Keeping an eye on the Wisconsin situation...Game Cancelled

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
So, we are still awaiting the Mertz swab test.

Apparently another QB has tested positive...

We know Coan is out...

So it Mertz and Chase Wolf both get confirmed tests...that leaves them at a 4th string QB...

What is the rule again? I believe a school needs 1QB minimum to be able to play. If that guy gets it, we're looking at wiping out 3 games for them(so 1 game for 3 other schools as well). Obviously, a lot to happen still but just doing some thinking ..

(Please keep thread clean. We knew the ridiculous 21 day rule coming in).

I saw the Mertz stuff this afternoon, very unfortunate for them... My thing is this though, BAR, I honestly don't know, but, if it came down to that situation, couldn't they just designate a WR or somebody that played QB in high school as the QB? Or it has to be official from the actual depth chart or what?

I saw the Mertz stuff this afternoon, very unfortunate for them... My thing is this though, BAR, I honestly don't know, but, if it came down to that situation, couldn't they just designate a WR or somebody that played QB in high school as the QB? Or it has to be official from the actual depth chart or what?

I just read online that RB Groshek was a dual-threat QB in high school. Maybe they'd try some wildcat with him and give him a RB/QB designation? I have no clue what the QB position on that team even looks like behind the three guys out. Surely they must have a freshman walk-on or something behind the fourth string kid?

I just read online that RB Groshek was a dual-threat QB in high school. Maybe they'd try some wildcat with him and give him a RB/QB designation? I have no clue what the QB position on that team even looks like behind the three guys out. Surely they must have a freshman walk-on or something behind the fourth string kid?
I was coming to post that (think I saw it in that article above).

As far as a walk-on... technicalities could come into play? I dunno.

The Big Ten is testing every day correct?

So false positives will be caught assuming players/coaches who tested positive are tested every day still? OR does the 21 day rule kick in upon the first positive test result and they don't keep testing them?

Mertz tested positive again ....

Officially in the 21 day protocol.

Curious as to what day they use as the 1st day.

Mertz tested positive again ....

Officially in the 21 day protocol.

Curious as to what day they use as the 1st day.

I read it's the day of the first positive. Going to suck if this game isn't played. I really liked our chances, even against Mertz. Have some +13.5 I bet a month ago and then got some +10.5 as the news hit.

I read it's the day of the first positive. Going to suck if this game isn't played. I really liked our chances, even against Mertz. Have some +13.5 I bet a month ago and then got some +10.5 as the news hit.
Yeah, it's the first day. He'll be eligible to play (but not practice) for Mich week.

Hopefully they do some extra testing 'somewhere' to stay within protocol and get this game played... Just moreso to get a precedent set.

So, we are still awaiting the Mertz swab test.

Apparently another QB has tested positive...

We know Coan is out...

So it Mertz and Chase Wolf both get confirmed tests...that leaves them at a 4th string QB...

What is the rule again? I believe a school needs 1QB minimum to be able to play.
Every team's got a dozen or more guys who played QB in high school. How do they figure whether a team has a "QB"?

Just to be clear, Wisconsin did not have to cancel. Thus, they should forfeit. Now they're trying to change the rules and get Mertz to play in ten days. Just watch.
I want to "like" this comment about 50 times.

I'm leery of putting this here but it merits discussion in case something were to change ...

1. Of course the 21 day rule doesn’t make sense, everyone knew that from the jump. How can you say you’re “following science” when nothing uses 21 days as a barometer?

2. Since they were initially pussies and then decided not to be pussies, someone needs to remind them of this. You can’t pretend to not be pussies while simultaneously being bigger pussies than any of the other pussies out there.

3. Twinkie posted this 5 posts up.

1. Of course the 21 day rule doesn’t make sense, everyone knew that from the jump. How can you say you’re “following science” when nothing uses 21 days as a barometer?

2. Since they were initially pussies and then decided not to be pussies, someone needs to remind them of this. You can’t pretend to not be pussies while simultaneously being bigger pussies than any of the other pussies out there.

3. Twinkie posted this 5 posts up.
Holy shit on #3 LOLOL.

I know what happened....I had a quote notification so it skipped right over Twinks post.

Sorry Twink.

Just to be clear, Wisconsin did not have to cancel. Thus, they should forfeit. Now they're trying to change the rules and get Mertz to play in ten days. Just watch.
Why did they not have to cancel?

Were the thresholds not met?

I was under the impression that they hit the 5%/7.5% "red-red" that institutes an auto 7 day pause.

I thought it was crazy Wisconsin was listed 4th after one game and then this happened. At best OSU or Michigan can earn a playoff berth with a dominant 7-0 record. Anything short of that will be asterisk city. And for the record I had adopted OSU as my hopeful champion but im afraid the decion makers in the Big Ten will screw the whole conference despite the face saving attempt to get a half ass season in this year. It’s a damn shame what the Big Ten did with the complete cluster frick handling of this season. OSU Deserves a fair shot at the playoffs IMO. I will say the Pac 3.5 at least helped make the Big 10 look halfway competent. They deserve no shot at the playoffs. This shit show has only just begun.

Let's see the big ten shit all over this

Wow, that is crazy they could schedule a game so quickly, but I hope they can pull it off.

Regarding the 21 day rule, which we all think is total BS, I did hear it explained in a way that made more sense. The player is only "out" or has to isolate away from football for 14 days. The other 7 days is a reacclimation period for conditioning so the player isn't 'forced' into action immediately after a 14 day quarantine. I can get that, I can get why the Big Ten power brokers would want to put that in writing so they can show everyone how much they care and doing what looks good in the face of potential criticism from people that they they shouldn't be playing. So 14 days no football, returns to football for 7 days then can play in a game.

That article doesn't have detail about the Big Ten not allowing it. I'd like to read on that.

Lets say Wisconsin misses the next two games and wins their last 5 to go 6-0

Lets say Purdue (example) goes 7-1 overall.

Who represents in the conference championship game?

To BARS post above...... That’s what this hairbrained late entry by the leadership has caused by waiting in the most likely highest probability of a lull period. I’m afraid the positives will only mount for all teams the deeper we get into fall/winter. This will be a shit show no matter how you view it. Like I said, my gut tells me Ohio State deserves and will earn a playoff birth if they can avoid a big outbreak in season. It will be a travesty if OSU only manages 5 or 6 games. Maybe I’m bringing too much of last year into this but I believe as of today OSU has the best shot of any team to best Clemson in the playoffs. Bama is clearlybcapable but the defense must gell very quickly. I’m sure with the bye they will decimate LSU (which means what this year? Ouch). If Georgia can improve maybe the SEC championship game will give Bama a boost into the playoffs and they are a legit threat to all. Gonna be interesting. Sorry for the hijack. GEAUX MICHIGAN.

They got more cares today...does that make them red-red?

It doesn't matter but just curious.

Can Purdue and Mich schedule a game since Wisky might keep taking weeks off?

They got more cares today...does that make them red-red?

It doesn't matter but just curious.

Can Purdue and Mich schedule a game since Wisky might keep taking weeks off?

Maybe they pulled the plug when they did with the expectation that numbers were likely going to go higher today and tomorrow. If they have to suspend football Thursday or Friday for 7 days instead of Wednesday then as a team they run the risk of losing two games to one outbreak. Even returning to practice Wednesday of next week, if they can, they going to practice just 3 days for a game? Guess they could.

Back