Knicks vs. Trail Blazers Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Knicks vs. Trail Blazers: NBA Picks and Predictions

New York Knicks vs. Portland Trail Blazers
Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 10 p.m. ET at Moda Center in Portland, Oregon

Portland’s Injuries

Portland is in the beginning stages of trying to adjust to life without two starters.

Shooting guard CJ McCollum and center Josef Nurkic are both out indefinitely: the former with a foot injury, the latter with a wrist injury.

McCollum’s absence creates a dent in Portland’s offensive impetus because he formed one half of the team’s deadly guard duo with Damian Lillard.

This guard duo is crucial for the Trail Blazer’ scoring output especially given the large drop-off in productivity. McCollum was averaging 26.7 points per game for the Trail Blazers. He and Lillard are the only players on the team who are averaging more than 12.2 points per game.

Nurkic’s importance is more balanced, so his absence will be felt on both ends of the court.

He had established himself in recent years as someone who can contribute between 10 and 20 points per game.

His absence also creates regression in the defense since backup Enes Kanter is not as effective in this department. Based on yearly defensive rating comparison, Nurkic is the defender that Portland would rather have positioned in front of the basket.

Besides individual quality, losing two high-minute guys hurts the Trail Blazers’ depth.

This lack of depth manifested itself in the fourth quarter of Portland’s last game, which came against San Antonio and which was its first game without both McCollum and Nurkic.

Despite ranking in the bottom half in points per game, the Spurs closed with 38 points.

Portland’s Pick-and-Roll Defense

Stylistically, Portland is known for playing drop coverage against a ball-screen.

One downside to drop coverage is that it will concede a jump shot.

This downside is crucial tonight because the Knicks are built to exploit it with their proclivity to locate spot-up shooting opportunities.

While Portland is fifth-worst — as measured by opposing PPP — in defending the spot-up, New York attempts the sixth-highest frequency of spot-up attempts.

Especially tonight, it is a big deal for New York that shooting guard Alec Burks is healthy because, as measured by PPP, he is a player who relishes spot-up opportunities.

Burks is New York’s third-leading scorer. He is still confident in his shot despite the long absence. With two games behind him in which he played his normal amount of minutes, he is fit and without rust.

Having this third important scorer back is decisive because, while Portland is missing some of their top sources of offense, the Knicks are able to threaten offensively even with guys beyond the central duo of Julius Randle and RJ Barrett.

Randle and Barrett

Randle fits well in New York’s offense because he’s complementing his characteristic individual productivity as a scorer with creativity.

In his career, Randle is accruing 2.9 assists per game. But this year, he averages 6.2 assists per game.

He is getting other players more involved in the offense. For example, he loves passing to Barrett.

Before Randle ignited his uptick in assists, Barrett often stood around while Randle performed the labor of attracting multiple defenders.

But now he can find Barrett in order to set him up in front of the basket. If Barrett or someone else is open while attempting to cut towards the basket, Randle can help create that space in the first place by pulling his counterpart at power forward away from the basket. Then, Randle will find his man.

Randle attracts multiple defenders given his post-up ability and his multi-dimensionality. He, too, will establish himself as a dangerous spot-up shooter like when he sets a screen and faces the type of coverage that Portland will show tonight. Randle is even a decently efficient three-point shooter.

Barrett, like another efficient pick-and-roll guy Immanuel Quickley, is notorious for his driving ability. Both help explain why New York is so active — as measured by its shot profile — in front of the basket where the Trail Blazers will position their depleted front court.

Portland Offense vs. New York Defense

The Trail Blazers love to run the pick-and-roll for a ball-handler.

But based on opposing PPP, the Knicks have one of the NBA’s strongest ball-screen defenses.

They are well-tested in this respect. They have faced most of the few teams that rank ahead of Portland in terms of wanting to run this play type.

Against such ball-screen-heavy teams, the Knicks are 3-0 SU and 3-0 ATS with three upset wins. They won as two-point underdogs vs. Orlando, as eight-point underdogs against Utah, and as seven-point underdogs at Atlanta.

The Verdict

Portland’s defense already carried a negative reputation. But now it also lacks depth.

Offensively, New York’s offense will be propelled as usual by leading scorers Barrett and Randle, but can also rely on Burks.

The Knicks’ expanse of weapons on offense plus their solid ball-screen defense will help them outscore the injury-afflicted Trail Blazers.

Best Bet: Knicks +3.5 at -108 with Heriage

Knicks vs. Trail Blazers: NBA Picks and Predictions

New York Knicks vs. Portland Trail Blazers
Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 10 p.m. ET at Moda Center in Portland, Oregon

Portland’s Injuries

Portland is in the beginning stages of trying to adjust to life without two starters.

Shooting guard CJ McCollum and center Josef Nurkic are both out indefinitely: the former with a foot injury, the latter with a wrist injury.

McCollum’s absence creates a dent in Portland’s offensive impetus because he formed one half of the team’s deadly guard duo with Damian Lillard.

This guard duo is crucial for the Trail Blazer’ scoring output especially given the large drop-off in productivity. McCollum was averaging 26.7 points per game for the Trail Blazers. He and Lillard are the only players on the team who are averaging more than 12.2 points per game.

Nurkic’s importance is more balanced, so his absence will be felt on both ends of the court.

He had established himself in recent years as someone who can contribute between 10 and 20 points per game.

His absence also creates regression in the defense since backup Enes Kanter is not as effective in this department. Based on yearly defensive rating comparison, Nurkic is the defender that Portland would rather have positioned in front of the basket.

Besides individual quality, losing two high-minute guys hurts the Trail Blazers’ depth.

This lack of depth manifested itself in the fourth quarter of Portland’s last game, which came against San Antonio and which was its first game without both McCollum and Nurkic.

Despite ranking in the bottom half in points per game, the Spurs closed with 38 points.

Portland’s Pick-and-Roll Defense

Stylistically, Portland is known for playing drop coverage against a ball-screen.

One downside to drop coverage is that it will concede a jump shot.

This downside is crucial tonight because the Knicks are built to exploit it with their proclivity to locate spot-up shooting opportunities.

While Portland is fifth-worst — as measured by opposing PPP — in defending the spot-up, New York attempts the sixth-highest frequency of spot-up attempts.

Especially tonight, it is a big deal for New York that shooting guard Alec Burks is healthy because, as measured by PPP, he is a player who relishes spot-up opportunities.

Burks is New York’s third-leading scorer. He is still confident in his shot despite the long absence. With two games behind him in which he played his normal amount of minutes, he is fit and without rust.

Having this third important scorer back is decisive because, while Portland is missing some of their top sources of offense, the Knicks are able to threaten offensively even with guys beyond the central duo of Julius Randle and RJ Barrett.

Randle and Barrett

Randle fits well in New York’s offense because he’s complementing his characteristic individual productivity as a scorer with creativity.

In his career, Randle is accruing 2.9 assists per game. But this year, he averages 6.2 assists per game.

He is getting other players more involved in the offense. For example, he loves passing to Barrett.

Before Randle ignited his uptick in assists, Barrett often stood around while Randle performed the labor of attracting multiple defenders.

But now he can find Barrett in order to set him up in front of the basket. If Barrett or someone else is open while attempting to cut towards the basket, Randle can help create that space in the first place by pulling his counterpart at power forward away from the basket. Then, Randle will find his man.

Randle attracts multiple defenders given his post-up ability and his multi-dimensionality. He, too, will establish himself as a dangerous spot-up shooter like when he sets a screen and faces the type of coverage that Portland will show tonight. Randle is even a decently efficient three-point shooter.

Barrett, like another efficient pick-and-roll guy Immanuel Quickley, is notorious for his driving ability. Both help explain why New York is so active — as measured by its shot profile — in front of the basket where the Trail Blazers will position their depleted front court.

Portland Offense vs. New York Defense

The Trail Blazers love to run the pick-and-roll for a ball-handler.

But based on opposing PPP, the Knicks have one of the NBA’s strongest ball-screen defenses.

They are well-tested in this respect. They have faced most of the few teams that rank ahead of Portland in terms of wanting to run this play type.

Against such ball-screen-heavy teams, the Knicks are 3-0 SU and 3-0 ATS with three upset wins. They won as two-point underdogs vs. Orlando, as eight-point underdogs against Utah, and as seven-point underdogs at Atlanta.

The Verdict

Portland’s defense already carried a negative reputation. But now it also lacks depth.

Offensively, New York’s offense will be propelled as usual by leading scorers Barrett and Randle, but can also rely on Burks.

The Knicks’ expanse of weapons on offense plus their solid ball-screen defense will help them outscore the injury-afflicted Trail Blazers.

Best Bet: Knicks +3.5 at -108 with Heriage
Already posted my play on Knicks and ml in the rest of jan thread. Love the spot for them. Make dame work hard for his 30-40 and be patient on offense and the Knicks will get any shot they want on Portland. Burks is still working out the rust but is still a threat and another solid piece off the bench to give quality minutes and rest to the starters. Don’t overlook bullock either. Much better d with him back starting and gives them another shooter. RJ and Randle usually get theirs it’s when the supporting cast, Payton, Mitch, bullock, Burks, etc show up they play well. Unless dame goes for 60, or Melo has 30 I expect the Knicks get this one coming in off a tough loss

I’m jumping on your guys’ wagon too, but I do have a misgiving, because after all this is the Knicks we’re talking about. At the end of the Kings game I got the impression that the fatigue was causing them more problems mentally than physically. Their offensive discipline seemed to break down and they weren’t playing together as effectively. Since they are the Knicks, I have a fear that they could conceivably revert back to that style of play for a while. That said, I am going to bet that the coach will get them properly regrouped for tonight.

I’m jumping on your guys’ wagon too, but I do have a misgiving, because after all this is the Knicks we’re talking about. At the end of the Kings game I got the impression that the fatigue was causing them more problems mentally than physically. Their offensive discipline seemed to break down and they weren’t playing together as effectively. Since they are the Knicks, I have a fear that they could conceivably revert back to that style of play for a while. That said, I am going to bet that the coach will get them properly regrouped for tonight.
The kings game was kind of a mixed bag. They got off to a slow start, legs looked tired early and they fell behind but clawed their way back from being down 8 or 9 early to the lead by the end of the 1st and held a 5 pt lead at half. They came out sluggish from half and fell behind by dd early to mid 4th before their d and Randle and RJ brought them within 2 with around 430 left. They had a couple chances to tie or take the lead but couldn’t do it, sac made a couple key buckets/FTs to seal it. All in all, the Knicks didn’t have their A game, Randle and RJ were good, Mitch was solid, but Burks, Payton, bullock (don’t think he scored), and the bench all well below par and they could have won. I’m banking the bench is better tonight and trusting the d can make it hard enough on lillard to go nuts and that ports other guys can’t beat them.

Fuck :(

Yeah @Big daddy naught you can't predict that sort of shit. Just wacky variance. I can't imagine a slow-tempo team like the Knicks being comfortable playing from behind...maybe like UVA basketball?

honestly this team has fought back from dd a bunch this yr so it’s possible, but they are seriously lucky to only be down 16. If they can cut it to 12 or less by half I’ll be encouraged bc port has been lights out

So much for those last 3 min. Blazers keep banging 3s and up 20. All I can do is laugh rn. I hope someone breaks something in the locker room during halftime bc this is embarrassing

I can only imagine how much easier this would have been without Portland going off like it did from behind the arc. But this was a lot more fun! Good times, Naught and Pip.

Back