Lines that make no sense (from public POV)

53percent

Pretty much a regular
I will try to follow this every week, granted not every week will have the same number of these lines.

This week there is only one that I see:

Louisville -12.5

I will not be betting on it one way or another.

Agree w/ L'ville, I'm not touching either side. The over looks tempting but that's for another thread.

Maryland -7

I capped (with the intent of betting UConn) this at Maryland -10, and I thought that was being generously low. Years ago the public would have jumped all over the sexy Maryland offense we've seen in the first two games. I still expect Terp money to come in the next few days, and I think UConn is ready for them after two weeks of prep.

ND -20.5

This line actually opened at -24 and was quickly bet down to three touchdowns. ND is obviously much better than Purdue but three TD's better? At South Bend, sure, but think this ends a two-score ND win.

UCF is gonna get in Penn States ass and its not a joke.....UCF at 6 was laughable, down to 5 now....only adv for psu is night game but not national tv game and also like the under at 51.....23-16 ucf

IU over looks too easy, BG been pretty efficient on offense and IU obviously can score and give up 50 to the CTG forum

those 3 stuck out to me

Duke QB out w/broken collarbone. Huge majority on GT opened 10 down to 8. Vad Lee is strong and defense is above average. I dont see how Duke keeps up but someone must.

Duke QB out w/broken collarbone. Huge majority on GT opened 10 down to 8. Vad Lee is strong and defense is above average. I dont see how Duke keeps up but someone must.

Would agree if it was Renfree with the broken collarbone but is there really enough difference in Boone and the backups to change your numbers? I would lean no and I would also say that both Connette and Sirk are more Cutcliffe type QBs with their height and primary throwing ability. Now I'm not sure how much time he has had to work with them. I'm not disagreeing with you at all regarding GT as being the right side. I'm just saying I wouldn't adjust much for Boone being out. Duke's offense actually clicked far better last week after the Boone injury

Great points Dwight. Your QB assessment is spot on.. I figured it would work to techs advantage to go against option type, Boone that they would have practiced against regularly defending their own offense. Make them grind out drives. Two years ago in Durham I was at game and it was back and forth with large chunks generated with Renfree and their stud wr. If their backups can throw downfield no reason it is not high scoring and within those two possessions for backdoor. Renfree success is directly related to Cutcliffe approach IMO. So definitely see these backups having success. I keep telling myself that gt secondary is stout with Johnson, Golden, Milton, Young, Thomas all very capable and athletic and Attochu leading rangy LBs. but they never seem to shut down big downfield arms. I agree Duke will every chance to cover. I dont think GT is right side on a bet, I would be very surprised if they lost.

Agree w/ L'ville, I'm not touching either side. The over looks tempting but that's for another thread.

Maryland -7

I capped (with the intent of betting UConn) this at Maryland -10, and I thought that was being generously low. Years ago the public would have jumped all over the sexy Maryland offense we've seen in the first two games. I still expect Terp money to come in the next few days, and I think UConn is ready for them after two weeks of prep.

ND -20.5

This line actually opened at -24 and was quickly bet down to three touchdowns. ND is obviously much better than Purdue but three TD's better? At South Bend, sure, but think this ends a two-score ND win.

agree with your ND thoughts, even though i jumped on em at -21. had em higher. the public is gonna think this line is off, for sure.

i question how many joe public's are gonna be looking at this maryland game though. especially when they really haven't played anyone. i guess why question is are these really games the public even thinks about?

AJC today

By Ken Sugiura
The open date has come to an end – on to more football. A few notes, and some words from true freshman linebacker Paul “P.J.” Davis.
1. As I posted Saturday night, Duke quarterback Anthony Boone will not play against Georgia Tech on Saturday because of a broken collarbone suffered in the Blue Devils’ win over Memphis Saturday. The starter will be Brandon Connette, who was pretty efficient in relief of Boone Saturday.
Connette was 14 for 21 for 198 yards with a pair of fourth-quarter touchdown passes, both finishing off 75-yard drives, against the Tigers. The adjustment to a new quarterback is obviously a pretty big test for the Blue Devils, who have had more than their share of bad injury luck in the last few years.
Connette, though, is a tough player who has played a variety of positions as he sat behind Sean Renfree. Tech fans may remember him as the quarterback who threw an interception to Mario Butler in the 2010 game that was returned 85 yards for a touchdown. At the time, Duke was up by a field goal and driving for a touchdown in the third quarter.

A recap of the Paul Johnson Tuesday news conference. Interesting as usual. He gave updates, delved into recruiting and redshirt freshmen, spoke about safety Isaiah Johnson's return and offered a take or two on the Duke defense. My colleague Jeff Schultz attended and is working on a column that will be available on myajc.com.
1. A-back Deon Hill is out. Johnson listed him as questionable Monday, but he will not play due to an illness. B.J. Bostic or Synjyn Days seem like the two most likely replacements in the starting lineup.
2. On Duke quarterback Brandon Connette: “He’s been in the program for a long time, been a quarterback there, so I’m sure it won’t vary much of what they do.”
3. Regarding the game: “Our big challenge this week is to go up there and play like Georgia Tech can play, take care of the ball and we’ll find out more of where we’re at this week. The competition level certainly ratchets up this week.”
Johnson returned to that theme once or twice, emphasizing that this is a big game – a league game, division game and road game.
“Our guys understand it’s a big game,” he said. “They’ve set goals. They want to get back to Charlotte. We need to win this game if that’s going to be one of the (achieved) goals.”
4. The only true freshmen to travel to Duke will be kicker Harrison Butker, linebacker Paul Davis and walk-on long snapper Trevor Stroebel, meaning that coaches are planning to redshirt the rest of the 13-member class. To Johnson, it’s an indication of the depth of the roster.
“To me, that’s the way you’re going to have a football program here,” he said. “You’re probably not going to sign top-five and top-10 classes here. Again, historically, has it ever happened? Go back and look. So the best way that you build depth is you bring in good, solid people and good, solid classes, hopefully build a depth that you can redshirt them.”
He pointed out to this year’s team, with seven senior starters on defense and five on offense.
“Historically, when you have that, you usually have better teams,” he said. “As I’ve said before, most of the time, 22-, 23-year-old young men are going to be better than guys who are 17, 18.”
5. Johnson spoke at length about safety Isaiah Johnson, coming back from an ACL tear.
“I think he wants to play. I don’t think it’s that,” Paul Johnson said about the possibility of a mental barrier. “I thnk he’s got to feel that he’s right. I can’t tell him that you’re right. He knows his body and he knows when he’s ready and I’m not going to push a young man who’s coming off that to say, ‘Hey, go ahead, go ahead.’”
Johnson said the safety could return to practice Tuesday (his first contact practices since suffering the injury in bowl practice). He’ll have the option of sitting out certain contact drills if he chooses.
“I assume we’re going to go out there and he’s going to come up and say, ‘Coach, I’m good,’” Johnson said.
6. Players of note on the Duke defense, from Johnson’s opinion: Cornerback Russ Cockrell, linebacker Kelby Brown, nose guard Jamal Bruce (from LaGrange). Johnson said that Bruce was “the guy that really caught my eye in the Memphis game. … He played pretty physical and has played good.”
Of the defense overall, Johnson said they run better and are more physical. They have limited Duke’s first two opponents (N.C. Central and Memphis) to one offensive touchdown.
“Everything we’ve seen so far, they look like the old Pittsburgh Steelers,” Johnson said. “They shut everybody down. Nobody had much success and that kind of thing. That’s what we’ve got to get ready for.”

Everyone in this thread is public...

"Public" all over Oregon and Arizona last week both covers were known already at halftime...

I still like the thread but realize that we all public too.

I thought south Carolina was the sucker bet last week..

I was on Georgia...

This week it might be Maryland... And I'm on Maryland..

I'm usually really good at predicting line movement, I'd surprised this line is not over 8

Back