Ladies and gentlemen, I give you . . .

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
The first Browns ML of the season.

(insert fanfare and applause here)

Yes, my friends, the time has come.

That time is to walk up to the window, remove a slab of green from your roll, and say to the cashier, "I'd like the Browns' moneyline, please."

At which point, just so you know, a manager may very well come over and shake your hand. Or, if it's a female cashier, she may subtly slip off her undergarments and hand you to them right there because you, my friend, are just that insightful.

Chicks dig that.

Breakdown the game you say?

Oh, well, all right. Since you asked nicely.

There's really only one thing that needs to be said for this game from the Cleveland side.

The Browns, under Romeo, are 1-11 against the division. They have not won a divisional game since 2005.

They have not beaten the Steelers under Romeo.

And that they've come close, that they even should have beaten them is nice, but it's not a 'W.'

"But, Joe," you say, "you're telling me they haven't beaten this team in over two years, why should I bet them now? You're not honestly playing the 'due' factor, are you?"

No, I'm not.

Here's the simple fact of this game. The Browns MUST win this game. Yes, I am telling you that the Cleveland Browns have a 'must win' game in Week One of the season.

It is a must win for Romeo, it is a must win for Charlie Frye, it is a must win for the city. If Romeo expects to keep his job and if he expects to prove that this year, year three, is where he pays his plan off, it all has to start on Sunday.

The Browns will not have a good season, their schedule is too difficult. They're not going to have a ton of wins this year. I know this, the fans know this, and the coaching staff won't admit it, but they know it too.

By Week Six or so Brady Quinn will likely be starting for this team.

But before they raise the flag, before the fans start booing and before the bottles start being thrown onto the field. Charlie Frye is going to do his dammedest to make a statement that he can start in this league, Jamal Lewis (who's run like a beast all preseason) is going to make a statement that his career is not over, and the Browns are going to come to play.

One thing you've never really been able to say under Romeo is that the Browns mailed it in. They won't this weekend.

This game has been circled on the calendar for a long time. Being 0-7 vs. Pittsburgh for the last few years isn't acceptable.

The Browns have a solid secondary. Yes, their D-line sucks, and the Steelers should be able to run on them, but that's all right, the Browns will be able to throw on the Steelers. And now, with the threat of some semblance of a running game (see: Lewis, Jamal; Thomas, Joe; etc.) the Steelers aren't simply going to be able to pin their ears back and go after Frye.

Frye's looked good in the preseason, the offense has been balanced and well-coached for a change, the Browns' WRs are healthy, Winslow seems healthy, they have the weapons. The first game of the year between these two is always closer than the second. Last year the Browns should have won in Cleveland.

This weekend they fix that.

Browns +4.5 (2 units)
Browns ML +200 (1.5 units)

Good luck, gents.

Woof.

that had to be one of the most inspiration piece of work ive seen on this board..hell you could of sold dirt to a dirt digger..very nice write up..this game was a no play for me,but im second guessng it now..i might ride with the brown tide

Good insight Joe.
By the way, if the female cashier at my local slipped me her underwear I'm sure I could use them for parasailing.

Thanks you two.

Yikes, Rider. My suggestion to you, send someone to collect your ticket and spend your time getting the rest of that bikini off the girl in your avatar.

=)

not a shot in hell

I know, part of me feels bad for the Steelers, too.

But you know what, they're the Steelers so f**k them. They're 7-0 with a SB win since the Browns last beat them. They can go suck an egg.

Well, first off, I was obviously wrong on this and I apologize if I talked anyone into losing money on this travesty with me.

Now, to the question.

I figure it's going to be four more weeks, if not six-ish.

There are a couple of reasons for this.

First, the Browns schedule sucks in the first part of the season. Well, it sucks the whole way through, but here's what happens next:

Cincy @ home
@ Oakland
Baltimore
@ NE
Miami

I suppose you could put him in against Cincy and try to get into a shootout.

The fans would love this.

Here's the problem with that. Yesterday the O-line was a turnstile, Pittsburgh had, I believe, six sacks. No way you put him back there for that, particularly when you'd be basically forcing yourself to keep him in there for the next two weeks which includes Baltimore and a (supposedly) solid Raiders secondary in the Black Hole.

Not a chance.

This is the franchise that believes one of the things that ruined Tim Couch was putting him in too soon. I don't think they'll take that chance here.

If the line was playing better, maybe, but I think they want to get comfortable with the line and establish some semblance of a running game, and get through defenses like Baltimore, New England, and Miami before putting him out there.

Were I them, I might consider putting him out there against the Dolphins, because it's at home and because I don't think Miami's going to be all that good.

But I have a feeling they won't do that. I think they'll target the bye week right after that game and have him start at St. Louis in Week 8, game number seven.

Wow, the browns are horrible!!

They are going to be hard pressed to win 3 games this year.

You appear to be a brown follower ( I can't say fan, in good faith) didn't this joke of a franchise trade what could very well end up being the first overall pick in the 2008 draft as well?

Just think, you could have gone and gotten yourself a perfectly fine Terrible Towel, instead of wasting your hard earned $$ on the Brown Steamers. :smiley_acbe::smiley_acbe:

Well, hopefully you have learned your lesson early enough, and won't be on the brown stuff again!!

BOL

Yeah, I'm not worried. I actually think the Browns are building a decent team for the future and aren't all that far off.

The big issues this year are, get the O-line sorted out. Make sure Brady is the guy, figure out if Jamal Lewis has two years left in him, and get the secondary on the same page.

Next year it will be, fix the D-line, draft depth on both sides of the line, look at drafting an RB.

Do that, keep serious injury away, and assuming Brady Quinn is an NFL QB, the Browns will be contending for the division in two years.

And I don't think they'll be the worst team in the league this year--although with their schedule it sadly wouldn't be shocking if they were.

You are right. They are definitely heading in the right direction. I would say they are in the upper echlon of crapbag teams at the moment. lol Good future ahead.

Hey Joe how did Joe Thomas do yesterday? Did he get beat at all?

Thomas got beat like a drum yesterday, not surprising for a rookie tackle. I do think he'll be a solid tackle. It will take about 6 games or so, to learn the speed, and the tactics he's up against. The announcers even said he needs to get stronger and learn to keep D ends off his chest, Smith was schooling him pretty good.

The problem with the browns, is they and their fans have been singing this song since they came back in the league. Now Romeo will be fired and they will start again from scratch, and set themselves back another five years.

No cohesiveness, or stabilty is the biggest problem with that franchise, and that is no where near being fixed.

This team is going nowhere fast. Contending in two years, c'mon, tell the truth Joe, how many years have you been kidding yourself with that BS. Admit it or not, been you and your Browns followers have been saying that for the last 5 years, and you're no closer now, than when you guys came back, arguably, the team is even further behind now than when they came back.

Admit it or not, been you and your Browns followers have been saying that for the last 5 years, and you're no closer now, than when you guys came back, arguably, the team is even further behind now than when they came back.

That is true if, and only if, Brady doesn't pan out.

Thomas (though he was beaten yesterday) and Steinbach should help solidify that line. Fraley will have to be replaced in a year or two, but the offensive line seems like it has the talent.

Winslow has the talent, Braylon has the talent, Joe J. has the talent. Even Cribbs, say what you want, but that guy's just as good as Randel El, and Randel El helped Pittburgh with it all.

The secondary is young, no question, but it has a ton of talent. D'Quell Jackson looks like he could be much better than average, Wimbley too.

That said, those guys all need to get games under their belt and get on the same page. And, yes, the D-line is dogs**t.

But it all comes back to Brady. If he's good, this team will make great strides and they'll do it pretty quickly.

If he's not, the Browns will be a three, four win team for years to come an, yes, they'll get those three or four wins for a coach other than the one they've got now.

Back