Kentucky, UCONN, S. Florida, all out of the final rankings................

gridironguy

Pretty much a regular
When I tried to tell people this in October, there was a lot of disagreement. These were three good teams, but not nearly as good as their early records indicated.

Last edited:
I took quite a bit of flack back in early October when I called out Kentucky and South Fla, so I had to make mention of the fact that they did not even finish in the Top 25 final poll

agreed with your assessment then and it did end up being the truth. nice to see you posting again, btw.

usf was the only one that i thought had a legit chance of making a run of those three. uconn was a fraud and while kentucky had a nice little team they were not going to storm through the SEC.

uconn will be back next year.. this season was a success no matter what you say, and they are young and hungry.

I took quite a bit of flack back in early October when I called out Kentucky and South Fla, so I had to make mention of the fact that they did not even finish in the Top 25 final poll

Kentucky a fraud ???? Really. Beat LSU, Lost to Tenn on a fluke play, Had a ton of injuries, and still finished 8-5 playing in the SEC. I dont know who your favorite team is, but let them play UK's schedule with the injuries they had and holla back at me.. I hope your Avatar is not your favorite team, talk about a fraud, The Chargers havent won dick.

I remember his post like it was yesterday.

South Florida did fall and fall hard after that.
Kentucky was never and I mean never expecting to tip toe through their schedule. They did have a real shot at the conference title midway through November......thats a first for Kentucky......in my lifetime at least.
UCONN had a stellar year as well for them.

So yeah you picked on three teams that were overachieving and said it wouldnt continue but as a whole all three teams had VERY successful seasons.

Hey, it's nice to be right once in a while. I was just looking for a little love in what was a pretty tough season, betting-wise. Besides, I took a lot of flack from people when I made the statements about these three teams!

I never said Kentucky was a fraud, Catsfan. And just for the record, my fav school is USC because that's where I did my undergrad. I think we have done a little more than you in college football, bud ;-)

The thing is, all of these teams jumped out to 5-0 starts and that's when I called each of them out as pretenders, not real contenders. I did not say they were not good, I just said they were overachieving.

Not many people, in fact a very low percentage of people, could have predicted South Florida's fall. People were saying when they were 5-0 that there was no way they would finish worse than 11-1 or 10-2. Sure enough, they finished 9-4 and got pounded by Oregon in the bowl.

so you said they were pretenders, then they went on to beat Louisville, Rutgers, and South Florida....

You made this post to make yourself sound smart, which is very arrogant and dickheaded in my opinion,and you preceeded to let yourself sound niave and one-sided

so you said they were pretenders, then they went on to beat Louisville, Rutgers, and South Florida....

Good wins, all of them. I think Edsall is a very good coach, and I respect what they're doing up there in UCONN.

The point I was trying to make with my original post back in early October, was that these 3 teams were good, but not quite as good as their records looked at the time.

I'm the first person to admit i'm wrong when i'm wrong, and that of course happens many times! i just happened to get this one right way back when, and just wanted to remind the people who gave me flack, that these teams were good, but certainly not great this season.

kentucky mite be back next year, you mite never see another undefeated SEC team again

I disagree.

It may be 8-10 years but Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn, and LSU all have the potential to run the table. SEC scheduling is something most don't understand.

For instance, LSU can only compete for the BCS title every other year.
The schedule just happens to set up that way. We had to play BAMA on the road this year but got Florida, Auburn, and South Carolina on the road. If we wanted to have a shot this was our year. It didnt hurt that we dont pick up Georgia until next year. So while we were able to play the entire season and not face Georgia they get to play us next year when they hope to make a title run.

However, I just realized that they play us here this year and following year(our normally good schedule year) we get to go to Athens in an early season deciding type matchup.

Then again we open that season up with App. St. so we could be one and done. :36_11_6:

Damn, I thought they didn't have these kinds of threads at CTG, only at Covers.

You didn't just say UConn was a pretender---you essentially said that those of us who were backing them against Rutgers were fools, and didn't have the experience watching college football the past 11 years like you did.

Then you disappeared from the site after saying you just didn't have it this year.

Now you are back saying I told you so, wagging your finger at us UConn backers that made a killing this year?

Doesn't sit right man...

You didn't just say UConn was a pretender---you essentially said that those of us who were backing them against Rutgers were fools, and didn't have the experience watching college football the past 11 years like you did.

Now you are back saying I told you so, wagging your finger at us UConn backers that made a killing this year?

Actually, the week of the Rutgers game I said that I was convinced they were a little better than I gave them credit for, and the play in my mind was UCONN or no play.

And I'm not wagging my finger at anybody man, I'm just telling the people that gave me flack about my opinions on UCONN, SFLA, and Kentucky, were wrong. Please do not confuse my reminder to those people that they were wrong to jump on me when I stated my opinion, with finger wagging. I don't think it's the same thing, and I think the great moderators here at CTG see the difference which is why they didn't bust this thread.

I'm saying that all three teams were good, but not nearly as good as some people were saying they were when they were all undefeated. As for those who made a killing betting on UCONN, I do credit you and envy you. I wish I would've jumped on their ATS train this season.

I edited my first post because this is not intended to be an I told you so type of thread. It was just a prediction I got right in what was a crazy crazy year so I was just posting to the few who argued with me, thats all it is

Back