LA Laker Season Long/Kobe Leave Thread

I just can't see him finishing this season as a Laker.
I see where you're coming from but if the Lakers front office trade him why would any fan want to come to watch a game? Jeremy Lin, Carlos Boozer? They'll have nobody. Keeping him will at least bring fans to the stadium. It's a tough spot and will probably come down to how much bitching Kobe does and how much he wants to leave.

I just can't see him finishing this season as a Laker.

There's almost no chance he gets traded. His contract almost makes him un-tradeable, and he's said time and again that he has no interest in finishing his career anywhere but in LA, as a Laker.

You can never say something won't happen with 100% certainty, but I just don't see it happening.

he aint jeter...

Who said he was? He's just a loyal dude who doesn't have any interest in being traded. Of course that could change, but he's not going to accept a trade to the Knicks (which some guys have mentioned)...how would that put him in any better spot than he's in now? Yes, the Knicks play in the East, and are seemingly better than the Lakers, but he's not winning a title with the Knicks. If someone like Dallas makes a play for him, he may change his mind and agree to the trade, but it just doesn't seem likely...and just like cogenman mentioned, the Lakers aren't going to trade him and see no one show up to their games for the rest of the season.

You're right though, he's not Jeter's....his legacy is probably better than Jeter. He's won the same number of rings as Jeter, and is a legitimate all-time great in his sport. He is similar to Jeter in one way though it would seem....they both held on too long and didn't retire when they should have.

From a practical standpoint, what would it even accomplish? The Lakers are going to have tonnes of cap space next season, so trading him for expiring contracts accomplishes nothing, and it's not like you're going to get anyone of comparable value in a 1-1 type deal. Plus when they signed him to that ridiculous extension last season, pretty much everyone knew it was less about basketball and more about ticket sales and a quasi "lifetime achievement" kind of thing.

the only way they trade him is if Kobe request it, he has a no trade clause...Even if he ask for it, there are very few teams who would be capable of doing this.

My guess is they get Rondo somehow, maybe getting him for their top 5 pick that they are almost surely going to get.

The Love rumors are interesting

Back