Lets switch it up... after 12 weeks...lets discuss...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
A few things for moving forward. We pretty much have learned these teams pretty well so lets go with these topics if we can...

1. Teams to look for in terms of playing for bowl eligibility

2. Teams that have flat out quit

3. Style points

4. And a bonus one -- CFP Seeding. I think this is going to be quite fascinating. There are three near locks to be in the playoffs and two of those are going to have to play each other in the semis.
- Ohio State will play 3 top-15 teams to finish the year
- LSU has a cupcake and an average team before a probable #4 ranked Georgia
- Clemson is basically locked into a 2 or 3 seed unless one of the above loses a game

LSU and OSU gave up way more points than they both should have this weekend. Next two weeks will show the true D of the Buckeyes.

Does LSU get in with a close loss to Georgia in the SEC champ game? Or would Utah/Oregon jump them as the best 1 loss team.

Leaning Utah over Bama/Oregon next best one loss over Georgia at this point

4. And a bonus one -- CFP Seeding. I think this is going to be quite fascinating. There are three near locks to be in the playoffs and two of those are going to have to play each other in the semis.
- Ohio State will play 3 top-15 teams to finish the year
- LSU has a cupcake and an average team before a probable #4 ranked Georgia
- Clemson is basically locked into a 2 or 3 seed unless one of the above loses a game
They've screwed up the seeding again. Clemson (or Clemson fans at least) would much rather play LSU than anOSU. Ohio State should be seeded 1. Ohio State's next two games, however, will give them a chance to climb to 1, and I hope they do. I imagine they feel the same way.

1. Teams to look for in terms of playing for bowl eligibility

Arizona 4-6: Utah, @ ASU

Arizona St 5-5: Oregon, Arizona

Army 5-6: bye, @ Hawaii, Navy

Ball St 4-6: @ Kent, Mia(Oh)

Boston College 5-5: @ ND, @ Pitt

Buffalo 5-5: Toledo, BGSU

Cal 5-5: @ Stanford, @UCLA

Charlotte 5-5: Marshall @ ODU

Coastal Carolina 4-6: @ ULM Texas St

Colorado 4-6: Washington @ Utah

Colorado St 4-6: @ Wyoming Boise

Duke 4-6: @ Wake, Miami

Eastern Michigan 5-5: @ NIU Kent

FIU 5-5: @ UTSA, USM

Fresno St 4-6: Nevada @ San Jose

Kent St 4-6: Ball St, @ E Mich

Kentuck 5-5: UT Martin, LV

Michigan St 4-6: @ Rutgers, Mary

Mississippi St 4-6: Abilene Christian, Egg Bowl

Missouri 5-5: Tenn @ Ark

Nebraska 4-6: @ Mary, Iowa

North Carolina 4-6: Mercer, @ NCState

North Carolina St 4-6: @ GT, UNC

North Texas 4-6: @ Rice, UAB

Northern Illinois 4-6: EMich, WMich

Ohio 4-6: @ BGSU, @ Akron

Oregon St 5-5: @ Wash St, @ Oregon

Purdue 4-6: @ Wisconsin, Indiana

San Jose 4-6: @ UNLV, Fresno

Syracuse 4-6: @ LV, Wake

TCU 5-5: @ Oklahoma, WVU

Tennessee 5-5: @ Mizzou, Vandy

Texas Tech 4-6: Kansas ST @ Texas

Troy 5-5: @ ULL, App St

UCLA 4-6: @ USC, Cal

ULM 4-6: Coastal Car, @ ULL

USF 4-6: Memphis @ UCF

UTSA 4-6: FAU, @ LaTech

Washington St 5-5: Oregon St @ Washington

West Virginia 4-6: Oklahoma St, @ TCU

Some of those Sun Belt and MAC teams would need 7 wins to get a bowl. Same applies for CUSA and MWC. 6-6 is not a guarantee.

Teams with 6 that might need 7:

Arkansas State 6-4: GaSouthern @ USA

BYU 6-4: @ UMass @ San Diego State

GaSouthern 6-4: @ Ark St, GaState

GaState 6-4: USA @ GaSouthern

Liberty 6-4: @Virginia, NMSt (6-6 last year didn't get bowl)

Miami (Oh) 6-4: Akron, @ Ball St (6-6 last year didn't get bowl)

Nevada 6-4: @ Fresno, UNLV

Tulane 6-4: UCF, @ SMU

Utah State 6-4: Boise @ NewMexico

Western Kentucky 6-4: @ USMiss, MTSU

Wyoming 6-4: Col State @ Air Force (6-6 last year didn't get bowl)

Last edited:
Duke has quit again post-UNC. Wake might beat 'em by 50 again.

The one angle I didn't cap last week for Syracuse was Duke coming off what was maybe one of their biggest home games...ever? Notre Dame coming to your house is still a big deal for some school. Duke was obviously lifeless and then the turnovers blew it open in the 2nd H. Syracuse O really didn't do much after the early part of that game.

Do you think what happened to Tua yesterday affects what some of these other coaches do in similar situations going forward? I know the season is almost over. Clemson is off this week. But say Burrow this week vs Arky?

Do you think what happened to Tua yesterday affects what some of these other coaches do in similar situations going forward? I know the season is almost over. Clemson is off this week. But say Burrow this week vs Arky?
I think we see some Brennan for sure

LSU really 46 tho?

How you not have Arky? And I know they bad
Thought the same thing. At this point, don't you prepare your team for the worst case scenario, i.e. Burrow getting hurt? You're a playoff team at this point. At the very worst you play Burrow only a few drives. I'm sure Orgeron is mindful of trying to cover the spread, but when he sees 46, he'll be like "Uh, no, I'm not doing that You're on your own if you're laying that much."

Coaches are interesting creatures. They don't think like us. Most of them. Saban said he doesn't think about injuries, honestly I think most of them don't.

They have objectives, even in mismatches, that they want their team to achieve and if they execute all will go as it should.

It;s like when a team faces a great kick or punt returner. Fans are like 'why would you kick to him' and coaches are like 'if we do our assignment it doesn't matter who is back there'.

Coaches have a plan for their teams. They don't always match what outsiders think.

Teams with 6 that might need 7:

Arkansas State 6-4: GaSouthern @ USA

BYU 6-4: @ UMass @ San Diego State

GaSouthern 6-4: @ Ark St, GaState

GaState 6-4: USA @ GaSouthern

Liberty 6-4: @Virginia, NMSt (6-6 last year didn't get bowl)

Miami (Oh) 6-4: Akron, @ Ball St (6-6 last year didn't get bowl)

Nevada 6-4: @ Fresno, UNLV

Tulane 6-4: UCF, @ SMU

Utah State 6-4: Boise @ NewMexico

Western Kentucky 6-4: @ USMiss, MTSU

Wyoming 6-4: Col State @ Air Force (6-6 last year didn't get bowl)

You know what...

This is how I look at it. Obviously, you want to be safe but what happened to Tua is magnified because it happened while he was coming back from a different injury. I only would of had a problem with Saban yesterday if he had him out there in the 2nd half. Now, LSU and Joey B don't need to inflate his stats anymore. Once they get up comfortable, he should sit(after halftime) when deemed appropriate.

Gotta stop the opponent though. Even playing Arkansas, that is still a thing with that defense.

Who is the coach for Arkansas now? I don't think they can come close to duplicating what Ole Miss did...and I don't think LSU will throw those INTs...but Jefferson (if healthy) and Boyd, run run run, nah, LSU not gonna let Arky score like that. Right?

Who is the coach for Arkansas now? I don't think they can come close to duplicating what Ole Miss did...and I don't think LSU will throw those INTs...but Jefferson (if healthy) and Boyd, run run run, nah, LSU not gonna let Arky score like that. Right?

LSU hasn't stopped many teams but Arkansas should do the trick.

20 (no offense auburn)

Those are some big numbers. Utah State, Ga St and Messy didn't do much. NW state, 14.

So, I'd guess Arky gets somewhere from 14-21 looking at recent form.

Look, I know the amount of points is odd---but we didn't need anything but a W. We don't need anything but W's to win out. We were in a comfortable lead the whole time, I don't think we needed to pressure and pull out all stops to keep them to 0 points and yards. My humble unintelligent .02

Look, I know the amount of points is odd---but we didn't need anything but a W. We don't need anything but W's to win out. We were in a comfortable lead the whole time, I don't think we needed to pressure and pull out all stops to keep them to 0 points and yards. My humble unintelligent .02

I said the same thing about Alabama. I think it's an issue for LSU just like it was for us. Maybe they can overcome it, but I think Ohio St and Clemson could be real challenges. UGA too, but I don't believe they can score enough no matter how many stops they get

Examples/anecdotes regarding Herman?

In a nutshell, ISU lines up for the winning FG on Saturday. They miss it. Not one, but two, of our players are offside. They didn't miss the next FG. Game.

The coaching is just poor all around - fundamentals, discipline, in-game / halftime adjustments, schemes. We have good to very good talent but there's a big problem putting players in a position to succeed.

Herman's presser today was like a funeral. I've no doubt the team will play hard v. Waco on Saturday, they always do. They just don't play smart and that nullifies a lot of the effort.

In a nutshell, ISU lines up for the winning FG on Saturday. They miss it. Not one, but two, of our players are offside. They didn't miss the next FG. Game.

The coaching is just poor all around - fundamentals, discipline, in-game / halftime adjustments, schemes. We have good to very good talent but there's a big problem putting players in a position to succeed.

Herman's presser today was like a funeral. I've no doubt the team will play hard v. Waco on Saturday, they always do. They just don't play smart and that nullifies a lot of the effort.
I really want to see someone resurrect this thing.

Aranda is getting BLASTED down here.....

Think this is a time where team gets embarrassed, team that has the capability to do something about it, and they show out vs a bad team this week. Arkansas will be lucky to get over 14 I'd guess. What is Ark team total?

Think this is a time where team gets embarrassed, team that has the capability to do something about it, and they show out vs a bad team this week. Arkansas will be lucky to get over 14 I'd guess. What is Ark team total?
Haven’t seen it posted yet but based on the line and total you’re correct, TTs should be around 58 and 14.

Examples/anecdotes regarding Herman?

I'm sure most are bored with the Texas mediocrity. None more than me. 10 years in a row now with 4+ losses. This is a good read from Chip Brown for anyone that cares.

AMES, Iowa — Tom Herman’s offense has been a disaster in Texas’ last three road games. In all three - Oklahoma, TCU and Iowa State - Texas couldn’t run (ISU) or didn’t know how to run (OU) or abandoned the run (TCU). This is an offense with perhaps the best offensive line it’s had in a decade; the top running back recruit in the state of Texas two years ago; four-star talent all over the place at receiver; and a quarterback, who, by his own coach’s admission, should’ve been a leading candidate to win the Heisman Trophy coming into the 2019 season.

After another winnable-game-turned-loss - 10 games into the season - we heard Herman diagnose the problem perfectly: “Obviously a really, really poor performance by our offense the first few quarters,” Herman said. “We’ve got to really examine our game plan in the run game and our execution. To not be able to run the ball the way we thought - that was the biggest difference.”

With two games left on the schedule, however, we’re still waiting for the coach who called plays on offense masterfully in 2018 to come up with the answers in 2019. Whatever Herman comes up with, as he said in a bewildering post-game press conference in Ames, it will be … “Too little, too late.” Fans (and even his own players most likely) want answers, want solutions. Herman tells his players all the time to give everything they’ve got, and they’ll be put in a position to succeed. Not happening.

Changes are undoubtedly coming. Staff changes? Transfer portal declarations? Reopened recruitments? All of the above? For the fans who think Herman is the one who needs to be changed because he seems incapable of assessing himself honestly, forget that. Herman ain’t going anywhere. We know Herman is a smart guy. But who does he listen to? Who are Herman’s Truth Tellers? Anyone on his staff?

Everyone in football says a head coach who plays the bad cop and runs a demanding program with a burning-hot culture, without a lot of attaboys, can get away with it as long as you’re winning. The bottom line is, one of the most important traits of a head coach is to admit when he’s wrong - to his players, to his assistants, heck, to himself. “I’d never say we got outcoached,” Herman said after Saturday’s loss.

What’s maddening is Herman’s offense has operated well at home, including last week’s victory over K-State, in which Texas ran the ball and ran the final 6:45 off the clock to a game-winning field goal. Away from home, the offense has looked lost, ill-prepared and predictable. A college coach told me when Herman took the job, “Let’s see if he still relies on quarterback power right every time he’s in short yardage.”

I shrugged my shoulders, not quite understanding. But there it was again, on a failed fourth-and-2 (instead of a 38-yard field goal attempt), when his offense was floundering and in desperate need of points - any points at all. The offense regressed Saturday to the point of seven three-and-outs in Texas’ first 11 drives. And this was against an Iowa State defense that had been giving up third downs and big plays recently.

The Longhorns only seemed capable of moving the ball when they spread out in four- and five-wide and went up-tempo. So it was totally perplexing when Texas, with a one-point lead and four minutes left, abandoned that, went 11 personnel and tried to run between the tackles after failing to do that all night. Two running plays for no gain and an incomplete pass later, Iowa State had the ball and drove to the game-winning field goal.

Herman is a relatively young head coach who exploded on the scene with a 13-1 first year at Houston. In his two seasons at UH, he had Major Applewhite calling the plays. At Texas, Herman decided he needed to call the plays after a 7-6 first year. It worked beautifully in 2018, when the Texas offense carried the team in a 10-4 season. It’s not working in 2019, and, because the offense is Herman’s side of the ball, the head coach is being questioned without cover.

I’ve said repeatedly when the head coach plays the role of crazy-eyed drill sergeant in a program with a burning hot culture, he’d better do an exceptional job of making sure his players know how much he cares about them and/or have assistants who can do the same. Players will go through a wall for a demanding coach as long as they know he truly cares. The sign of a well-coached team is week-to-week improvement.

Texas appeared to have come together in the face of crisis last week and found things it could build on heading to Iowa State. That all disappeared in a three-and-out-a-thon in Ames Saturday - along with the chance to turn the season around. Now, at 6-4 (4-3 Big 12), with a road game at one-loss Baylor next up, Herman needs to figure out a way to get his offense going while inevitably pondering bigger changes. The search for solutions will undoubtedly start with a look in the mirror … or should.

I’ve said repeatedly when the head coach plays the role of crazy-eyed drill sergeant in a program with a burning hot culture, he’d better do an exceptional job of making sure his players know how much he cares about them and/or have assistants who can do the same.
I didn't realize Tome Herman was Vince Carter.

Back