LMAO...Old Man River beckons again

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Mavericks sign 44-year-old Willis to 10-day contract

Mon, Apr 2, 2007

By Associated Press

DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks signed 44-year-old center Kevin Willis to a 10-day contract Monday, making him the oldest active player in the NBA.
Willis has played 20 seasons with seven teams, most recently Atlanta for 29 games in 2004-05. He didn't play last season.
Willis, born Sept. 6, 1962, is the oldest player in team history and the second-oldest in league history. He has career averages of 12.2 points and 8.4 rebounds and is the active leader in games played at 1,419.
Willis practiced with the Mavericks on Monday in Phoenix and will make the trip to Sacramento for Tuesday's game.
Oddsmakers have listed the Mavs as 7 1/2-point favorites and the total is set at 204.
Starting center Erick Dampier missed Sunday's game against Phoenix after injuring his right shoulder while grabbing a rebound Friday against New York. An update on his status wasn't immediately available Monday. DeSagana Diop is the other center.

I remember this motherfucker back in 87 with doc rivers and the Hawks.

I remember this motherfucker back in 87 with doc rivers and the Hawks.

Oh yeah...the old Hawks teams...

The ultimate Black Hole team..lol

Dominique
Doc Rivers
John Battle
Spud Webb
Antoine Carr
Kevin Willis
Jon Koncak
Cliff Levingston

Those were the days.

Kevin Willis is one of the premier in shape athletes you will ever see though...

jesus bar...your going back.

remember when the pistons wanted jon koncak so bad back then?

jesus bar...your going back.

remember when the pistons wanted jon koncak so bad back then?

The funny thing...the Stons back in 90 in reality started the NBA Salary binge with their FA contract offer to one Jon Koncak. This is something many people may not know but they made a ridiculous offer to him. It was somewhere near 2 million a year(very high back then...even for a star..and this guy was a journeyman center). It might have been 2.5..whatever. The Hawks were so concerned that DET knew something they didn;t about Koncak that they resigned him(he was restricted..they had 15 days to match). You guys nowadays think you see bad FA signings. This was the worst ever and started what we see now. Once the stars of the NBA saw this guy making that money they all wanted rasies and things spiraled outta control over the next 6-7 years from there.

Also...anyone older here remember that Magic Johnson in the early 80's signed a 25 year/25 million doller contract to be "a Laker for life"...lol

In November 1981, five months after signing a $25-million, 25-year contract, Magic asked the Lakers to trade him or fire Westhead. The next day, owner Jerry Buss canned Westhead, replacing him with Pat Riley. Magic got booed for awhile for getting his coach fired -- it was said this was the ultimate Magic act, making one's coach disappear -- but his play -- and smile -- eventually won the fans back.

i was the biggest clyde "the glide" drexler fan. i loved MJ infinite times more tho of course.

Didnt Steve Smith also have a recent stint with either New Orleans or Charlotte ?

Yes...he also was on Spurs championship team in 04 I believe.

Too bad he tore his knee up early in career. He had an all-star career but coulda been even more special. The guy was one of the best passing players over 6'8" I have ever seen in cbb and early in his NBA days. Very unselfish and consumate team player. He ended up being mostly a jump shooter latter half of career. Too bad..he was gonna be mini-magic until that injury. He was a Spartan like Magic and named himself "Tricky" to kinda play off that. Always respected him so much..kinda like a Joe D. as being a great off the court ambassador to NBA(they are related by marriage too)

i have to dig up my late 80s and early 90s basketball cards now. i know i have a shaq rookie card in my book somewhere.

I'm surprised no one has put this together, with Easter coming up and all. Is it a coincidence that Kevin Willis decides to resurrect his career during Holy Week? I think not. He's joining the Mavericks ..four horseman of the appocalypse?? Now I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but I'm going to throw this out there .. I think Kevin Willis might the the second coming of Jesus. If thats true, and I realize it's a big if .. then I think the Mavs have a clear situational edge on the Kings tomorrow -7.5

damn I feel old as fuck...was in MLB for a minute and didn't think this thread would get like this, but those were the good ole days.

Back