Knicks/Hawks & Clippers/Mavericks Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
NBA Parlay Picks of the Day

New York Knicks vs. Atlanta Hawks
Friday, May 28, 2021 at 7 p.m. ET (ESPN) at State Farm Arena in Atlanta

5:06 Left To Go

With 5:06 left to go in the fourth quarter of Game 2, the score was 91-91.

In this period of 5:06 and throughout the game, Hawk offensive players enjoyed sundry scoring opportunities that they failed to take advantage of.

They are able to achieve open three-point shots. But, relative to their regular season average, they are underachieving in their conversion rate.

Through two playoff games, the Hawks are converting 21.2 percent of their open three-point attempts.

This poor conversion rate is especially deleterious to Atlanta’s scoring output because the Hawks are attempting a lot of open three-pointers.

But as the Knick defense continues to concede these open three-point attempts, the Hawks are bound to take advantage especially at home because, during the regular season, they converted open three-point attempts at a 15.2 percent higher rate.

One of the biggest underachievers is Bogdan Bogdanovic.

In those last five minutes, he missed three three-pointers. Through two playoff games, he is shooting 6-of-22 from behind the arc with most of those misses coming in Game 2.

Normally, Bogdanovic is a superb three-point shooter, especially at home. During the regular season, he converted 46.6 percent of his three-point attempts in Atlanta.

So I expect him above all to make up in Game 3 for what he failed to do in Game 2.

Danilo Gallinari is also valuable because he’s likewise a high-volume shooter. He’s converting 18.3 percent of his three-point attempts in these playoffs, although he shot 40.6 percent from deep during the regular season.

Bogdanovic and Gallinari are important when Young draws defenders to himself and locates potential shooters to exploit the attention that he draws for himself.

Pick-and-Roll

When Trae Young wants to score, he loves to do so via the pick-and-roll.

He also creates for others by tossing lobs when the defense devotes too much attention to preventing him from scoring.

The Knick defense has not found a way to stop the Hawk ball-screen game.

In the pick-and-roll for the ball-handler plays, Atlanta ranks third in PPP (points per possession) among playoff teams so far.

Stopping Julius Randle

Whereas the Knicks are struggling to stop Trae Young from being both a prolific scorer and distributor, Atlanta has an answer for Julius Randle.

Randle is crucial for the Knick offense. In the regular season, he led the team by scoring 6.5 more points per game than any other Knick player. He also led the team in assists.

The problem with Randle is that he loves to score posting-up or via isolation.

During the regular season, he ranked sixth in the NBA in frequency of isolation plays and 25th in frequency of post-up plays.

Against Atlanta, he is being guarded man-to-man on the perimeter and being clouded by multiple defenders when he tries to penetrate inside.

Hawk defenders are not allowing him to post-up and are not allowing him near the basket.

While Randle’s scoring is limited, he isn’t be able to be a difference-maker like Young.

Young is a much more productive distributor. In the regular season, he ranked second in assists per game.

Atlanta will cover the spread by getting more out of its star player and by amassing more support from teammates.

Los Angeles Clippers vs. Dallas Mavericks
Friday, May 28, 2021 at 9:30 p.m. ET (ESPN) at American Airlines Center in Dallas

Believing In Paul George

While the Clippers have elicited a lot of doubt and even derision after losing Games 1 and 2 at home, they are not out of it.

They only need to do to Dallas what Dallas did to them: win multiple road games.

The Clippers would have won Game 2 with a stronger performance from Paul George. As a primary shot-taker in the Clipper offense, he is crucial to the team’s success

George has the reputation of performing poorly in the playoffs. Because of this reputation, doubters call him “Playoff P.”

But the statistics do not justify this reputation. Of course, his numbers will look worse in the playoffs because, in the playoffs, one doesn’t get to play bottom-feeders. One plays the best teams.

However, his career playoff numbers are only a bit worse than his career regular season ones. HIs field goal percentage, for example, drops by 1.4.

Why George Can Bounce Back

In Game 2, George converted one of seven of his three-point attempts.

This represents a massive underachievement relative to his regular season three-point conversion rate of 41.1 percent.

He should continue to be a high-volume shooter, as always.

Even on the road, he gets a great opportunity to bounce back against a Maverick perimeter defense that is consistently porous.

In the regular season, Dallas ranked 20th in running opponents off the three-point line and 18th in limiting opposing three-point attempts.

They gave up the second-most open three-point attempts in the regular season. During the playoffs, they are giving up the fourth-most wide open three-point attempts per game.

L.A. simply needs to take advantage of opportunities that it has been exploiting throughout the season as one of the best three-point shooting teams by makes per game.

George is one big part of the Clippers' three-point shooting prowess.

Value

Dallas has one of the worst defenses in the NBA. In the regular season, the Mavs ranked ninth-worst in defensive rating

While the Clippers can’t stop Luka Doncic, the Mavs can’t stop Kawhi Leonard, who accrued 41 points in Game 2.

But with Paul George, L.A. arguably has the third-best player on the court.

Dallas needs to rely on a large supporting cast to overcome the Kawhi-PG scoring combo.

But the Mavs have been overachieving considerably from beyond the arc relative to their regular season average.

With the spread as short as it is, this is a great and uniquely reasonable spot to back the Clippers.

Best Bet: Parlay Hawks -4 at -110 & Clippers -2 at -110 at +264 odds with Bookmaker

Add brooklyn to mix... i know its almost impossible for 3 favs in nba to cover but tonight could be that night...... we will see if kawhi n co have some fire left in the belly

Just dont think they have the offense..... i don’t expect Atl to shoot /miss as much as they did at end of game...... the first 2 games showed me Atl is the better team.. knicks need “help” to win the game whether its Nate being a bonehead with his rotations or atl being sloppy end of
Game

Paul George has a beautiful flow to his outside shot, it’s super accurate, and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen his outside shot blocked. It seems like he only misses when he hurries the shot by some absurdly small amount of time, like a millionth of a second. But since he gets blocked from outside rarely or never, he really needs to resist the urge to rush his shot by any amount at all. For game 3 he’s gotten himself into a bit of a vicious circle. He goes out there tonight and throws up 2 or 3 3-point shots. If they go in, fine, he’s back in business. If they don’t go in, Dallas puts up some points after the misses, and now the Clippers find themselves yet again trying to dig themselves out of a hole. And worse, now Paul George has to question whether or not he wants to risk throwing ANOTHER 2 or 3 3-pointers up at the basket, potentially digging an even deeper hole...So, is his slump just a statistical blip/anomaly, or is it because he’s gotten to the point where he’s concerned about missing so much that it is causing him to rush his shots by a microsecond?

Just dont think they have the offense..... i don’t expect Atl to shoot /miss as much as they did at end of game...... the first 2 games showed me Atl is the better team.. knicks need “help” to win the game whether its Nate being a bonehead with his rotations or atl being sloppy end of
Game
Knicks just need Julius to be Julius. With Payton starting you had two non threats to score on the floor in Payton and Noel, leaving ATL free to send 2 and 3 at Randle, especially when bullock and to a lesser extent Barrett weren’t knocking down shots. Inserting rose opens the floor. Gives Julius room to operate and he played a better 2h. The shots he’s missing are shots he’s hit all year so I think he turns it around

End of day even if julius is julius they just dont have the offense and i dont expect D rose to be doing that night after night still issues for NY when Rose is on bench

Long way to go but tough to win when you’re 2 best players can’t make a shot. I wish I could credit ATL d but I can’t, Julius and RJ missing everything that’s been routine for them all year. Great looks just can’t buy one and I don’t like him but we can’t keep Trey out of the paint. Beauty is you gotta win or lose 4 games. Long series

Knicks cant sustain enough offense to win 4 games just not enough consistency .. Trae is just controlling the game and knicks really have no answer for him ... can easily be a 5 game series

Knicks cant sustain enough offense to win 4 games just not enough consistency .. Trae is just controlling the game and knicks really have no answer for him ... can easily be a 5 game series
Not shocked ATL looks good bc I know they are tough but very shocked how bad we’ve looked. Just looks lost out there other than Rose. Hopefully they can find it before it’s too late

Was like a game yrs ago spurs/clips n i remember Pop in a TO told his team to withstand the flurry its a 12rd fight they were getting crushed early clips couldnt miss ... and sure enough spurs came back .. felt like mavs went for KO punch in 1st qtr n clips just held there ground ...

Was like a game yrs ago spurs/clips n i remember Pop in a TO told his team to withstand the flurry its a 12rd fight they were getting crushed early clips couldnt miss ... and sure enough spurs came back .. felt like mavs went for KO punch in 1st qtr n clips just held there ground ...
Yeah I knew Dallas was in trouble when they were up like 15 out the gate but clippers got within like 2 or 4 to close the quarter and it basically became pg/Kawhi vs Luka. Dallas could really use a game from KP

Back