Little help from my friends

BoilerBill

I have been a member for a while now, and I tail alot of your guys picks. I want to start capping some games myself and contribute to this site a little more. Can some of you guys give an idea on how to get started? What stats you guys look at to get an idea on a game, if you have a formula you use or whatever will point me in the right direction. I mostly bet college football and college basketball. Anything will help. Thanks

Well, a lot of it is going to be individual and what works for you.

It could be statistical in team vs. team, it could be the line, it could be the spot (when the game is in the season for each of the two teams).

What jumps out at you when you look at a game?

this question is so difficult to answer. nobody i know goes about handicapping a game in the same manner.

my advice to you would be to look at how those who you have tailed have handicapped a game and start there (you would prolly be most comfortable and familar there). once you pick up on that then you could venture out on your own and choose what works and doesnt work for you.

what i do is start with the situation itself. first question i ask is who is more motivated and why? then i look at how the teams have matched up in the past and what the outcomes have been. i then look at the line and see what kind of value i am getting. i then place my wager on what i feel this situation, matchup, and line warrants in a dollar amount.

im relatively new to this, 2 years in, so im still in a similar boat as yourself.

handicapping involves a great deal of sound decision making and discipline.

hope this helped somewhat, if at all, and good luck.

I have been a member for a while now, and I tail alot of your guys picks. I want to start capping some games myself and contribute to this site a little more. Can some of you guys give an idea on how to get started? What stats you guys look at to get an idea on a game, if you have a formula you use or whatever will point me in the right direction. I mostly bet college football and college basketball. Anything will help. Thanks

Scoresandodds.com is a great site that will help you. GL with your plays! :cheers:

BoilerBill - Welcome to CTG. :shake:

As Week 1 of the upcoming NCAAF season approaches, and the lines start to come out, converse with other cappers (like Blitz, pags, rj, MUGG, etc) around here as much as you can. I've been to a few capping sites, and the consensus here for NCAAF is unrivaled, bar none. Most people in here have different styles of picking winners and beating the spread. The key is to find what works for you, and not sticking your neck out too far.

If you have any questions, just fire away! That's what we're all here for...to discuss and find ways to beat the man and fatten our pockets!

A few things I look at when I cap games...

• Statistics
  • Situation
  • Coaching
  • Trends
  • Power Rankings (essentially, can be included in the statistics category)
There is no particular order to the things I listed.

Again, if you have any questions, fire away. If I can't answer, I'm sure someone else around here can. :cheers:

play small, play few games, play straight bets for the same amount.

pretty boring, but if you are just getting started or not very confident this will save you from wiping your BR out. eventually as you spend more and more time finding out what works and what doesn't you will actually want to reverse those tendencies above. goodluck

read about every d-1a team like i do and every preview mag out there and for conference games go with trends they always cash in. know every team abd you will be fine you have to have passion for the sport though as its my fav and i am the best at it out of the sports i pick winners in on my personal record. BOL any ?'s check out any threads started sunday night where the dedicated cappers go and discuss

Never chase your loses. This golden rule of betting still gets me, Colts loss to Pittsburgh 2 years ago. I tried to make up for a break even pro season all in 1 bet.

Back