• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Just over 31 years ago.... (Reno Lions Thread)...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
On January 5th, 1992 the Detroit Lions hosted the Dallas Cowboys at The Pontiac Silverdome.

The Lions came in off a bye after recording a 12-4 regular season and a NFC Central title. This was a rematch of the Week # 9 game, at the same venue, that Detroit won 34-10.

The Lions would win this playoff game before a raucous crowd 38-6 and advance to the NFC Championship game. They came out with a passing attack, as the Cowboys decided that Barry was not going to beat them. Erik Kramer and his receivers moved the ball at will, and Barry broke one late to cap things off.

Times were good. I was in middle school, and I think we all thought this was the start of a run in professional football.

We were wrong. The opponent we had outscored 72-16 in two games in the 1991 season went on to start their own dynasty the year after.

Since that point, the Lions have lost EVERY playoff game they have played in. The fact is, there haven't been many.

We would host a game, the next year in the WC round only to lose on a 46 yard bomb Favre to Sharpe. That was also the last division title. Since then, there has simply been failure in the playoffs, for the few times we've made it.

There was the 1995 WC game at The Vet. That Lions team won 7 straight to end the year. That offense was record-breaking. The Halftime score was 38-7.

Then, there was the 1997 WC game in Tampa. This was the week after Barry crossed 2000 yards. The Lions managed 10 points.

Barry retired and that next decade plus felt like an lifetime.

We would make the playoffs the year Sanders retired, but that was short-lived as we never were in the game at Washington.

The Matt Millen era soon commenced and it wasn't until the Stafford and Calvin alliance took form that the Lions returned to the postseason. You may remember that shootout at the Superdome that was humbling as can be.

The 2014 Lions team was the best of my lifetime since 1991. That defense was so good. Suh was a monster. The offense was really solid too and had playmakers. That of course ends in some controversy in Dallas on the picked up flag in the 2h of a game the Lions were leading and driving at the time.

One last Stafford playoff appearance in 2016, but that Lions team was average at best. The Seahawks smoked them and that was the end of an era.

As we talk now, the Lions have not won a playoff game in 31 years and 9 days. They have had two of the most talented skill position players retire at the top of their game on them. One of the most faithful fanbases has been constantly crushed.

Enter a new era in Lions football.

Today, is certainly FITTING.

The Lions return to the playoffs.

The host their first game EVER at Ford Field.

They host their first game in THIRTY years in the playoffs.

Who do they face? Their BEST QB in modern franchise history.

Matt Fratty Stafford had to leave Detroit to reach the pinnacle.

Two years ago, he divided an entire town during the Ram's run to a championship. You were either ALL IN on 'Detroit Rams' or you absolutely hated the fact he was winning "without us".

Tonight, he is the villain. Our leader just so happens to be the QB who Stafford was traded for.

COULD YOU ASK FOR A BETTER STORY??

NOPE.

Now, why did I give this history of basically 95% of my time as a Lions fan? Well, we can cap this game to death, crunch the numbers and find edges. We've been doing that all week. The one part of this cap I want to look at is tonight's HFA....

I expect you will see one of the most raucous crowds in recent memory. In fact, I expect that the Ford Field crowd will set decibel records tomorrow night. That venue has been a huge HFA advantage the last two seasons and in this WC game, I expect something we have never seen before. This crowd is likely worth an extra 1.5-2.0 points on the line tomorrow night. That is personal opinion, but I think we see it play out that way.

Now, does that mean I think we will win? No. I have said before the match was official and all week, I expect one heckuva game. I see this being a 4th quarter game decided by one possession. I've indicated I like the over, a TT in some fashion and also have some prop leans.

Have a pulled the trigger on totals yet? No, I do lean over. But, those with an under angle I would like to hear your reasoning (cough @KJ ). I do favor Rams TT's, but the vig right now on TT's is stupid. I do still think the 1H at 10.5 receives a look from myself.

What else do I lean?

Monty over 54.5 yards rushing.

ASB prop.

Over 6 TD's total.

I really do think this game is 31-27/35-31 potentially.

Do I have a fear? Yes. That is these teams come out and feel each other out. The Dallas and Detroit game that never could start getting flow sticks in my head.

I will say, with regards to LaPorta, I expect him to play. He had a brace on at practice Friday. I watched some clips, and he seemed to be cutting fine with the brace. I just hope he can keep them honest. He's so good.

What is going to be fun here? These coaches both love to be aggressive. Do we see a defining moment for either one? Is that moment good or bad?

I really hope that this game lives up to the potential. I hope this crowd will's the Lions to victory. I hope Ben Johnson calls the game of his life. He has that in him.

This is going to be fun. The Lions need to make "winning plays" as Hunt would say. The deficiencies in the secondary can be masked by making a few critical plays.

I will have plays tomorrow; I want to hear a bit more on people's take though.

My prediction, as of 2:20 am is Lions win this one late 34-28.

This literally brought chills to my spine. My season tickets were purchased with three of my friends the year we graduated school. It was the Bobby Ross Era at the Pontiac Silverdome. We were young. Every Sunday home game I would get up at 7am. Each of us would bring the same thing every week. BBQ/BRATS OR BURGERS/THE PIG SKIN/BEER. We all had a job and took it rather seriously. My lions 8-8 our first year at the Silverdome, no place for unsupervised teens I'll tell you that much. Literally heaven. We had high hopes that year with a 6-2 start but finished with a four game L streak. The playoff game in Washington was as Reno described. Little did we know that was the only playoff game we would even have in the almost decade of being season ticket holders. Stephen Davis and the Washington run game obliterated us. From kickoff we were never even contenders. After firing of the blubbering idiot and an interim, Marty Mornhinweg Era, the Mucc, Interim, and the imfamous Rod Marinelli 0-16 we called it quits. 1 season over 500 in my time between the silverdome and Ford field and it wast even enough to make the playoffs that year. You could say I have been scorned since then. The Thanksgiving day game always reminded me of my dad getting hammered and taking me to the game so I rarely ever missed for 25 years. Hell I gave up watching football completely for a while. The Stafford Era brought me back. He was and is IMO the best qb we ever had. True slinger that just had his body destroyed here. Hit after hit dude is tough as nails and not a piece of shit human. I fell in love with the rams in the greatest show on turf days of bruce/holt/faulk and their slinger. I followed them more closely after drafting Goff. It was that year I purchased my first black camouflage Rams hoodie that I have been sporting all week and for two years prior to the qb swap. This game is going to be emotional for alot of players and fans. One we have never seen in my lifetime at least. The Honolulu Blue and Silver will make life hell for the opposition. Stafford left modern day ford field as a leader of our team. The qb whose talents were not utilized to the fullest. A fucking great guy.

He returns the ENEMY.
Like a fucking crazy ex girlfriend who you broke up with on a Friday, banged two of her friends on Saturday then got back together with her the following week and you are on a plane with her heading somewhere tropical for 2 weeks when here 2 friends let her know your up and down game in their ham wallet was a mistake and they were sorry.

My point is, Stafford won a SB. This is most definitely a box to check on his list. I think the Rams easily put up 30 plus on us today with our defense who at times looked fraudulent this year. Facts are facts. This game could get to 70 points. Stafford could throw for 340 and 4 tds and still lose. All we know in the motor city is that today in the single digits outside, one of the best football games of our lifetime will be played tonight.
BOL to all on your action.
Prediction 38-37 The Nellys

Good Luck Fella! You lost me at you think LaPorta plays though. If he actually steps on field Im gonna shit. My prognostications have been atrocious for all of 2024. I came to tail. And I’m gonna. I want to enjoy some of this crazy fun yall having in the NE.
Gibbs to the Crib! Win dis Bitch!
Rams been thriving on bottom feeders.

This literally brought chills to my spine. My season tickets were purchased with three of my friends the year we graduated school. It was the Bobby Ross Era at the Pontiac Silverdome. We were young. Every Sunday home game I would get up at 7am. Each of us would bring the same thing every week. BBQ/BRATS OR BURGERS/THE PIG SKIN/BEER. We all had a job and took it rather seriously. My lions 8-8 our first year at the Silverdome, no place for unsupervised teens I'll tell you that much. Literally heaven. We had high hopes that year with a 6-2 start but finished with a four game L streak. The playoff game in Washington was as Reno described. Little did we know that was the only playoff game we would even have in the almost decade of being season ticket holders. Stephen Davis and the Washington run game obliterated us. From kickoff we were never even contenders. After firing of the blubbering idiot and an interim, Marty Mornhinweg Era, the Mucc, Interim, and the imfamous Rod Marinelli 0-16 we called it quits. 1 season over 500 in my time between the silverdome and Ford field and it wast even enough to make the playoffs that year. You could say I have been scorned since then. The Thanksgiving day game always reminded me of my dad getting hammered and taking me to the game so I rarely ever missed for 25 years. Hell I gave up watching football completely for a while. The Stafford Era brought me back. He was and is IMO the best qb we ever had. True slinger that just had his body destroyed here. Hit after hit dude is tough as nails and not a piece of shit human. I fell in love with the rams in the greatest show on turf days of bruce/holt/faulk and their slinger. I followed them more closely after drafting Goff. It was that year I purchased my first black camouflage Rams hoodie that I have been sporting all week and for two years prior to the qb swap. This game is going to be emotional for alot of players and fans. One we have never seen in my lifetime at least. The Honolulu Blue and Silver will make life hell for the opposition. Stafford left modern day ford field as a leader of our team. The qb whose talents were not utilized to the fullest. A fucking great guy.

He returns the ENEMY.
Like a fucking crazy ex girlfriend who you broke up with on a Friday, banged two of her friends on Saturday then got back together with her the following week and you are on a plane with her heading somewhere tropical for 2 weeks when here 2 friends let her know your up and down game in their ham wallet was a mistake and they were sorry.

My point is, Stafford won a SB. This is most definitely a box to check on his list. I think the Rams easily put up 30 plus on us today with our defense who at times looked fraudulent this year. Facts are facts. This game could get to 70 points. Stafford could throw for 340 and 4 tds and still lose. All we know in the motor city is that today in the single digits outside, one of the best football games of our lifetime will be played tonight.

This is beautiful.

We're the same era obviously. My first year of college was that 8-8 season with Mr Charlie Batch and Gus Frerotte.

I was at the Rams game (4th and 27 Frerotte to Morton conversion) when we beat the greatest show on turf in their first season.

I was in a car screaming at the radio the next week in Arizona when Bobby went for 2.

I was at the last win of the rest, vs those Redskins, when Desmond returned a punt for a TD. We left the Dome that day thinking there was 'life after Barry'.

That was it though. The demise started after that early December game...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Some snow issues today, so not as much time in the thread as I wished for.

Smaller:

Monty 55.5 over 30 cents

Over 6 total TDs even.

Medium:

1h over 26 10 cents

Medium to Big:

ASB over 7.5 catches 25 cents.

Less Laporta today. More security blanket with ASB. That's 2.5 units for now. The number is 1 catch higher than usual for a reason. I expect 9-11 total.

Pondering overs and stalking all game.

Rams TTs still in the discussion. These vigs though...ugh...

On January 5th, 1992 the Detroit Lions hosted the Dallas Cowboys at The Pontiac Silverdome.

The Lions came in off a bye after recording a 12-4 regular season and a NFC Central title. This was a rematch of the Week # 9 game, at the same venue, that Detroit won 34-10.

The Lions would win this playoff game before a raucous crowd 38-6 and advance to the NFC Championship game. They came out with a passing attack, as the Cowboys decided that Barry was not going to beat them. Erik Kramer and his receivers moved the ball at will, and Barry broke one late to cap things off.

Times were good. I was in middle school, and I think we all thought this was the start of a run in professional football.

We were wrong. The opponent we had outscored 72-16 in two games in the 1991 season went on to start their own dynasty the year after.

Since that point, the Lions have lost EVERY playoff game they have played in. The fact is, there haven't been many.

We would host a game, the next year in the WC round only to lose on a 46 yard bomb Favre to Sharpe. That was also the last division title. Since then, there has simply been failure in the playoffs, for the few times we've made it.

There was the 1995 WC game at The Vet. That Lions team won 7 straight to end the year. That offense was record-breaking. The Halftime score was 38-7.

Then, there was the 1997 WC game in Tampa. This was the week after Barry crossed 2000 yards. The Lions managed 10 points.

Barry retired and that next decade plus felt like an lifetime.

We would make the playoffs the year Sanders retired, but that was short-lived as we never were in the game at Washington.

The Matt Millen era soon commenced and it wasn't until the Stafford and Calvin alliance took form that the Lions returned to the postseason. You may remember that shootout at the Superdome that was humbling as can be.

The 2014 Lions team was the best of my lifetime since 1991. That defense was so good. Suh was a monster. The offense was really solid too and had playmakers. That of course ends in some controversy in Dallas on the picked up flag in the 2h of a game the Lions were leading and driving at the time.

One last Stafford playoff appearance in 2016, but that Lions team was average at best. The Seahawks smoked them and that was the end of an era.

As we talk now, the Lions have not won a playoff game in 31 years and 9 days. They have had two of the most talented skill position players retire at the top of their game on them. One of the most faithful fanbases has been constantly crushed.

Enter a new era in Lions football.

Today, is certainly FITTING.

The Lions return to the playoffs.

The host their first game EVER at Ford Field.

They host their first game in THIRTY years in the playoffs.

Who do they face? Their BEST QB in modern franchise history.

Matt Fratty Stafford had to leave Detroit to reach the pinnacle.

Two years ago, he divided an entire town during the Ram's run to a championship. You were either ALL IN on 'Detroit Rams' or you absolutely hated the fact he was winning "without us".

Tonight, he is the villain. Our leader just so happens to be the QB who Stafford was traded for.

COULD YOU ASK FOR A BETTER STORY??

NOPE.

Now, why did I give this history of basically 95% of my time as a Lions fan? Well, we can cap this game to death, crunch the numbers and find edges. We've been doing that all week. The one part of this cap I want to look at is tonight's HFA....

I expect you will see one of the most raucous crowds in recent memory. In fact, I expect that the Ford Field crowd will set decibel records tomorrow night. That venue has been a huge HFA advantage the last two seasons and in this WC game, I expect something we have never seen before. This crowd is likely worth an extra 1.5-2.0 points on the line tomorrow night. That is personal opinion, but I think we see it play out that way.

Now, does that mean I think we will win? No. I have said before the match was official and all week, I expect one heckuva game. I see this being a 4th quarter game decided by one possession. I've indicated I like the over, a TT in some fashion and also have some prop leans.

Have a pulled the trigger on totals yet? No, I do lean over. But, those with an under angle I would like to hear your reasoning (cough @KJ ). I do favor Rams TT's, but the vig right now on TT's is stupid. I do still think the 1H at 10.5 receives a look from myself.

What else do I lean?

Monty over 54.5 yards rushing.

ASB prop.

Over 6 TD's total.

I really do think this game is 31-27/35-31 potentially.

Do I have a fear? Yes. That is these teams come out and feel each other out. The Dallas and Detroit game that never could start getting flow sticks in my head.

I will say, with regards to LaPorta, I expect him to play. He had a brace on at practice Friday. I watched some clips, and he seemed to be cutting fine with the brace. I just hope he can keep them honest. He's so good.

What is going to be fun here? These coaches both love to be aggressive. Do we see a defining moment for either one? Is that moment good or bad?

I really hope that this game lives up to the potential. I hope this crowd will's the Lions to victory. I hope Ben Johnson calls the game of his life. He has that in him.

This is going to be fun. The Lions need to make "winning plays" as Hunt would say. The deficiencies in the secondary can be masked by making a few critical plays.

I will have plays tomorrow; I want to hear a bit more on people's take though.

My prediction, as of 2:20 am is Lions win this one late 34-28.

This is great. Thanks Reno.

He returns the ENEMY.

You better be rooting for the lions today. We've been through hell and back. It's time.

You better be rooting for the lions today. We've been through hell and back. It's time.
I teased the rams half a dozen times from 9.5 to 14.5 . Most of my plays are on the rams TT. You want it. Show me that shit Lions. My home office has more lions memorabilia than I care to say. I think it's our time but the rams most certainly will get theirs. If coop is 90% or better the home crowd is in trouble. Timing between them is like breathing. Add the rookie records and KW. Fuck this squad could go all the way according to my furmtures. ....BOL hunt

I teased the rams half a dozen times from 9.5 to 14.5 . Most of my plays are on the rams TT. You want it. Show me that shit Lions. My home office has more lions memorabilia than I care to say. I think it's our time but the rams most certainly will get theirs. If coop is 90% or better the home crowd is in trouble. Timing between them is like breathing. Add the rookie records and KW. Fuck this squad could go all the way according to my furmtures. ....BOL hunt

Scary team for sure.

Just saw this. First off I don't like under but I simply was looking at a scenario where both teams not only have capable, but really good running personnel and I could see the situation where both head coaches try everything in their power to play keep away from the other, especially if one of the teams gets up by double digits early on.

No chance in hell I'm playing that though, leaning on both Lions RB totals in some fashion. Probably rushing yards for both.

A win is a win. But let's be honest. Rams lost this game themselves with their play choices in the red zone. Kyren was not utilized the way he should have. Stafford was dropping dimes and I'm 100% positive he was concussed on that hit which in my opinion wasn't necessary if you look at the timing. Me thinks we see a much higher scoring game next weekend but the complete opposite. Slow start. Barn burner finish. But Josh props will 100% be on my radar. LaPorta was used but to what extent? I can only imagine what he was on to play with that brace. They made it look good with all the motion. Had me fooled for the first couple drives that he should have been out there.

A win is a win. But let's be honest. Rams lost this game themselves with their play choices in the red zone. Kyren was not utilized the way he should have. Stafford was dropping dimes and I'm 100% positive he was concussed on that hit which in my opinion wasn't necessary if you look at the timing. Me thinks we see a much higher scoring game next weekend but the complete opposite. Slow start. Barn burner finish. But Josh props will 100% be on my radar. LaPorta was used but to what extent? I can only imagine what he was on to play with that brace. They made it look good with all the motion. Had me fooled for the first couple drives that he should have been out there.

Incredible 1h.

Rams defense was awful .

Lions was as well. Lions made "winning" plays in the RZ. Very Michigan Esque.

One horrific call against the Lions before half nearly turned the momentum fully the other way.

And, later, that could have been interference on DET. I was so hesitant to take the penalty the play before due to that.

That FG gets made from 55 and everyone wins their overs because Detroit comes back down and scores.

Back