Leach to UW?

chopz33

Enjoying My Honeymoon
Texas Tech coach Mike Leach , wearing a baseball hat, T-shirt, and tennis shoes, flew to Seattle yesterday afternoon from Las Vegas on Alaska Flight 601, according to a fellow passenger.
"I'm positive it was him,'' said Dave Christophersen, who said he immediately recognized Leach and had it reinforced when Leach's wife, Sharon, was called to the counter to upgrade to first class. Flight 601 is scheduled to leave each day at 11:20 a.m. and arrive in Seattle at 2:03 p.m.
So the obvious assumption is that Leach flew to Seattle to interview for the UW head coaching job.
That couldn't be immediately confirmed.
Texas Tech sports information director Chris Cook said he couldn't confirm or deny if Leach flew to Seattle saying he didn't know where Leach was today --- Texas Tech has concluded its regular season.
TT athletic director Gerald Myers could not be reached for comment, and UW officials have said they will not comment on prospective candidates.
Gary O'Hagan, the IMG agent who represents Leach, said that his client was not in Seattle to meet with the Huskies.
However, another source had told the Times last week that UW had contacted Leach and it was expected that more contact would come this week once Tech had completed its regular season. Tech went 11-1 this season and is rated No. 7 in the country.
Christophersen said he's seen Leach on TV enough times to know that the man sitting right in front of him on the flight was indeed the Texas Tech coach.
"I guarantee it was him,'' he said.
KELLY SAYS HE'S STAYING --- Also this morning, the Cincinnati Enquirer is reporting that Bearcats coach Brian Kelly says he's staying put in Cincinnati. Kelly made the announcement today alongside Cincy AD Mike Thomas while announcing a massive stadium renovation.
Kelly said Cincy fans can discount any rumors they hear about him. "I can tell you I'm going to be here at the University of Cincinnati,'' he said.

Comments (66) | Category: none |Permalink | Digg | Newsvine

December 1, 2008 10:17 PM

is this a step up at all? dun like the move 1 bit and wouldn't make it myself, personally.

Leach's agent was called and responded, "Mike Leach is not in Seattle..at this time".

Word on our Rivals site is that Leach flew Alaskan Airlines (whatever that is) through Las Vegas to interview for the job. None of the Tech coaches or anyone in the athletic department knew he was interviewing.

Leach did this a few years back for the Miami position. He wanted to bring his then defensive coaches at the time to the U and Miami cut those talks off. Maybe he is geniuinely interested in the position, or maybe he is trying to bust Tech's balls and get the university to pay him immediately. Either way, our site also says that Mora is the lead candidate for the job.

I personally wouldn't mind if Leach left. I think he has peaked here at Tech. He is a strange character and has brought a lot of publicity to Tech, but maybe he just wants a change of scenery? He had a lights out 11-1 year and we are going to the Cotton Bowl. Maybe he sees that he can dominate Pac-10 cupcakes, live on the West Coast in a city a little more cultured than Lubbock.

Anywho, someone get Art Briles on the phone. I hear there's cheap real estate in Lubbock.

Briles would be the perfect hire for TT if Leach leaves.

I think this rumor may come true. Alot of LSU guys have been saying for awhile that Woodward the new UW AD had his eyes on him for awhile.

Not to piss the TT guys off but this is not a lateral move. UW is definitely the sleeping giant in the PAC 10 with all of its resources.

Not to piss the TT guys off but this is not a lateral move. UW is definitely the sleeping giant in the PAC 10 with all of its resources.

Gorgeous school, great city, great facilities, strong recruiting area, weak conference where he really can start winning right away with a good QB and a soft schedule. Not a lateral move in any way; he made TT what it is, but it is still not a major athletic school, no matter what some of you guys might want to think. UW is.

Don't think it's a lateral move, but would also disagree that UW is a "more athletic school". I know I wouldn't turn down Seattle compared to Lubbock.

I doubt he leaves, but I would prefer if it. I think he is trying to prove his worth. I like Briles and his ties to Texas HS coaches. Can't get any worse than it is at UW. Give Leach 2 years and he would be the 2nd best team in the Pac-10.

It does not appear as if the Texas Tech staff knows anything at this point regarding Mike Leach's reported trip to Seattle.

- According to a source in Seattle, Washington is supposedly willing to spend anywhere from $2.5 to $3 million.

UPDATE, 4:00 p.m.: Just heard from an established source in Seattle that says he has "heard he's (Leach) definitely here today interviewing."

UPDATE, 4:51 p.m.: Someone within the Rivals Network spoke within the past hour with Mike Leach's agent, Gary O'Hagan, who would only confirm that Mike Leach was not in Seattle at that specific moment.

UPDATE, 7:10 p.m.: Things seem to have died down a bit. Beyond "not in Seattle," we can't get a good bead on Leach's current location. We're still trying to get in touch with him.

UPDATE, 8:41 p.m.: We have heard from a separate source in Seattle that confirmed that Leach was interviewing today, and added that she had heard it went "great."

If Leech did go, he has a lot to sell Jake Heaps, 2010 QB from Washington, going to be 1 of top players in country.

Don't think it's a lateral move, but would also disagree that UW is a "more athletic school". I know I wouldn't turn down Seattle compared to Lubbock.

I doubt he leaves, but I would prefer if it. I think he is trying to prove his worth. I like Briles and his ties to Texas HS coaches. Can't get any worse than it is at UW. Give Leach 2 years and he would be the 2nd best team in the Pac-10.

You want Leach to leave?

He is absolutely perfect for your school man. If you guys can't pull Briles I don't know who would be the next choice. It's going to have to be someone with a system type offense again.

Well, this one is put to rest.

Don't want to copy and paste anymore from our Rivals site, but the Admins are saying Leach will be back.

Too bad. Briles will have to wait a little longer. Would've been interesting though. This was by far the most exciting story regarding Leach leaving (Miami, UCLA, Clemson, Arkansas, Tennessee, Washington).

Next year, I predict the new suitors will be Notre Dame (won't happen because Leach is Mormon), and _____ University (fill in recently struggling traditional powerhouse here).

I don't want Leach to leave, but what's the difference between going 11-1 and finishing 3rd in your division and 7-5? You can lose 4 games and still go to the Cotton Bowl. Why not shake things up again and see what happens? I know there are a lot of schools that would kill even for 8 wins and as good as an offensive coach Leach is, he is still fails to make adjustments.

Long story:
Leach is trying to force our AD out. The AD refused to re-sign Leach before the start of the season because the AD can't run a budget (Marsha Sharp, Bob Knight and Larry Hayes are still on the payroll). The AD couldn't give Leach the money he wanted at the beginning of the 2008 season. Word is the AD is going to retire now that the East Side renovation of our stadium is funded (the AD wanted that to be his legacy after building the new basketball stadium).

In my own words per our Rivals guys, it was a "you don't know what you've got until it's gone" type move to punk our AD. Leach is a smart business man with a good agent. He knows what he's doing.

In other Tech news, defensive coaches did in-house visits with Pearlie Graves (Michigan "soft" commit) and Jonathan Stewart (Texas A&M commit). Got a feeling these 2 guys will wind up with Tech.

In other Tech news, defensive coaches did in-house visits with Pearlie Graves (Michigan "soft" commit) and Jonathan Stewart (Texas A&M commit). Got a feeling these 2 guys will wind up with Tech.

I know some people in Norman feel like they have a good chance w/ Graves as well.

For those who did not think Leach actually went to interview in Washington: (I guess coaches do sometimes fly on commercial airlines instead of private jets)

:36_11_6:

Reports: Texas Tech coach Leach travels to Washington

ESPN.com news services

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->
<!-- end story header --> <!-- begin left column --> <!-- begin page tools --> Updated: December 3, 2008, 9:45 AM ET

<!-- end page tools --> <!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->Texas Tech coach Mike Leach has met with Washington officials about the Huskies' soon-to-be vacant head coaching position, according to media reports in Texas and Seattle.
The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal and Seattle Times reported that according to sources, Leach met with Washington officials on Monday in Seattle. <!-- begin whole table --> <!-- begin top part --> Big 12 blog

griffin_tim_m.jpg
ESPN.com's Tim Griffin writes about all things Big 12 in his conference blog.
Blog network

<!-- end sidebar table --> Texas Tech AD Gerald Myers said he's preparing to offer a contract extension and raise to Leach, according to the Avalanche-Journal. Myers would not confirm or deny that Leach had interviewed at Washington, but expected that Leach would tell him if he were a serious candidate for the job, according to the report."I think he would if he's serious about it," Myers said, according to the report. "I think he would let me know. So I don't know. He wouldn't have to tell me, but I haven't heard from anybody, the coaches or anybody else about that."
Myers said he's had contract numbers in mind for Leach, but added that Texas Tech's 11-1 record and share of the Big 12 South title had increased what Leach deserves, according to the Avalanche-Journal.
"Oh, yeah. Yeah, definitely," Myers said, according to the report. "I think that was part of our reasoning [for waiting until December], to see exactly what the team accomplished, how they did, and I think it will have an impact on the numbers. We've always tried to compensate our coaches on what they accomplish." Leach did not return calls seeking comment on Tuesday, the newspaper reported. An Alaska Airlines employee privy to passenger lists confirmed that Leach and his wife arrived in Seattle on Monday afternoon and left Tuesday around noon, according to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. <!-- begin whole table --> <!-- begin top part --> Pac-10 blog

miller_ted_m.jpg
ESPN.com's Ted Miller writes about all things Pac-10 in his conference blog.
Blog network

<!-- end sidebar table --> Leach's agent, Gary O'Hagan, would not confirm that Leach interviewed with Washington.
"We're moving along and making some good progress, talking to lots of people, which is what we wanted," university president Mark Emmert said of the search, according to the Seattle Times. "I think we will be able to resolve this in the near future, but I'm not going to tell you what I mean by near future. But I'm really confident we are going to have a coach in place before the LSU game."
The winless Huskies (0-11) are looking for a new head coach to take over for Tyrone Willingham after the current season ends with Saturday's game against Cal.

Sorry to the Tech fans but now that it's being reported that in fact Tuberville is out as Auburn coach, I would be very surprised if Leach did not head to either Washington or Auburn.

Hopefully you guys will get another good coach but hopefully not someone as good as him because I'm tired of Tech giving my Sooners so many problems most years, LOL

Think through this one slowly please.

A new day and a new opening. If you can't figure this rumor out, please refer back to ESPN as your guiding light.

Leach isn't going to Auburn. If the good ole boys in the SEC won't let him coach at Tennessee, it ain't happening at Auburn.

Washington's a stretch too, although he'd have access to California QBs and talent. Better fit at UW.

I have a feeling he's staying at Tech unless they decide to completely fuck him on the money.

I think Texas should hire him as OC with the incentive in his contract to be Muschamp's successor.

Shit, just give all the pirate shit he wants and he should be happy. And tickets to Vince Gill whenever he's in town.

Think through this one slowly please.

A new day and a new opening. If you can't figure this rumor out, please refer back to ESPN as your guiding light.

So you believe he is doing all of this purely for leverage at Tech? No chance that he might seriously be entertaining offers from schools that can pay him more than Tech can? He flew to Washington. His camp fielding Auburn phone calls last night. Any chance he is pissed that the Tech AD needed to "see how the season played out before doing the new contract"? (AD's words, not mine)

Tech AD says negotiations are under way with Leach to sign the new contract. Leach's agent says no negotiations are under way. Someone is lying, LOL. The question is which one?

Tech AD & Leach have a Majent & any Horn fan relationship. They just don't get along.

Tech President Hance is the one that will be negotiating the contract.

Leach will not speak to Tech AD Gerald Meyers.

Back