Kiffen to Auburn

he just tweeted a response in contrast, but couple folks I still pull from in Oxford said it’s basically done … obviously they could be wrong until it’s final

He sure does jump around a lot.

However why leave Ole Piss for Auburn? What am I missing here?
Overall you have to think Auburn is the better program- it is not a lateral move- this year is an obvious exception, with Kiffen as Ole Miss’ coach-
Granted he will have his hands full trying to unfuck Harsin’s handiwork (one of the worst hires in recent memory)-
Also, deep pockets will pay stupid salaries- Auburn likely has the upper hand here as well-
The problem with Auburn is their boosters-(as probably is true at most programs)- Tuberville wasn’t good enough for them, Gus wasn’t good enough for them- who will be?

Last edited:
Short term: how will this affect Thursday's game? I was just about to play the under.

They can't let him coach the game, can they?

It's a game I can't run fast enough from. The Kiffen situation plus that idiot Leach equals the definition of uncertainty. I'lll watch for entertainment, and with these 2 teams that's always a distinct possibility.

Last edited:
Give me some comparisons from other conferences. I don't know why Auburn is better. And if it is about money, can't Ole Miss or those who support Ole Miss offer him more to keep him?

Auburn is not the top school/team in the league, they aren't the second...where do they rank in desirability?

Like, help me here, maybe I'm making a fool of myself, but is this like going from Michigan State to Penn State? Or leaving Wake Forest for North Carolina football head coach?

I read some of the posts in the SEC thread, I don't know what makes Auburn better? Kiffin if he were to stay at Ole Miss could make Ole Miss whatever he wants, create his own legacy and build something every bit as good as he could do at Auburn...no?

Give me some comparisons from other conferences. I don't know why Auburn is better. And if it is about money, can't Ole Miss or those who support Ole Miss offer him more to keep him?

Auburn is not the top school/team in the league, they aren't the second...where do they rank in desirability?

Like, help me here, maybe I'm making a fool of myself, but is this like going from Michigan State to Penn State? Or leaving Wake Forest for North Carolina football head coach?

I read some of the posts in the SEC thread, I don't know what makes Auburn better? Kiffin if he were to stay at Ole Miss could make Ole Miss whatever he wants, create his own legacy and build something every bit as good as he could do at Auburn...no?

Kiffin said during and interview back in May, that going forward, how much NIL money a school had would be a big determining factor for coaches changing jobs going forward . Read where Auburn has built up 13 million. Not sure where that stands in comparison to Ole Miss or the rest of the nation. Auburn has also just built a 92 million dollar “football performance center”. If he doesn’t get free reign I think he would be an idiot to take the job. Who the hell knows if there’s any truth to him taking the job.

Now a huge Auburn fan

Was waiting for that one SEC team to get over the hump....this did it.

Jordan-Hare seats 87,000.

Vaught-Hemingway seats 64.000.

Contract length in use of each state's money is a key factor. Can't get a Ling term contract in MS. Not the AU ever abides by the terms. They just buy them out.

Contract length in use of each state's money is a key factor. Can't get a Ling term contract in MS. Not the AU ever abides by the terms. They just buy them out.
Eh. It's never been a problem for any other coach. There are some easy workarounds there. For example, the contract can say "If you are employed as of X Date, then the contract is automatically extended to the maximum extent permitted by state law." You can stretch a 4 year contract pretty easily with favorable terms.

@Grovehard … what you got ? You normally have a better bit of info than I can get
I think the local reporter got his information directly from Cohen. They have a relationship from Cohen's time at State, and the reporter was the first to break the Cohen to Auburn news. My guess is that this is Cohen's thumb in the eye of Ole Miss. He steals their coach and puts them in a tough situation before the Egg Bowl. It's noteworthy to me that Kiffin didn't deny the report. He's being cute by saying stuff like "the job hasn't been offered." Well, yeah Lane. No offer gets officially extended until it's known that it will be accepted. It's like a marriage proposal.

Now if you want an alternative, conspiracy minded angle: Cohen doesn't want to hire Kiffin so he leaks this and forces Kiffin's hand while giving Ole Miss time to hammer out a contract that Kiffin won't decline.

I'm going with Option A.

I think the local reporter got his information directly from Cohen. They have a relationship from Cohen's time at State, and the reporter was the first to break the Cohen to Auburn news. My guess is that this is Cohen's thumb in the eye of Ole Miss. He steals their coach and puts them in a tough situation before the Egg Bowl. It's noteworthy to me that Kiffin didn't deny the report. He's being cute by saying stuff like "the job hasn't been offered." Well, yeah Lane. No offer gets officially extended until it's known that it will be accepted. It's like a marriage proposal.

Now if you want an alternative, conspiracy minded angle: Cohen doesn't want to hire Kiffin so he leaks this and forces Kiffin's hand while giving Ole Miss time to hammer out a contract that Kiffin won't decline.

I'm going with Option A.
Think we all NEED Lane v Saban in one of the most historic rivalries in the sport every year

Kiffin said during and interview back in May, that going forward, how much NIL money a school had would be a big determining factor for coaches changing jobs going forward . Read where Auburn has built up 13 million. Not sure where that stands in comparison to Ole Miss or the rest of the nation. Auburn has also just built a 92 million dollar “football performance center”. If he doesn’t get free reign I think he would be an idiot to take the job. Who the hell knows if there’s any truth to him taking the job.
Where are people getting these numbers from? This feels like something that got posted on a message board and is now just accepted as fact. From Al.com:

"There’s also a belief that his ability to succeed in the transfer portal, combined with Auburn’s On To Victory’s Name, Image, and Likeness collective goal of having at least $7 million specifically for football, could lead the Tigers’ back to relevance quicker than expected."

"Goal of having at least $7 million"? Ole Miss has more than $7 million reserved for football today. It's not a goal. It's cash on hand. As for the football only practice facility, Ole Miss had one when Eli Manning was the QB. With the expansion and renovation, it will be among the best in the conference.

If Kiffin leaves, and I think he is, then he obviously thinks Auburn is the better job. I would just prefer that we have an honest conversation about why it's actually better instead of the shit that's been out there since Kiffin started laying the ground work for his exit with Chris Low.

Edited: By the way, no ill will for you @captjohn67. If it came off that way, apologies.

Last edited:
I thought that Lane would never take the AU job because he covers the Alabama job when Saban leaves. However, there is no way we are hiring Kiffin while Saban and some of our big boosters are still alive. If you ask 10 fans from the SEC, most would agree that AU is a better job without thinking about it, but I think the gap is a lot narrower than most realize. We all know AU is a pretty volatile place when it comes to their football program. Having your 2 biggest rivals being the 2 best programs in the country is tough sledding. And it only takes 1 poor season for them to forget the great one before it. All coaches have egos, but it would have to be pretty big to think you are the one who is different. There’s nowhere to go from here except down given recent history. Unless you want to be a US Senator. That trail has been blazed

Eh. It's never been a problem for any other coach. There are some easy workarounds there. For example, the contract can say "If you are employed as of X Date, then the contract is automatically extended to the maximum extent permitted by state law." You can stretch a 4 year contract pretty easily with favorable terms.
I could personally care less what he does. But, I don't consider 4-yrs to be a long term deal. If he is offered 6-10 years, even at less money/year, he'd have to consider it.

That, and I'm sure Jimmy Sexton will make as much as humanly possible for his client.

Where are people getting these numbers from? This feels like something that got posted on a message board and is now just accepted as fact. From Al.com:

"There’s also a belief that his ability to succeed in the transfer portal, combined with Auburn’s On To Victory’s Name, Image, and Likeness collective goal of having at least $7 million specifically for football, could lead the Tigers’ back to relevance quicker than expected."

"Goal of having at least $7 million"? Ole Miss has more than $7 million reserved for football today. It's not a goal. It's cash on hand. As for the football only practice facility, Ole Miss had one when Eli Manning was the QB. With the expansion and renovation, it will be among the best in the conference.

If Kiffin leaves, and I think he is, then he obviously thinks Auburn is the better job. I would just prefer that we have an honest conversation about why it's actually better instead of the shit that's been out there since Kiffin started laying the ground work for his exit with Chris Low.

Edited: By the way, no ill will for you @captjohn67. If it came off that way, apologies.

NIL: Auburn football's deals are double the national average - Sports Illustrated Auburn Tigers News, Analysis and More

It sounds as if they started a little slowly as compared to others? My guess is the deep pockets were waiting till Harsin was shown the door? Or maybe they just didn’t have their shit together? Who knows. I’m guessing all the powers in the SEC now have the money to throw at the kids. It’s obviously a necessity since the rules of the game have changed. Not a fan of it and I’m still on record thinking Kiffin will regret it if he does take the job. No apologies necessary at all. It’s all good. Have a great Thanksgiving, it’s my fav time of the year. Cheers

NIL: Auburn football's deals are double the national average - Sports Illustrated Auburn Tigers News, Analysis and More

It sounds as if they started a little slowly as compared to others? My guess is the deep pockets were waiting till Harsin was shown the door? Or maybe they just didn’t have their shit together? Who knows. I’m guessing all the powers in the SEC now have the money to throw at the kids. It’s obviously a necessity since the rules of the game have changed. Not a fan of it and I’m still on record thinking Kiffin will regret it if he does take the job. No apologies necessary at all. It’s all good. Have a great Thanksgiving, it’s my fav time of the year. Cheers
I’m 90% sure he’s gone btw. I think he will resign on Friday but there’s some thought that Auburn doesn’t want to overshadow Cadillac’s last game. Could be Sunday.

I think it was definitely boosters holding back until Harsin was gone. Was a bad hire, especially if they weren’t going to give him what he needed to succeed.

Freeze is the better coach imo. Though he kinda flies in the face of the persona AU likes to portray. In the end, they’re like everyone else and will hire dirtbags like Hugh Freeze and Bruce Pearl and try to stay on some kind of moral high horse, but everyone sees through it

Overall you have to think Auburn is the better program- it is not a lateral move- this year is an obvious exception, with Kiffen as Ole Miss’ coach-
Granted he will have his hands full trying to unfuck Harsin’s handiwork (one of the worst hires in recent memory)-
Also, deep pockets will pay stupid salaries- Auburn likely has the upper hand here as well-
The problem with Auburn is their boosters-(as probably is true at most programs)- Tuberville wasn’t good enough for them, Gus wasn’t good enough for them- who will be?

Kiffen has complained a lot bout lack of fan support and nil money at ol piss, he won’t have those problems at auburn. This nowhere close to a lateral move. I hear a faction the auburn boosters are super religious which always gonna be a pain in the ass dealing w those special kind of morons, while half the boosters don’t care bout anything but results, probably not easy pleasing all of them.

Freeze is the better coach imo. Though he kinda flies in the face of the persona AU likes to portray. In the end, they’re like everyone else and will hire dirtbags like Hugh Freeze and Bruce Pearl and try to stay on some kind of moral high horse, but everyone sees through it

The religious. Booster faction prob not signing off on freeze. Not like he that much better, I have no doubt Kiffen would win plenty at auburn, if you can win at ol piss you most def can win at Aub,

The religious. Booster faction prob not signing off on freeze. Not like he that much better, I have no doubt Kiffen would win plenty at auburn, if you can win at ol piss you most def can win at Aub,

I was told the boosters that matter signed off on Freeze a while back. I guess that was before they started their infatuation with Kiffin

That’s why Hugh is the perfect fit for Auburn.

Hugh Freeze is probably exactly who the religious booster faction wants.

I was told the boosters that matter signed off on Freeze a while back. I guess that was before they started their infatuation with Kiffin

Hearing now that the boosters are split on who to hire if Lane doesn’t work out. If Kiffin stays, my money would be on Jeff Grimes

Last thing from me before I go enjoy/suffer through the Egg Bowl - I think Kiffin will be named Auburn’s next head coach by Monday. He’s had multiple opportunities to say that he’s staying and to sign his extension and hasn’t. Freeze feels like a diversion. It’s Kiffin.

In my experience, "religious" people like this usually only seem to care about morals as they pertain to the actions of other people. Not so much, if it's their own behavior or those in their inner circle.

media "Kiffin to Auburn is over" ... didn't they create the whole story anyway?

they hype the story, get the run out of it, then tell us it's over as if it actually existed at all?

And knowing Kiffin he probably told Sexton he wanted to stay at Ole Miss in order to pile on Sokoloff for the rest of the weekend. That would be right out of Kiffin's playbook.

Back