Kitna leaves the Lions, goes to Dallas

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
No s**t? No s**t.

Jon Kitna goes to Dallas for CB Anthony Henry.

How 'bout them apples? Oh, and welcome to Motown, Matt Stafford.

Kitna was as good as gone for the longest time. I don't think this has any effect on whether or not they take Stafford.

UPDATED AT 3:45 p.m.
The Detroit Lions have confirmed the report that first appeared in the National Football Post that the team has traded veteran quarterback Jon Kitna to the Dallas Cowboys. The report said the compensation is "late picks'' but the Lions wouldn't confirm what draft choices were dealt. It's also possible that a player could be involved in the deal.

The Lions have had Kitna on the trading block dating back to last season when he was sidelined with a back injury. The Lions were expected to cut Kitna on March 3 because he had a roster bonus of $1 million.

I don't know, they could have made the argument that with Kitna and Culpepper to battle it out for the starter they had enough at the positon. Few would have believed them, but they could have lied to themselves.

Not now. They need a QB of the future, bad and they've got the first pick in the draft with a chance to get a guy who should be a franchise QB.

Report: Lions tried to trade for Denver's Jay Cutler

by Tom Kowalski Saturday February 28, 2009, 3:39 PM

UPDATED AT 3:55 p.m.
In a day that is getting crazier by the minute, the Detroit Lions reportedly tried to trade for Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler. That's interesting enough but what gives the story a real charge is that the Lions were using Matt Cassel as trade bait.

The New England Patriots traded Cassel to the Kansas City Chiefs today, but there were reports at the time that there was a "mystery team'' trying to get involved at the last minute. Then Adam Schefter of NFL.com reported that the Lions and Broncos were involved in trade talks and the Lions were apparently hoping to acquire Cassel and then ship him to Denver in exchange for Cutler.
Lions spokesman Bill Keenist said the team would have no comment.
However, there is yet another interesting twist to this -- beyond the fact that former Patriots assistant Josh McDaniels might've gotten his hands on Cassel when the Patriots might not have wanted that. If Schefter is right about this scenario, it means that the Lions probably aren't that high on Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford -- and that the Lions weren't that high on Cassel, either.

The Lions were expected to cut Kitna on March 3 because he had a roster bonus of $1 million.

Speaking of which, where the hell is my roster bonus of $1 million? Um, BAR, I'm looking at you.

From PFT/Sporting News, more on that non-deal:

Adam Schefter of NFL Network and Vic Lombardi of CBS4 in Denver report that the Broncos have been shopping quarterback Jay Cutler.

Per both reports, the Bucs and Broncos were trying to swing a three-way deal pursuant to which Matt Cassel would have been traded from the Pats to the Broncos, Cutler would have gone from Denver to Tampa, and the Patriots would have been compensated presumably by the Buccaneers.

According to Schefter, the Lions also approached the Broncos about a trade for Cutler.

And here's where it gets interesting. Schefter's version creates the impression that the Broncos didn't initiate the talks, and merely responded to the offers presented. Vic Lombardi's version suggests that the Broncos were and are shopping the eleventh overall pick in the 2006 draft.

"I've heard the rumors," Cutler told Vic Lombardi. "I know what they're trying to do. Even though I love Denver and I'd love to remain a Bronco, I know how this business works. If they want me to play somewhere else, so be it."

Despite Cutler's generally P.C. comments, Schefter contends that Cutler was angered by the news.

There's a consensus in league circles that Cutler has plateaued after showing some improvement early in the 2008 season. He has been criticized in some circles for having a nonchalant demeanor.

The reality is that, whenever there's a new coach, there's a chance that he'll want to pick his own quarterback. Regardless of whether the Broncos initiated the trade talks, the fact that the Broncos said anything other than "hell no" suggests that new coach Josh McDaniels wants to go in a different direction.

i just posted the same thing in the cassel thread JP. That is just crazy to me. I can understand that McDaniels would want his own quarterback but wow

wow

stafford didn't impress me big time at georgia but they say he has the tools

if the lions had got cutler, that would be huge (i can't believe denver even listened to an offer)...i think he is going to be a top 5 quarterback in the league next year or the year after...he has all the talents, his ability to make plays on the run is crazy...maybe he doesn't have that winner attitude but i think he was born to play quarterback

The thing that impresses me about Stafford, or that I would at least feel good about if I were looking at drafting him is that he has a long resume of starts in college. At least you have a lot to look at.

It was the same deal with Brady Quinn. You can't really be too surprised by what you get. Whereas with someone like Sanchez if he totally busts you fall back on how much speculation you had to put into the pick in the first place.

wow fuck... cutler would have been fucking unbelievable, along with our two first rounders and not having to waste the #1 on stafford. fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

im actually sick to my stomach this didn't happen, could have done wonders for the lions franchise... im really upset right now

I think Stafford will do well in Detroit.

he played behind a makeshift Oline this entire year and still put up decent numbers. He can play behind a bad Oline. His arm strength allows the Lions to stretch the field with Johnson.

It would be a mistake to take Stafford #1 overall. He is not that good folks and will be a bust if taken with the first pick. detroit would be better suited to trade for the likes of a Brady Quinn than draft Stafford.
As for Cassel a product of the NE system and he will not do as well in KC.

They said Cutler has possibly peaked and has a nonchalant demeanor which the Broncos do not like. Not sure how to read that...don't think I agree with that.

Back