Louisville/Memphis discussion

hile75

CTG's ambassador of sexy
Last I checked line was L'Ville -6 and total was 55. This may be wrong at this point.

Let's work on coming to an agreement about tonights game.

L'ville is on the road, which bodes well for their opponent, but I wonder if Memphis has the ability to hang. Ramble has me thinking of arbing the game, take Memphis ML pregame then hope for a Tigers score early and bet Lville ML live betting.

My early lean is under. Memphis should run the ball a ton, and I don't see memphis scoring more than 14 points tonight

i will preface this by admitting i have been an the wrong side of louisville three times this year...something always seems to go wrong...the cantwell injury cost me the cover in the ucon game i am certain ... and so on and so on...

i see no way memphis should be in this game for more than a quarter. i watched most of the game against, what i consider, a bad uab team and the execution on both sides of the ball was not good. the tackling was extremley poor in particular. the athletes are far superior for louisville and they have vastly improved their performance since early on (discounting the response to cantwells injury). unless the ville is a no show, i am very comfortable laying this number. this team lost to marshall and rice.

The first thing to address as far as I am concerned is the Memphis defense which has been nothing short of atrocious. They are giving up 6.3 yards per play which is the same amount that Washington state and Syracuse are giving up per play this year. What I find interesting here is the level of their competition has been poor. As you may recall last week I made a point of showing why Illinois defensive stats were bad looking but not as bad as you might think because all of the offenses they played against were high powered and they outperformed those teams averages. The same applies here in my opinion.

Memphis played the following teams and gave up the following vs. them defensively …

UAB had 455 total yards and average 386 per game ……………….avg 6.1 yards per play
Arkansas state had 352 yards of offense and average 463 a game ….avg 5.8 per play
Marshall had 403 yards of offense and averages 327 per game ….avg 5.1 yards per play
Rice had 430 yards of offense and averages 429 per game ……….avg 5.8 per play
Ole miss had 438 yards of offense and averages 382 yards per game avg 6.2 per play

Louisville averages 435 yards per game and averages 5.8 per play. And as you can see the Memphis defense has underperformed in relation to how teams normally perform against other defenses.

What I find significant about this is that Louisville has played better defenses … Kentucky , uconn and Kansas state ( as putrid as it is ) are all likely superior to what the ville will see in this game. And Louisville consistently outperforms other offenses that face their opponents.

Kansas st gives up 5.5 per play
Kentucky 4.3 per play ( that bad performance week 1 doesn’t look nearly as bad for ville )
Uconn 5.1 yards per play.

Note the level of competition here … only ole miss is going to finish with a record above .500 in my estimation from that first list of teams and in my opinion this is by far the toughest offense they will have faced.

To break this down in simple terms , you have an offense that consistently does better vs. their opponents defense than average facing a defense that consistently allows other offenses to perform above their season averages.

To continue on the matchup of the ville vs. Memphis ont his side of the ball I want to point out what I have seen with my own eyes when watching Memphis …. These dudes cant tackle for anything. The cardinals dominated Kansas state and uconn at the line of scrimmage and i have no reason to believe that does not occur here.

Cantwell should be at full health basically according to most reports so little concern there.

On the opposite side of the ball you have a prolific Memphis offense. They average 462 yards per game but again … Arkansas state , uab , marshall and rice are bad defensively. Ron English has turned it around for the Louisville defense who has also outperformed the average .

The cardinals are giving up just 4.3 yards per play ….. The offenses they faced …….
Kansas state 6.1 yards per play
Uconn 5.4 yards per play
Kentucky 4.8 yards per play

You see what I mean ??

Now in watching Memphis I find two things interesting offensively , the first Is that Arkelon Hall does not throw a good ball. The second is that they have a very talented and tall receiver in Carlos Singleton. The kid is 6-8 ,,,,, tough matchup for a lot of those conference usa opponents …but Louisville actually practices against similar every day as they have a 6-8 wr of their own named chichester. … my point is they should be more prepared on how to combat that size than an average team … same is true of Memphis of course in defending chichester … but the difference to me is that Cantwell is delivering balls to chichester and Hall is throwing to singleton … one is a bad college qb and the other is going to be drafted into the nfl … though I cant see him panning out with his mechanics.

As I mentioned earlier , Memphis struggles to tackle and I think that’s a problem for a team facing a lot of fresh runners as the ville will throw bolen , powell and Anderson at you and they all run hard.

If there is one area of concern it would be the kicking game of Louisville compared to that of Memphis .

This will be one of , if not the only games all year where the cardinals might actually have a coaching edge.

Another angle I want to discuss is the fact that the ville let uconn steal one against them last time on national television. They completely dominated the huskies but let them hang around and eventually lost the game .. I think this gives them extra incentive to not take the foot off the gas pedal here.

This is a physical mismatch in my estimation …

point taken hile. they have made me some money this year too. the statement might actually have been more powerful by simply saying "this team lost to marshall".

point taken hile. they have made me some money this year too. the statement might actually have been more powerful by simply saying "this team lost to marshall".

Definitely have a situation though where one team is moving up in class and one team is moving down in class , to use a horse racing form term.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=768 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=466>
blank.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width=2>
blank.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width=300>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=3><SCRIPT>var gotLocIDCookie = GetCookie("LocID");//set the cookie with the newLocPres locid object.var expdate = new Date ();FixCookieDate(expdate);expdate.setTime(expdate.getTime() + (24*60*60*1000*365));var typeInfo = 4;var newLocID = '38104';if(typeInfo == 1 || typeInfo == 4){SetCookie ("LocID",newLocID, expdate, "/", ".weather.com");}else{SetCookie ("LocID",newLocID+":"+typeInfo, expdate, "/", ".weather.com");}</SCRIPT><SCRIPT>var verticalBannerImage = "getout_sporting.jpg";var bannerImage = "http://i.imwx.com/web/common/banners/fall/basic.jpg";if(bannerImage.indexOf('basic.jpg') != -1 && verticalBannerImage.length > 1){bannerImage = "http://i.imwx.com/web/common/banners/fall/getout_sporting.jpg";document.getElementById("MainHeaderImage").style.backgroundImage = "URL("+bannerImage+")";}var pstr = "sports_&_recreation_sporting_events"; //used to highlight link in the second navigation to show user where they arehbBMDefault = 'hdM6'; //the tab that needs to be highlighted - taller one - showing user where they areheaderPipeDefault = 'headerPipe7'; // this pipe should be removed.</SCRIPT><SCRIPT> var rv = -1; var ua = navigator.userAgent; var re = new RegExp("MSIE ([0-9]{1,}[\.0-9]{0,})"); if (re.exec(ua) != null) { rv = parseFloat( RegExp.$1 ); } if(rv=="6" && window.location.pathname.indexOf("/map/interactive/") != -1) { document.writeln("<st"+"yle>"); document.writeln("#parent{height:227px;}"); document.writeln("#hbBreadbox{top:181px;}"); document.writeln("</st"+"yle>"); }else { document.writeln("<st"+"yle>"); document.writeln("#parent{height:227px;}"); document.writeln("#hbBreadbox{top:181px;}"); document.writeln("</st"+"yle>"); } </SCRIPT><STYLE>#parent { HEIGHT: 227px}#hbBreadbox { TOP: 181px}#flCheck_div { VISIBILITY: hidden}</STYLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=768 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=11>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=breadCrumb>Sports & Recreation: Sporting Events > Local Forecast for Memphis, TN (38104) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<SCRIPT> if(document.getElementById("hbBreadbox").offsetHeight >37){ // document.getElementById("parent").style.height = 310+'px'; } /*~~~ psrt - var that indicates the highlighted link in the secondary navigation ~~~*/ if(pstr!=''){ document.getElementById(pstr).className ='hdMILinkSel'; } //setting class of the left tab next to the Default tab to a class with no right border checkforDefault(); function checkforDefault(){ if(hbBMDefault != ''){ document.getElementById(hbBMDefault).className = 'navSelected'; defaultnum = parseFloat(hbBMDefault.substr(5,5)); if(defaultnum>1){ defaultnum = defaultnum-1; var holder = "hbBMI"+defaultnum; } } } </SCRIPT><SCRIPT> if(hbBMDefault != ''){ if (document.getElementById(hbBMDefault)) { document.getElementById(hbBMDefault).className = 'navSelected'; } } var mainBreadboxValue = readDiv('mainBreadbox'); writeDiv('hbBreadbox',mainBreadboxValue); </SCRIPT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=466><!-- content --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=blkVerdanaText10 vAlign=center align=middle>
blank.gif

Local Forecast | Averages & Records | Event Details
blank.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=1>
blank.gif
</TD><TD width="50%">
blank.gif
</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#ffffff>
blank.gif
</TD><TD width="50%">
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#ffffff>
blank.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><!--inserst obs title module here--><!--inserst obs module here--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=233 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=CCTextsm width=5>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=CCTextsm width=63>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=CCTextsm width=5>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=CCTextsm width=160>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=CCTextsm>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=CCTextsm vAlign=top align=left colSpan=3>Memphis, TN (38104)
Updated Oct 10 10:45 a.m. CT
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>
32.gif
</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsTempText vAlign=center align=middle>73°F</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Sunny</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=middle>Feels Like: 73°F</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>UV Index:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>4 Moderate</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Wind:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>From the East Southeast at 3 mph</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Dew Point:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>60°F</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Humidity:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>63%</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Visibility:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>10.0 miles</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>Pressure:</TD><TD>
blank.gif
</TD><TD class=obsText vAlign=top align=left>30.10 inches and steady</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
blank.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#ffffff>
blank.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><!--inserst CMS module here--><TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #863637 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #863637 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #863637 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #863637 1px solid" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=blkVerdanaText12 align=middle bgColor=#fffae2>
blank.gif

Louisville
@ Memphis (Schedule)
blank.gif

Friday, October 10, 2008

blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><COLGROUP><COL><COL></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#863637 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inDentA style="COLOR: #ffffff" align=left bgColor=#863637 colSpan=2>
blank.gif

Event Day Forecast for Oct. 10
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#863637 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inDentA align=middle bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2>
blank.gif

Mostly Sunny
Daytime High:83°F
Overnight Low:62°F
Probability of Precipitation: 10%
Wind: From the East Southeast at 5 mph
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#fffae2 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="60%" bgColor=#fffae2>Spectator Index</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="40%" bgColor=#fffae2>UV Index</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#fffae2 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="60%" bgColor=#ffffff>8</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="40%" bgColor=#ffffff>High</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#fffae2 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#fffae2>Sunrise</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#fffae2>Sunset</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#fffae2 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#ffffff>7:02 AM</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#ffffff>6:31 PM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Louisville at Memphis
Louisville PK Tim Dougherty (suspension) is expected to miss next 2 games
Louisville QB Hunter Cantwell (ankle) upgraded to probable
Louisville DE Maurice Mitchell (Leg) left last game is questionable
Louisville SS Latarrius Thomas (Shoulder) left last game is questionable
Louisville WR Troy Pascley (hip) left last game is questionable

Ville's first game on the road. Though the their stats are impressive, they are skewed by three home games.

I'm not trusting Cant(throw)well's 5/5 TD-INT ratio.

Louisville at Memphis
*Louisville PK Tim Dougherty (suspension) is expected to miss next 2 games
*Louisville QB Hunter Cantwell (ankle) upgraded to probable
*Louisville DE Maurice Mitchell (Leg) left last game is questionable
*Louisville SS Latarrius Thomas (Shoulder) left last game is questionable
Louisville WR Troy Pascley (hip) left last game is questionable

Starting PK Douagherty and 2nd string WR Pasley are out tonight.

The other three are all Starters and Key Players players. They are listed to start vs Memphis.

Here are some others for Louisville

Safety Richard Raglin (10/9, wrist) is out indefinitely.
Linebacker Darius Mann (10/5, undisclosed) is questionable for Friday's game against Memphis.
Back Up Quarterback Matt Simms (10/5, four-game suspension served) is probable for Friday's game against Memphis.
Wide receiver Scott Long (10/5, broken foot) is probable for Friday's game against Memphis.

*Starters

MEMPHIS -

Running back Charlie Jones (10/9, high ankle sprain/knee) is
doubtful for Friday's game against Louisville.

(RB Jones, a non starter played in first five games-DNP vs UAB)

**Kicker Matt Reagan (10/5, hip) is questionable for Friday's game against Louisville.

(Kicker Reagan (non starter) played in first four games-DNP vs Ark St +UAB.)

Last edited:
That look's like too many players that are ouchy and/or out to be laying Road Chalk with Louisville.

This is their first game on the road after four home games so they could be nice and fat from the home cooking! (They lost both SU as HF and won as a HD with NL in the other game.)

On paper I like the Ville alot but not sure what I am doing if anything here. Agree with VK teams stepping up and down in class respectively . We still have the Ville playings its road game which concerns me . Really the issue for me is very simple FG kickers . Louisville is a mystery at this point when it comes to kicking them and Memphis a very solid kicker . In CFB or football in general that just fucks with the game . Does Louisville get stuck in alot of situations where they are forced to go for 4th downs ? Does Louisville even have sure bet to kick inside 35 yds or 40 yds ? Just hate that fact about this game.

Watch the Ville make it moot and score 5 TDs. Right now passing as I already teased Ville and Iowa earlier ....:cheers:Total maybe at some point wil interest me......BOL all

Ks Chris Philpott and Ryan Payne—Either the true freshman or the redshirt freshman will be the kicker this week for a squad that right now has no confidence in its field goal unit. The winner can stake a strong claim to the job, and make the Cardinals fans breathe a whole lot easier, by making the 3-pointer a reliable part of the team’s arsenal again----Yahoo Sports

WR- Scott Long will make his season debut so that is good. Tiger defense just 3 INTS so far .

For memphis though believe RB Charlie Jones is nicked up and questionable. he has 6 of there 7 rushing TDs from RBs and sort of teh goal line back .

Possibly interested in and under 56.5 :cheers:

On paper I like the Ville alot but not sure what I am doing if anything here. Agree with VK teams stepping up and down in class respectively . We still have the Ville playings its road game which concerns me . Really the issue for me is very simple FG kickers . Louisville is a mystery at this point when it comes to kicking them and Memphis a very solid kicker . In CFB or football in general that just fucks with the game . Does Louisville get stuck in alot of situations where they are forced to go for 4th downs ? Does Louisville even have sure bet to kick inside 35 yds or 40 yds ? Just hate that fact about this game.

Watch the Ville make it moot and score 5 TDs. Right now passing as I already teased Ville and Iowa earlier ....:cheers:Total maybe at some point wil interest me......BOL all

SN,

I've been waiting for you to check in before I posted this other info.

Here is what Phil Steele's Scorebook stated,

"The Cards lead the series, 21-19 and have won 5 of last 6, but are 1-5 ATS. (Louisville 11-6 in Road Openers last 17 years)"

They haven't played each other since 2004 and DNP in 2000, so I "only" have 16 years of past history for you guys.

This is Lousiville's PS record At Memphis

2004 @Memphis -13 56-47 +7 (L)
2002 " -10.5 38-32 +6 (L)
1999 " - 2.5 32-31 +1 (L)
1997 " +10 20-21 -1 (L)
1995 " +3.5 17-7 +10 (W)
1993 " +9 54-28 +26 (W)
1991 " +9 7-35 -19 (L)
1989 " -8 40-10 +30 (W)

Louisville away is SU 6-2 and PS 3-5 last eight road games. The average margin is 6.5 and the median is 6 if the '89 +30 game is eliminated.

The average scoring margin is 57.5 and if the 105 pts scored in '04 is eliminated, the median is 50.

Louisville's record at home is 7-1 SU and PS 2-6. The scoring and median were both +3. Their were only 2 games that went over 56.
*I apologize in advance if this turns up scrambled again.:smiley_acbe:

Last edited:
i don't have much to say as i lean memphis, and a lot of reasons why i haven't played it have already been mentioned in here...

i do think that if you like memphis, you should take the over. their defense is so ridiculously bad, that their only prayer at winning or covering is in a shootout, and the points are worth less and less the higher scoring the game is...

i can't see them covering unless they get to 30, which imo is very possible. but anderson and bolen should have a field day

VK - no offense meant but don't let your heart bet Louisville because you want to get the money back for that last game that you were so upset about. I know you really feel you should have won that game. :shake:

VK - no offense meant but don't let your heart bet Louisville because you want to get the money back for that last game that you were so upset about. I know you really feel you should have won that game. :shake:

heh.

i think i made my case pretty cold heartedly. So far the angle for the other side seems to be spot ... first roadie for ville , and a perceived rivalry that doesnt really exist. This will be first game that the senior class has played against one another.

i dont chase. EVER

can be wrong but it wont be because i didnt look at the game objectively.

heh.

i think i made my case pretty cold heartedly. So far the angle for the other side seems to be spot ... first roadie for ville , and a perceived rivalry that doesnt really exist. This will be first game that the senior class has played against one another.

i dont chase. EVER

can be wrong but it wont be because i didnt look at the game objectively.

I meant more along the lines of PLAYING the game, at all. :shake: GL with what you decide.

VK - :shake:

As you can see by my avatar being a bottle of penis pills, I'm having a bad year. College hoops can't come soon enough... :prayer

I didnt realize that the Memphis had its backup kicker playing as well . The other K though did hit the gamewinner from 25 yds . He hit 2 short ones 25 and 34. Zaccario is a freshman I believe as well .

Playing the under and Ville 1st Q . Might wind up on them as well if the RB doesnt play

SN,

I've been waiting for you to check in before I posted this other info.

Here is what Phil Steele's Scorebook stated,

"The Cards lead the series, 21-19 and have won 5 of last 6, but are 1-5 ATS. (Louisville 11-6 in Road Openers last 17 years)"

They haven't played each other since 2004 and DNP in 2000, so I "only" have 16 years of past history for you guys.

This is Lousiville's PS record At Memphis

2004 @Memphis -13 56-47 +7 (L)
2002 " -10.5 38-32 +6 (L)
1999 " - 2.5 32-31 +1 (L)
1997 " +10 20-21 -1 (L)
1995 " +3.5 17-7 +10 (W)
1993 " +9 54-28 +26 (W)
1991 " +9 7-35 -19 (L)
1989 " -8 40-10 +30 (W)

Louisville away is SU 6-2 and PS 3-5 last eight road games. The average margin is 6.5 and the median is 6 if the '89 +30 game is eliminated.

The average scoring margin is 57.5 and if the 105 pts scored in '04 is eliminated, the median is 50.

Louisville's record at home is 7-1 SU and PS 2-6. The scoring and median were both +3. Their were only 2 games that went over 56.
*I apologize in advance if this turns up scrambled again.:smiley_acbe:

Thanks bro . Always appreciate the help.

Played Under 56.5 / 57 and 1st Q Lville so far . Also have a teaser VK would love Ville and Iowa...still might add Ville after rethinking it . There defense is very underrated and can see Memphis really struggling especially if there short yardage back is out but I am not that familiar with much outside of the QBs and Singleton at WR. :cheers:

Rumor has it, Ramble gained 3 inches in 3 days

Hell if that was true this whole forum would be looking for express shipping . Then in 4 days they would be trying it in hole they could find ....actually they might start making there own holes to try it out ..insert scene from American Pie :36_11_6:

Thanks bro . Always appreciate the help.

Played Under 56.5 / 57 and 1st Q Lville so far . Also have a teaser VK would love Ville and Iowa...still might add Ville after rethinking it . There defense is very underrated and can see Memphis really struggling especially if there short yardage back is out but I am not that familiar with much outside of the QBs and Singleton at WR. :cheers:

'Ville / Iowa & 'Ville / ECU ML Parlays here...gave me better odds than a TEASE...:cheers:

Back