Last Week of College Football...

horses

Brady licks Marino's knob
This is it; the end is near as championship wknd is here and the 1st bowl follows two weeks later. Should be a lot of fun and hopefully profitable for everybody...

So far one play...

USC -19' over UCLA (1.5 units) - missed the feeding trough that was the early line of 17 (or even 16 at BM I think) on this one as I was out most of yesterday and didn't have a chance to play till later. Part of this being a hobby and not a profession, but that's another conversation. I told myself I would play this anything under 21, so here it is; UCLA victory over a listless Oregon team held this line down. This will be a butt stomping as usual in the Colisseum.

GL.

Plays: (All my plays are usually 1 unit; the 1.5 unit play represents a larger than usual wager for me).

USC -19' over UCLA (1.5 units)
Oklahoma -3 over Missouri
VPI -4 (-115) over Boston College
Army/Navy Over 64 (1/2 unit)

Last edited:
love the play, bro. wish i could've gotten a better line, so i haven't played it yet.

but i did play the over already. think usc puts up 40-something, w/out a doubt...so that i had to nibble on.

Yanks, that total plummeted as well. I lean that way and have SC locked in at 20.

Horses, GL this week

Yanks, that total plummeted as well. I lean that way and have SC locked in at 20.

Horses, GL this week

yeah, SC is still at 20. but it opened at 48, right? the 1.5 pts is respect for the two defenses, no doubt...and the bruin lack of offense, i'm sure...but i'll get into it more soon. (olsen should be available, for one. but also, SC's gonna want to run it up and destroy UCLA...so it'll open up the entire game.)

yeah, SC is still at 20. but it opened at 48, right? the 1.5 pts is respect for the two defenses, no doubt...and the bruin lack of offense, i'm sure...but i'll get into it more soon. (olsen should be available, for one. but also, SC's gonna want to run it up and destroy UCLA...so it'll open up the entire game.)
Yup, the first boxcore I anlyzed tonight was the UCLA game. Talk about horrid. I think Olsen was 4-10. Already filed my notes away but anyhoo, it was ugly. Markey had like 30-98. Brutal offense on both sides.

Thanks for the words BAR, Yanks and Fondy, glad to hear you guys like the Trojans as well.

Olson doesn't scare me one bit; Cowan is the only UCLA QB that would give me pause about this bet but he is definitely out. Olson is a stiff and playing hurt to boot.

Thanks Pags11...hope you're doing well.

Aztec...thanks man; I glad you're on this as well.

Adding another play...

Oklahoma v Missouri (@ Alamodome) - The shitty thing here is that when Missouri loses to Oklahoma this weekend, they will get relegated to the Cotton Bowl while Kansas takes the at large BCS bid for the B12...someone explain that one to me please. I haven't faded Missou all year and I hate to do it here, but this looks like the spot...they played a great game LW, esp 1st half, and now have to come back a week later against a better team in the B12 Ch as the #1 team in the nation. Completely unchartered waters for this Missou squad. If I wasn't betting this game, I would pull for the Tigers. No matter.
Oklahoma -3 over Missouri (1 unit)

Last edited:
you're right that Cowan is the only QB that will be able to keep UCLA competitive with usc.

He's been cleared medically so I'm honestly expecting him to make the start. The offense has zero chance with Olson at QB, Dorrell can't be that stupid.

No official word yet. The depth chart is listed as Ben Olson OR Osaar Rashaan OR Pat Cowan.

Updated: sounds like Cowan will def start. Olson's knee is still bothering him and Dorrell commented on the importance of a mobile QB vs. sc. Carroll in a radio interview said he fully expects Cowan to be the starter.

Last edited:
Sportjunky, you are correct, I jumped the gun saying Cowan was out this wknd. Below is the latest article I could find on the subject.

UCLA quarterback Olson sits out practice
<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->By Brian Dohn, Staff Writer
<!--date-->Article Launched: 11/28/2007 12:00:00 AM PST

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> var requestedWidth = 0; </SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } </SCRIPT>
UCLA wanted to have its full contingent of quarterbacks go through a full practice for the first time since training camp, but that plan was pushed back a day when Ben Olson was pulled from team drills because of soreness in his left knee.
It meant Patrick Cowan, who took part in his first full practice since suffering a collapsed lung Nov. 3, took the reps with the first-team offense. Osaar Rasshan took the second-team reps.
"It was just sore," Olson said. "I'll be fine. They kind of held me out, shut me down."
Olson felt tightness during individual drills at the start of practice, so the coaching staff decided to keep him inactive for the rest of practice. He had his first game action since injuring his knee Oct.6 against Notre Dame when he started the second half of Saturday's win against Oregon.
"I knew (the soreness) was going to be the case given what he did this past weekend," Dorrell said. "We decided not to give him hardly any reps (Tuesday). He doesn't have any swelling. It's just sore."
With Olson not practicing, Cowan, for at least a day, moved into the starter's role. He moved well in the pocket and was able to scramble, although he did say he was "a little winded" because of the practice time he missed.
"He looked good," Dorrell said. "He did a nice job of orchestrating things, and making nice throws and moved around pretty good. He had no respiratory problems." Cowan, who was the starter when UCLA
beat USC 13-9 last season, said he was able to do some conditioning work while his lung healed, but he still felt the effects of taking most of the snaps in his first day back at practice.
"Pat was good," UCLA offensive coordinator Jay Norvell said. "He played with a sense of timing, tempo, which was really good. He's had a few weeks for his legs to heal up, and he's pretty fresh. I was encouraged by the way he practiced."
Dorrell added an announcement would be made later in the week regarding UCLA's starting quarterback.

Rasshan's mobility is supposed to be an asset at quarterback, but he said the game plan against Oregon was more pocket-oriented rather than using his ability to roll out.
"The game-planning was different vs. Oregon than the previous two weeks," Rasshan said. "I wanted to get outside of the pocket, but the coaches decided to stick more with the West Coast offense. I guess they wanted to get me more experience in that. So it was a little difficult to get going in the first half."
Rasshan was 0 for 7 with an interception before he was benched at the start the second half.

UCLA walk-on tailback Craig Sheppard, who is second on the depth chart because of the injuries at the position, did not practice.
"His groin is still pretty sore," Dorrell said. "We need to give him more rest. We'll see about him. We want to get him ready to play on Saturday."

Former UCLA cornerback Mike Durden, who earned four letters at UCLA, died Monday due to complications from diabetes at the age of 47.
Durden, who played at Helix High, the same school as Dorrell, was a senior on the 1983 team that defeated Michigan in the Rose Bowl and finished 10-1-1, and ranked No. 5 in the nation.
He is survived by his wife, Donna, his sons Eric and Parris; his daughters Lisa and Brandy, his mother (June) and father (Earnel), his brother Allan and a host of other relatives. Pocket plan Sheppard sits Durden passes

Last edited:
Thanks Sportsfanatic71...g/l to you as well.

Adding:

Virginia Polytechnic Institute -4 (-115) over Boston College (@ Jacksonville)
Big revenger here for the Gobblers; aside from missing LB Hall their initial matchup with BC, their offense is night and day from their first matchup as they are now playing dual QB's with an actual purpose. On the other side, Trimble and Dunbar are both beat up; BC has had a successful season and better than most thought. It ends here in a pretty big way.

Other thoughts...

Arizona @ Arizona St - reading a lot of people say that the Sun Devils have lost momentum and have nothing to play for if USC wins; nothing could be further from the truth...if ASU wins this game, they're going to the BCS regardless of what the Trojans do.

FAU @ Troy - Troy has been hammering teams but if I could get 17 with an underrated FAU team, I would likely play.

BYU @ SDSU - Fire makeup game here; note the spread is the same here as it was a few weeks ago when the game was postponed. I like BYU up to 17 here but won't fade my Aztecs since I haven't all year to this point.

Likely will leave it at these 3 plays for Saturday; also noticed some heavy wind forecast for the LA game; may hedge out on some as we get closer to game time.

G/L.

Last edited:
Thanks RJ; the way this day has started, I'm not sure that I should be adding. Va Tech looks dead in the water.

Back