Guerendo.

Jordan, for example, will use his quickness to burst through open holes, though he'll also beat defenders to race down the sideline.

Physically, he's also a tough runner who will keep a pile moving forward.

Florida State will especially be in trouble for having to worry also about Jack Plummer and the Cardinals' well-established pass attack.

Jamari Thrash is one of the ACC's leading receivers, and yet the Cardinals have nice depth at wide receiver, too.

With all of these weapons, Louisville will score much more easily than Florida State.

Best Bet: Louisville +2.5 at -110 with BetOnline & Louisville ML at +111 with BetOnline

Didn‘t think of this but with Travis out I bet the NCAA would love to have the Seminoles firmly out of the playoff picture. An undefeated FSU would cause controversy.
LOL how did you not think of that? It's basically THEE story in college football right now, hoping FSU doesn't put it on the committee to include them.

I don’t watch sports media especially during the semester.
I don't either. I really know FSU is a problem that needs to go away.

I seriously have no clue what is being reported or whatever, I just kinda assume they are a real problem unlike anything else in the hierarchy.

I don't either. I really know FSU is a problem that needs to go away.

I seriously have no clue what is being reported or whatever, I just kinda assume they are a real problem unlike anything else in the hierarchy.
It’s great for the books then that Louisville lost at home to Kentucky and FSU managed to win at Florida by an official score of nine.

I think van Dyke could end up being a 1st round pick, believe he transferring, he goes someplace w a good offense he could easily play himself into a 1st round pick in the ‘25 draft, ever since I 1st watched him I believed he has 1st round arm talent. Not really point of this thread I know, just saying he has lot of potential.

Personally I think ville been fugazi all year. They started they season and shoulda been beat by king and Gtech it wasn’t for the fact Gtech was awful in 4th qrtrs all season and handed ville that game. That said king falls in line with the other pretty talented qb’s who gave ville problems.

I still believe the only reason ville beat notre dame was the brutal schedule Irish had played leading up to that game and the Irish were clearly out of energy. After battling for a half despite being far from their best nd simply wore down after the half and got gashed by ville run game, something I don’t think woulda ever happened if not for Irish AD putting them in ridiculous spots all season w no breaks!! Honestly think Irish beat them by 20 if all things were equal cause I really don’t believe ville is a legit top 25 team.

I still have no clue how they smashed virgina texh? I dunno if Hokies got drunk before the game or what?? I feel pretty confident if they played that game again it would at least be close, fairly confident Hokies would win, that game baffles me still: then of course the following week Hokies look fantastic while ville goes back to looking like the medeocre team I believe them to be!! Barely beat indiana, barely beat a at the time really bad version of ncst, barely beat a bad Uva team, lose to a awful pitt team who scored bout as many points vs ville they did rest the year!! Lose to a mediocre uk team., Imo ville is not good, Plummer is crap, the defense is fast that bout it., had Travis not gotten hurt I’d have happily laid -14 w Noles vs this overrated ville team.,

What really blows is I find myself hoping you right and rooting for ville big time cause I think it be a total waste of a playoff spot to let noles in without Travis. Unfortunately I think fsu could beat ville with just bout anyone playing qb! Hope I’m wrong. What I really hope is even if fsu wins the committee would show some guts and still knock fsu out the top 4, I know it wouidnt be fair to them but I don’t want fair, I want the best 4 teams and noles without Travis would get crushed by anyone in the top 10 (I’m not calling ville a top 10 team, sorry!). So I really hope ville can win this game so we don’t get a garbage playoff game with w fsu being 17 point dogs without their qb. Problem is I think ville is stir fried overrated shit who incredibly lucky to be here!!!

Really hope you cash tho cause I really don’t want fsu in the playoff as it be a waste of a spot and as I said I don’t think committee has the guts to leave them out unless they lose. How does everyone feel bout that? Am I wrong in thinking they should get left out win or lose? Or am I right it be better to put a team like texas in it than noles without their qb? I understand it wouldn’t be fair to noles accomplishments but hey, life isn’t fair!! It wouldn’t be fair for us to have to watch noles as 17 point dogs without a qb either!!

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ
I think van Dyke could end up being a 1st round pick, believe he transferring, he goes someplace w a good offense he could easily play himself into a 1st round pick in the ‘25 draft, ever since I 1st watched him I believed he has 1st round arm talent. Not really point of this thread I know, just saying he has lot of potential.

Personally I think ville been fugazi all year. They started they season and shoulda been beat by king and Gtech it wasn’t for the fact Gtech was awful in 4th qrtrs all season and handed ville that game. That said king falls in line with the other pretty talented qb’s who gave ville problems.

I still believe the only reason ville beat notre dame was the brutal schedule Irish had played leading up to that game and the Irish were clearly out of energy. After battling for a half despite being far from their best nd simply wore down after the half and got gashed by ville run game, something I don’t think woulda ever happened if not for Irish AD putting them in ridiculous spots all season w no breaks!! Honestly think Irish beat them by 20 if all things were equal cause I really don’t believe ville is a legit top 25 team.

I still have no clue how they smashed virgina texh? I dunno if Hokies got drunk before the game or what?? I feel pretty confident if they played that game again it would at least be close, fairly confident Hokies would win, that game baffles me still: then of course the following week Hokies look fantastic while ville goes back to looking like the medeocre team I believe them to be!! Barely beat indiana, barely beat a at the time really bad version of ncst, barely beat a bad Uva team, lose to a awful pitt team who scored bout as many points vs ville they did rest the year!! Lose to a mediocre uk team., Imo ville is not good, Plummer is crap, the defense is fast that bout it., had Travis not gotten hurt I’d have happily laid -14 w Noles vs this overrated ville team.,

What really blows is I find myself hoping you right and rooting for ville big time cause I think it be a total waste of a playoff spot to let noles in without Travis. Unfortunately I think fsu could beat ville with just bout anyone playing qb! Hope I’m wrong. What I really hope is even if fsu wins the committee would show some guts and still knock fsu out the top 4, I know it wouidnt be fair to them but I don’t want fair, I want the best 4 teams and noles without Travis would get crushed by anyone in the top 10 (I’m not calling ville a top 10 team, sorry!). So I really hope ville can win this game so we don’t get a garbage playoff game with w fsu being 17 point dogs without their qb. Problem is I think ville is stir fried overrated shit who incredibly lucky to be here!!!

Really hope you cash tho cause I really don’t want fsu in the playoff as it be a waste of a spot and as I said I don’t think committee has the guts to leave them out unless they lose. How does everyone feel bout that? Am I wrong in thinking they should get left out win or lose? Or am I right it be better to put a team like texas in it than noles without their qb? I understand it wouldn’t be fair to noles accomplishments but hey, life isn’t fair!! It wouldn’t be fair for us to have to watch noles as 17 point dogs without a qb either!!
FSU winning would be the ultimate in why I miss the BCS

Should be Georgia/Michigan and the rest play some incredible games but we need tournaments in America. So stupid.

FSU winning would be the ultimate in why I miss the BCS

Should be Georgia/Michigan and the rest play some incredible games but we need tournaments in America. So stupid.

Lol. Gotta agree w you on this one. I never had any problem w the old way/. Only thing I’d prob do different compared to back then after the bowls I would take the best ranked team vs the Uga/Michigan winner. Lot of years in the old days we did have another game that needed to be played!!

Im Not a huge fan of the 12 team playoff, it would make all these last 2 weeks close to pointless which sucks, I hate how we can’t stop ourselves from diluting the regular seasons, they made baseball 162 game schedule mean next to nothing! Now they killing ncaa fb reg season. The only bright side I see is teams potentially willing to schedule better early season matchups! We shouldn’t get any more those garbage little sister the poor games like Michigan played the entire non conf! It won’t be the end the world to lose a big out of conf matchup at beginning the year, just gotta hope that translates.

The last 2-3 weeks the season won’t be worth a damn anymore., Ohio st/Michigan will go from one the biggest games every year to practically meaningless!! How is that good?? Bama vs Uga and ducks vs udub this upcoming week go from being defacto must watch playoff games to not meaning shit as all 4 teams be in anyways! How is that good?? I dunno. But like you said everything has become about playoffs in every American sport, if that ruins the regular season nobody seems to care!! Lol

Lol. Gotta agree w you on this one. I never had any problem w the old way/. Only thing I’d prob do different compared to back then after the bowls I would take the best ranked team vs the Uga/Michigan winner. Lot of years in the old days we did have another game that needed to be played!!

Im Not a huge fan of the 12 team playoff, it would make all these last 2 weeks close to pointless which sucks, I hate how we can’t stop ourselves from diluting the regular seasons, they made baseball 162 game schedule mean next to nothing! Now they killing ncaa fb reg season. The only bright side I see is teams potentially willing to schedule better early season matchups! We shouldn’t get any more those garbage little sister the poor games like Michigan played the entire non conf! It won’t be the end the world to lose a big out of conf matchup at beginning the year, just gotta hope that translates.

The last 2-3 weeks the season won’t be worth a damn anymore., Ohio st/Michigan will go from one the biggest games every year to practically meaningless!! How is that good?? Bama vs Uga and ducks vs udub this upcoming week go from being defacto must watch playoff games to not meaning shit as all 4 teams be in anyways! How is that good?? I dunno. But like you said everything has become about playoffs in every American sport, if that ruins the regular season nobody seems to care!! Lol
Don't get me started on how the excitement of regular season will become moot

Most of these games we cherish will turn in to college basketball season

12 team playoff is puke worthy

To the point leagues like the nba now have some sloppy thrown together in season tourney nobody has any idea wtf that is!! Lol. It’s like these clowns are so obsessed with making every dollar they can they never once stop and think how it might actually hurt the long term life of the product! It’s crazy cause they all printing money, why in gods name they willing to do anything just for another dollar is nuts!!! The nfl moving more and more games to Europe, always looking to make the product worse if it makes them more money. Colleges swooping in and thinking “hey, let’s copy the old nfl model, that worked pretty well”! Soon college fb will look a whole lot like 90s nfl structure!!! Nba paints their courts different colors I assume to tell ppl those the games players might actually play and give effort!!!! Baseball let’s more teams in every year and looking to add teams As if they have a overflow of talent with teams comprised of minor league players!!! It’s depressing to even talk about!!

To the point leagues like the nba now have some sloppy thrown together in season tourney nobody has any idea wtf that is!! Lol. It’s like these clowns are so obsessed with making every dollar they can they never once stop and think how it might actually hurt the long term life of the product! It’s crazy cause they all printing money, why in gods name they willing to do anything just for another dollar is nuts!!! The nfl moving more and more games to Europe, always looking to make the product worse if it makes them more money. Colleges swooping in and thinking “hey, let’s copy the old nfl model, that worked pretty well”! Soon college fb will look a whole lot like 90s nfl structure!!! Nba paints their courts different colors I assume to tell ppl those the games players might actually play and give effort!!!! Baseball let’s more teams in every year and looking to add teams As if they have a overflow of talent with teams comprised of minor league players!!! It’s depressing to even talk about!!
NBA tournament is pretty much a gong show

NBA tournament is pretty much a gong show

It seems beyond redic. The craziest part is I never heard any mention of or anything leading into the season, games started and randomly they say “this a tourney game”, quickly I learned the best way to know was every one the tourney games were basically unwatchable with those redic painted color schemes on the court. Shit is awful, I can’t watch the games on those courts!! I told friend of mine just wait. In the future each half court be rainbow colored and shooting from every color be worth a different amount of points!!! Don’t laugh, would it really shock anyone if they happened? Maybe even have certain colors light up at times to add a additional bonus!! Lol. Far as the tourney itself I still have no clue what it about, what going on, what they win or what the point?? One night I thought bout googling and decided why should the emphases be on me to figure this crap out?!!?? The onus to Educate us on what the damn tourney is should have been on them and they did a terrible job letting us know. Durning the games the tv ppl don’t give very helpful explanations and quite honestly I don’t care!! It’s a total fail and all the more reason I’ve decided to go back to ignoring nba regular season and shift back to ncaa.,

I think NIL has given ncaa hoops new life! Just like qbs who not quite nfl level staying and playing 10 years of college giving a lot more teams competent qb play, it appears back to the basket bigs who are basically extinct and worthless in the new nba, they can now make a very nice living being college mercenaries where back to basket 7 footers are still a huge commodity!! All a sudden we gonna have lot more talented ncaa teams instead of a bunch of 1 and done players!!

It seems beyond redic. The craziest part is I never heard any mention of or anything leading into the season, games started and randomly they say “this a tourney game”, quickly I learned the best way to know was every one the tourney games were basically unwatchable with those redic painted color schemes on the court. Shit is awful, I can’t watch the games on those courts!! I told friend of mine just wait. In the future each half court be rainbow colored and shooting from every color be worth a different amount of points!!! Don’t laugh, would it really shock anyone if they happened? Maybe even have certain colors light up at times to add a additional bonus!! Lol. Far as the tourney itself I still have no clue what it about, what going on, what they win or what the point?? One night I thought bout googling and decided why should the emphases be on me to figure this crap out?!!?? The onus to Educate us on what the damn tourney is should have been on them and they did a terrible job letting us know. Durning the games the tv ppl don’t give very helpful explanations and quite honestly I don’t care!! It’s a total fail and all the more reason I’ve decided to go back to ignoring nba regular season and shift back to ncaa.,

I think NIL has given ncaa hoops new life! Just like qbs who not quite nfl level staying and playing 10 years of college giving a lot more teams competent qb play, it appears back to the basket bigs who are basically extinct and worthless in the new nba, they can now make a very nice living being college mercenaries where back to basket 7 footers are still a huge commodity!! All a sudden we gonna have lot more talented ncaa teams instead of a bunch of 1 and done players!!
Quality players know that NIL is a drip in the pan

Making a million or two isn't close to an NFL contract

Also with NBA, first round you are guaranteed a 2 year deal that wipes away NIL

Second round is worth the look

Quality players know that NIL is a drip in the pan

Making a million or two isn't close to an NFL contract

Well yea for the kids who actually nba level talent! Most of college hoops isn’t that tho! Then the biggest thing, lot those back to basket 7 footers who used to be locks for nba have been basically told no room for them in nba any more, so unless they have a handle and can shoot 3s they have become extinct!! But in college these kids are huge commodities still!! So kids who were gonna end up overseas can now make 3-5 mil to play center in college!! I see a whole bunch of more traditional centers who playing their 4-5-6 years of college ball, several with different teams and making a huge impact: these guys never getting that money in the new nba but if they can drop 20 and grab 15 boards for Kentucky they can have a nice little career!! These kids were leaving college fast they could 20 years ago!!! Now you got the kid who finished at Michigan and now playing for Kansas. The uk kid seems like he been in college 7 years!! College game has basically gave rebirth to the traditional post players!!!! I think it pretty cool,

nk Irish beat them by 20 if all things were equal cause I really don’t believe ville is a legit top 25 team.

What really blows is I find myself hoping you right and rooting for ville big time cause I think it be a total waste of a playoff spot to let noles in without Travis. Unfortunately I think fsu could beat ville with just bout anyone playing qb! Hope I’m wrong. What I really hope is even if fsu wins the committee would show some guts and still knock fsu out the top 4, I know it wouidnt be fair to them but I don’t want fair, I want the best 4 teams and noles without Travis would get crushed by anyone in the top 10 (I’m not calling ville a top 10 team, sorry!). So I really hope ville can win this game so we don’t get a garbage play
i think we all said this before they played duke and they smashed them. Brohm is a big game coach - i agreed with louisville being fraudulent midway but they have proven themselves imo - i think they are going to take this game. No idea how they lost that kentucky game

i think we all said this before they played duke and they smashed them. Brohm is a big game coach - i agreed with louisville being fraudulent midway but they have proven themselves imo - i think they are going to take this game. No idea how they lost that kentucky game

I feel like I can point to at least 4-5 games that pretty much back up my feelings on what ville is or isn’t. Not just the uk loss last week, getting whipped by a awful pit team, barely beating a crappy Hoosiers team, 13-10 over a ncst team that had yet to make the qb changed that salvaged their season, let’s not forget Gtech totally dominating them for a half before handing the game away in the 4th.

On the flip side where exactly are the impressive “big game” wins for ville? They whipped vtech, that actually surprised me cause I thought Hokies were gonna beat them but still hardly a monster W!! They did beat the Irish but I’ll go to my grave saying there no way ND loses that game if not for the awful scheduling by their AD who put Nd in a flat out terrible spot which was quite clear as the Irish were simply out of gas after halftime, I have no problem saying ND wins that game by 2 tds if all things were equal. They beat duke after Riley Leonard went down. Quite frankly there isn’t one impressive win on ville entire resume and to be perfectly honest im way more shocked they didn’t lose a lot more games than beat uk!!!

All that said I do think Fromm has done a great coaching job and I really hope they can win this game cause sad as it is I have no desire to see fsu in the playoff without Travis/. If Travis was healthy I’d have no problem saying noles win this by double digits quite easy, without Travis I expect it to be a dogfight, one I really hope ville pulls out since I don’t think the committee has the guts to leave fsu out the playoff if they win. So im left rooting for a ville team I can’t stand and don’t think is close to one the 20 best teams in the country!!! Lol

I feel like I can point to at least 4-5 games that pretty much back up my feelings on what ville is or isn’t. Not just the uk loss last week, getting whipped by a awful pit team, barely beating a crappy Hoosiers team, 13-10 over a ncst team that had yet to make the qb changed that salvaged their season, let’s not forget Gtech totally dominating them for a half before handing the game away in the 4th.

On the flip side where exactly are the impressive “big game” wins for ville? They whipped vtech, that actually surprised me cause I thought Hokies were gonna beat them but still hardly a monster W!! They did beat the Irish but I’ll go to my grave saying there no way ND loses that game if not for the awful scheduling by their AD who put Nd in a flat out terrible spot which was quite clear as the Irish were simply out of gas after halftime, I have no problem saying ND wins that game by 2 tds if all things were equal. They beat duke after Riley Leonard went down. Quite frankly there isn’t one impressive win on ville entire resume and to be perfectly honest im way more shocked they didn’t lose a lot more games than beat uk!!!

All that said I do think Fromm has done a great coaching job and I really hope they can win this game cause sad as it is I have no desire to see fsu in the playoff without Travis/. If Travis was healthy I’d have no problem saying noles win this by double digits quite easy, without Travis I expect it to be a dogfight, one I really hope ville pulls out since I don’t think the committee has the guts to leave fsu out the playoff if they win. So im left rooting for a ville team I can’t stand and don’t think is close to one the 20 best teams in the country!!! Lol
Leonard played and had 23 pass attempts. They massacred Duke where it matters...234 rush yards to 51. No fluke. Dukes worst loss of year. Massively impressive performance. Dominated ND 185 rushing yards to 44...nd was in a bad spot week prior and won....if spots matter gotta give louisville a pass for a 430 to 280 yard edge and minus 3 to edge at Pitt in a bad spot

VA tech win 238 to 61 rush....you csnt luckbox line of scrimmage....VA tech been on a heater too

This has been one of most consistent and most dominant teams in acc where teams like a florida state or a Clemson or a Miami are not consistent......teams im guessing ppl view much better then louisville. Lville didn't get the chance to play 2 of them and best Miami!

The start of the year games with new staff etc should be thrown out the window.......brohm has adjusted and settled in nicely.......way more improved then the georgia tech or indiana games and prior opinions based on that should be be adjusted imo

Leonard played and had 23 pass attempts. They massacred Duke where it matters...234 rush yards to 51. No fluke. Dukes worst loss of year. Massively impressive performance. Dominated ND 185 rushing yards to 44...nd was in a bad spot week prior and won....if spots matter gotta give louisville a pass for a 430 to 280 yard edge and minus 3 to edge at Pitt in a bad spot

VA tech win 238 to 61 rush....you csnt luckbox line of scrimmage....VA tech been on a heater too

This has been one of most consistent and most dominant teams in acc where teams like a florida state or a Clemson or a Miami are not consistent......teams im guessing ppl view much better then louisville. Lville didn't get the chance to play 2 of them and best Miami!

The start of the year games with new staff etc should be thrown out the window.......brohm has adjusted and settled in nicely.......way more improved then the georgia tech or indiana games and prior opinions based on that should be be adjusted imo

They beat one ranked team who travel spot was arguably about as bad it could get considering nd schedule thru 6 weeks, Leonard was never healthy again, they almost lost to a handful of bad teams, got beat up and lost to 2 other bad teams. Talk them up if you want but there no way they in my top 20.. that said and as hard it is for me I’m really rooting for them this week cause I do not want a playoff spot wasted on a fsu team without their qb.

People taking advantage of our obsession with tournaments is actually brilliant. The problem with the NBA tournament is no one has a clue what it takes to move on. I guess the Suns are in...will it make me watch the Lakers game next week? Probably not. Do these guys that are making $500k per game care about some tournament that pays $500k to the winners? Gonna highly doubt that one.

Agree 100000%. The regular season IS the playoff, you just have to pay attention to appreciate how it all plays out and fits together. Rare was the case under the BCS when a team was left out and didn't have themselves to blame because they lost a game. It was the most meaningful regular season in sports. It will still be the best sport, but we've sacrificed something special in order to maximize tv dollars so that the likes of Cincinnati or Notre Dame can get slowly strangled in the 2H of a semifinal while Bama pulls players to save them for the final.

Agree 100000%. The regular season IS the playoff, you just have to pay attention to appreciate how it all plays out and fits together. Rare was the case under the BCS when a team was left out and didn't have themselves to blame because they lost a game. It was the most meaningful regular season in sports. It will still be the best sport, but we've sacrificed something special in order to maximize tv dollars so that the likes of Cincinnati or Notre Dame can get slowly strangled in the 2H of a semifinal while Bama pulls players to save them for the final.
Man I'm 48 and have echoed this whole thing since I was 22. Best season ever was when Nebraska and Michigan split the Natty.

People taking advantage of our obsession with tournaments is actually brilliant. The problem with the NBA tournament is no one has a clue what it takes to move on. I guess the Suns are in...will it make me watch the Lakers game next week? Probably not. Do these guys that are making $500k per game care about some tournament that pays $500k to the winners? Gonna highly doubt that one.

I was curious what the prize was, I asked friend of mine if they won a dish washer or what?!? To most these guys 500k is about the equivalent to a dish washer or some other appliance! I really dunno what they could make the prize that would actually incentivize these dudes? No taxes maybe? Lol. Or more time off, as if they don’t already take plenty of that!

I was curious what the prize was, I asked friend of mine if they won a dish washer or what?!? To most these guys 500k is about the equivalent to a dish washer or some other appliance! I really dunno what they could make the prize that would actually incentivize these dudes? No taxes maybe? Lol. Or more time off, as if they don’t already take plenty of that!
$500k to each player. Obviously some that will make their year

But to superstars making $40 million a year that's just a game check

At least all games other than the final count for regular season so there is definitely an incentive to show up

At least all games other than the final count for regular season so there is definitely an incentive to show up

I was curious how it fit within the construct of reg season and whether or not it has prevented “load management” on those nights? Of course it just seems to me down the line when someone buying tickets to take their fam to a game they just have to make sure it during one the “tourney games” to know the stars be playing and hopefully actually giving effort that night!! Lol. Then the problem becomes why would anyone bother w the other games as they become even more useless!!

Oh and whether it makes for more urgency/better games or not I’ll go ahead and tell them now, the court designs are fucking terrible and make the games practically unwatchable for me!!!!

Man, you said a lot, and I think I agree with all of it.

Also, the FSU QB situation is deja vu. 25 years ago we had the same thing (or worse) with FSU playing a 3rd-string QB in the national title game.

Safest bet in this game is the under.

Man I'm 48 and have echoed this whole thing since I was 22. Best season ever was when Nebraska and Michigan split the Natty.

That Nebby team had no business being awarded a ship after that bs prayer win and UM was better! But still great season.

Reactions: KJ
Back