Lions vs Bears Thanksgiving Talking Points

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Trubisky listed as questionable. Took a big hit on his sore shoulder against Minny, but stayed in the game, so i'd think that he'll play, although he doesn't get much time to recover--in fact, the Bears have the shortest turnaround in NFL history (so much for caring about player safety, Roger!)

Trubisky had a rough start for which I partly blame his youth, the new coaching staff (Nagy and Helfrich), and the new plethora of weapons.

But he has actually been very consistent in the following sense:

Against Seattle, Green Bay, Buffalo, Minnesota, and Arizona he posted a passer rating between 61 and 83 and exceeded 200 yards only one time. Those teams rank top-10 in pass defense DVOA

Detroit's pass D has been exposed since teams stopped running it down their throats as they did earlier in the season. The secondary is star playmaker Darius Slay and everybody else.It ranks 31st in pass defense DVOA. bottom-five vs #1 #2 and other receivers and tight end, #20 vs running backs.

Bears have a lot of weapons who should have big games here: Miller, Robinson, Gabriel, Burton and Cohen.

The Bears faced three bottom-10 pass defenses. Trubisky produced a 122 rating against Miami and over 148 against both Tampa Bay and Detroit.

The Lions' run defense has improved strongly since Damon Harrison arrived. A'Shawn Robinson has also been effective. In the last three games, teams' running play frequency has dropped about six percent and YPC by .9 percent. They just limited a high-caliber Carolina rush attack to 3.5 YPC. They contained Cam in the pocket, who still threw for 357 yards and three touchdowns.

So it will be crucial to consider the health of Trubisky as well as that of Harrison and Robinson, both of whom are listed as questionable in this short week. If their health is affected, I see Chicago's run game opening up in support of its pass attack. If Trubisky can't go, then may God be with Chase Daniels.

I see Detroit's offense as being in trouble. Kerryon Johnson is out. That leaves Riddick who averages 3.3 YPC and Blount who averages 2.3 YPC behind an o-line that ranks 20th in power success rate and 19th in stuff rate against a Chicago d-line that ranks second in power success rate, 15th in stuff rate, and #1 in opposing YPC.

Without a running game, Stafford will be throwing and throwing and throwing. Can you say: Khalil Mack sack prop? Chicago ranks ninth in adjusted sack rate and should have a field-day against pass-heavy Detroit. Chicago's number one pass defense may also benefit from the injury to Marvin Jones, who is listed as questionable, and the departure of Golden Tate. That would leave Chicago to focus on Kenny Golladay, whose target-to-catch ration was below average against the Bears on November 11.

Stafford did absolutely nothing that game on November 11. 274 yards on 42 attempts, two touchdowns and two interceptions. But both of those touchdowns came when down 34-10 with less than 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter. The Bears have the fourth-best pass defense DVOA.

In terms of whom the situation favors, I see it as being rather up in the air.

Bears coming off emotional primetime win against Vikings. Travel to a team that they soundly beat just a couple weeks ago. Maybe they take things lightly.

Lions coming off upset win at home.

Much is being made of Chicago's historically quick turnaround, but for god's sakes it's seven fewer hours than Detroit. Seven. And Chicago to Detroit is not exactly London or San Diego.

So match-up wise, Chicago seems to be clear-cut. But injury questions of Trubisky and Harrison/Robinson and uncertainty surrounding the situation beg me to pause.

Last edited:
1542735756970.png

Bears off a Sunday night huge, emotional divisional win...insanely short turnaround time...QB banged up....QB who has plenty of talent but makes bad decisions...Lions in a Turkey Day game which they always seem super juiced for.

There is a 0% chance I want to back Chicago here. How are they up for this game in this spot?

The 4 roadies are all circled on the schedule above. Absolute choke job second halves in the first 3 and then the worst QB in the history of the world in the last road game.

Loss by 1 to GB (4-5-1)
Win by 2 at AZ (2-8)
Loss by 3 to Mia (5-5)
Nathan Peterman's Christmas - Bears didn't have to show up

I really like this Bears team especially in first halves as I think Nagy scripts some amazing stuff during the week and is a hugely innovative, offensive mind. The D is awesome, no doubt.

But under all of the circumstances here, the situational angle, the rivalry, it being Turkey Day, Trubisky being banged up, the Bears being so different away from Soldier Field...

Leos plus the points for me or nothing...

Thing is, in three of those road games Trubisky faced a top-10 pass defense. So maybe the match-up explains the poor performance. The one exception is Miami. In terms of venue, you can‘t put Miami on a level with Detroit. The defense was gassed by the heat and the score shows it. Plus, Mack was ineffective due to injury.

I definitely agree about Nagy being great at scripting plays. So maybe Bears 1H altho I like to fade a letdown team especially in the 1H.

Buffalo is #1 in pass yards allowed per game...I see your point in trying to use statistical breakdown, but I'm going off the page a bit here, VC.

Lions know how to prep for this short week ... Nagy cannot even put all the phenomenal pre-scripted plays in this week as his time is cut in half and his QB is hurt.

What is the motivation for the Bears to not want to just squeak a win out and get the hell out of town?

Their QB is beat up. It's as bad of a letdown spot as can be...vs. a team who historically always steps up on the short week.

Kerryeon is hurt, but the Leos don't even treat him (or use him) like the 3-down stud back he has potential to be. So the Bears strength on D gets neturalized, because any smart Lions gameplan won't have them trying to move the ball on the ground much anyway.

Bears are susceptible to being spread out and getting worn out ... like you said vs. Miami with the Heat ... Rodgers went pace and the pass rush was totally minimized in the 2nd half in that game. Plus Trubisky will be tentative to run and CLEARLY makes worse decisions as the game goes on and everything isn't scripted for him. He shows he's a 2nd year guy.

Just think the value is in the Leos and just locked in a play on them +3.5. And it is not out of the realm of possibility we see Chase Daniel here...I actually think would be better for the Bears than a half-beat up Mitch.

We shall see, my friend.

I like your reasoning amigo. BOL to your play. I will post what I decide as well. Will wait for the Lions guys to tune in.

Would certainly rush to bet Detroit if I thought there was serious danger of Trubisky missing, which would probably move the line past key number, but i‘m (only) guessing there isn‘ty

dont bet on a game just bc its Thanksgiving. Look at your own post; you can talk yourself into and out of both sides here. So much uncertainty If this were on a sunday, you wouldn't play it, so don't play it now; unless you are ok with being a gambler and not a handicapper.

now, if you do need some action to go with you turkey day booze, maybe a Golladay prop or something. I do this sometimes, but for me there is a clear difference in unit size between a legit handicapped play and a "screw it I want action" play. If you are doing this hobby with intentions of profiting, I would say this is exactly the type of game you stay away from...

or bet in game, of course.

Good advice D. Right now, this is a game which for me is a clear no-bet because the match-up says one thing and the spot says the complete opposite. If somebody inspires me with a golden insight i'll play it, if I get lonely cause thanksgiving at college i'll put mcdonalds money on something, or just sit and watch :) Maybe we will reach a breakthrough in discussion or somebody else will profit from the info in here somehow.

Regarding that Bills game, Chicago scored two defensive touchdowns, and offensive touchdowns in drives of 37, 23, and 50 yards ,respectively. Bears only had 190 total yards, Buffalo had 264.

Props I like are over bets for Gabriel and Miller. Lions have been getting blown up by #2 and #3 WRs

DJ Moore 7-157-1
Samuel 5-55-1
Miller 5-122-1
David Moore 4-97-1
Amendola 6-84-1
St. Brown 3-89-0
MVS 7-68-1

Anxiously awaiting @The Farm Thanksgiving Theo props!

Been lurking and trying to figure out a way to play this game. I dropped a quarter on the Lions money line already but you know my thoughts on the lions on thanksgiving RENO. I also dropped a quarter on the lions 1H tt OVER 9.5. If the common folk are right we may see stafford throw 45-50 times, however the way patricia seems to be attacking this new run game is too predictable. He has no second half adjustments. It's almost as if he has one game plan and he stick to it and he thinks eventually it will work. I will be on Theo and the saxamophonist over props. I will be cooking my feast again and drinking at least a case of Canadian beers.
To quote a good friend of mine from sunday evening also with lions season tickets for a long time, "THE LIONS MAKE MY FOOTBALL BONER CONFUSED". I will look at props tomorrow. I am still in the lets give this guy a year and a half type mode. It bothers me that we beat the teams we should not and vice versa. All in all, this team will be salivating to face the division leader at home on turkey day. Here is to Ziggy or Snacks snapping the rookies collar bone like a twig.:cheers6:

I‘m curious what it‘s like for Lions fans. Is there a big split in the fan base between the Sparty fans and UM ones? Do Lions fans just avoid asking each other whether they‘re for UM or MSU to avoid tension? Can they get along as Lions fans even if some are for UM others for MSU?

I‘m curious what it‘s like for Lions fans. Is there a big split in the fan base between the Sparty fans and UM ones? Do Lions fans just avoid asking each other whether they‘re for UM or MSU to avoid tension? Can they get along as Lions fans even if some are for UM others for MSU?
Using chicago as example. Sox v. Cubs but all are bears fans. It never comes up honestly

Yeah, it's totally separate. This is a 4 pro teams town first and foremost. The Lions are something that pulls at people's hearts like you don't even know. Without our bitching about the Lions, we wouldn't know how to live really. You were born into it.

Anthony Miller and Keryon props I'll look at, not like Daniel isn't capable of having a decent to good day and I expect Keryon to get a fair share of carries to limit the pass rush

OyIvSI7.png

Last edited:
Back