La Tech Observations

wiseplayer

Pretty much a regular
I only watched LA Tech in their last game and they often ran the play clock under 5 seconds. Very seldom did they go uptempo. Skip Holtz has been known to shut down his own offense. If I know him, he'll want to keep SMU off the field and use the running game vs SMU's atrocious run D. Every time I see a Dog vs a bad run D like SMU's, I tend to go ML and spread. Would love more input on this matchup. GL!

If La Tech can avoid giving up chunk plays they'll be in it til the end. Offensive firepower isn't close though, so the defense will have to hang in there. New coach and play caller (former QB Kinne) for SMU could make things interesting. They may just let it fly and have fun or they may have no idea what they're doing and hamstring themselves.

I too only watched a couple LT games, but did follow them in the box scores weekly.

The biggest liability in the game is going to be the SMU D. I don't think the coaching situations is as big of a deal compared to their issues on D. We know that SMU D isn't good, teams have their way with them by ground or air...although some of the Os SMU has played against are pretty good.

Some of the LT games have been close losses, but they also had misleading win vs Rice (won by 14 yet were outgained by Owls - tied 28-28 late LT took 7 pt lead with 1m left then got a pick-six to end game). Rice had their 3rd highest CUSA yardage output vs LT. They lost in OT to SM yet were outgained by 140y. SMiss had their 3rd highest yardage against LT. They lost by 1 to North Texas but were outgained by 100y. UTEP's inept offense drove to the LT 27, 20 and 15 on three of their first 4 drives of the game but came away with zero pts because they are ofcourse UTEP. Still UTEP's 410 yards were nearly double what the Miners had averaged in their other 11 games.

I just haven't seen much to like about LaTech this year. They have a good running game. Think their D isn't as good as it might appear at first glance. Their D looked great vs UTSA, but UTSA has no O (held to single digits in 3 of their final 4 games). I recall LT not being shy about going for it on 4th down often, so that is something. They also seem to have some FG kicking issues in pressure moments.

One thing they still do at LT that we are sure to see once or twice in short yardage tonight is that full-house backfield straight out of the 1980s. Lou ran it alot at ND and even at SC at times with 3 RBs in a row perpendicular behind the under-center QB. It always makes me kind of chuckle when they use it because nobody else does anymore. Just something Skip has kept from his father's days.

Seems a coin flip game to me, if anything can make the LT offense look capable, it's the SMU defense. So many moving parts in this thing with the SMU coaching, I took the 4 and the ML...picked them to win in pool. Tempted to hop on that team total for a little as well, if SMU does just chuck it around and score early/often there's a real possibility they give it up just as fast as well imo.

Back