Jonesing for the New Season--CFN's Top 30 Non-Conf Games for 2007

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
A lot of great matchups. Sept 1, 8, and 15 should be especially fun:

30. Boise State at Washington, Sept. 8
It's Boise State's first shot to show 2006 wasn't a fluke.

29. BYU at UCLA, Sept. 8
If BYU wants to show it reloaded, this is the game to prove it.

28. Ohio State at Washington, Sept. 15
It's not OSU at Texas, but it's a long trip for the rebuilding Buckeyes and a chance for the Ty Willingham era to take off.

27. Utah at Louisville, Oct. 6
If the Mountain West wants to get on the national map, this is a game it must have. Utah might really be that good.

26. Nebraska at Wake Forest, Sept. 8
The Huskers will be looking ahead to the showdown with USC the week after. Wake Forest will be looking to show it's still the real deal.

25. Colorado at Florida State, Sept. 15
Colorado hasn't been afraid to go on the road and face some good teams. Now it has to show it can beat them.

24. Washington State at Wisconsin, Sept. 1
A sneaky-tough game for the Badgers in its first real, live regular season non-conference game since going to West Virginia in the 2003 opener.

23. Louisville at Kentucky, Sept. 15
This will be one of the most exciting shootouts of the early season. UK is desperate to prove it's on par with its in-state rival.

22. Kansas State at Auburn, Sept. 1
It's not a misprint. Kansas State is going on the road to face a non-conference opponent with a pulse.

21. Maryland at Rutgers, Sept. 29
The two teams should be excellent, but for Rutgers, this is a must-win before Big East play starts.

20. Boston College at Notre Dame, Oct. 13
Catholics vs. Catholics. This is a sandwich game for the Irish between a trip to UCLA and the showdown against USC.

19. South Florida at Auburn, Sept. 8
South Florida is the team no one will want to face. It's just good enough to ruin Auburn's season before it gets going.

18. West Virginia at Maryland, Sept. 13
Growing into a good interconference rivalry, Maryland will look to get the upper hand again after losing the last three years.

17. Notre Dame at Penn State, Sept. 8
Can you say payback? Penn State is still smarting from last year's 41-17 embarrassment in South Bend.

16. Alabama vs. Florida State (in Jacksonville), Sept. 29
It might not be the best game of the year, but it's a fascinating matchup. Alabama won the last showdown between the two ... in 1974. FSU went 1-10 while Bama went 11-1.

15. Clemson at South Carolina, Nov. 24
The Gamecocks broke through in the rivalry last year for the first win since 2001.

14. Notre Dame at UCLA, Oct. 6
If this is half as good as the final minute of last year's game, this'll be one of the most competitive games of the year.

13. Georgia at Georgia Tech, Nov. 24
Georgia Tech will likely be better than last year when it lost/gagged a tough battle with the Dawgs. This could easily be a BCS game type of matchup.

12. Texas A&M at Miami, Sept. 20
It's unlikely the Canes are still holding a grudge from the last time they played the Aggies ... a 70-14 defeat in 1944.

11. Oklahoma State at Georgia, Sept. 1
Shhhhh. Oklahoma State has the potential to be one of the nation's biggest sleepers. The offense should be phenomenal.

10. Georgia Tech at Notre Dame, Sept. 1
The Yellow Jackets were good enough to win last year's showdown and didn't get it done. They have to take jump-start what could be a great year by taking advantage of the rebuilding Irish.

9. TCU at Texas, Sept. 8
This is TCU's dream shot. A win over the Longhorns would likely springboard a run to the BCS, while this would be a great victory for Texas in the eventual BCS rankings.

8. Oregon at Michigan, Sept. 15
Michigan has lost its last three games against Pac 10 teams including a 31-27 defeat in Eugene. Oregon's good enough to win this.

7. Notre Dame at Michigan, Sept. 15
The Irish have to play four road games in five weeks and has to go to Ann Arbor after playing Georgia Tech and traveling to Penn State.

6. Florida State at Florida, Nov. 24
The Noles have lost three in a row to the Gators. Each team might have a conference championship to prepare for the following week.

5. USC at Notre Dame, Oct. 20
USC should be far, far better than the Irish, but strange things happen in this rivalry. The Trojans have won the last five.

4. Miami at Oklahoma, Sept. 8
The last time these two superpowers met, Miami won the national title in the 1988 Orange Bowl. The Canes have won three in a row over the Sooners.

3. Tennessee at California, Sept. 1
Tennessee announced it was back with a 35-18 win over a great Cal team in the 2006 opener. The Bears can show they belong in the spotlight, and in the national title hunt, with a win in Berkeley.

2. USC at Nebraska, Sept. 15
If Nebraska wants to be back to superpower status, this is the game it has to win. The Trojans will likely be No. 1 and can cement themselves in the spot with a victory.

1. Virginia Tech at LSU, Sept. 8
While Virginia Tech vs. LSU might not get the national attention this off-season like USC vs. Nebraska will, the two should be among the five best (at worst, ten best) in the country. This will have national title implications. The Tigers beat the Hokies 26-8 in the 2002 opener

My revised top 10. I left out rivalry non-conferences games because I rated them as the most intriguing games that don't happen every year. If I did include them, Fla vs Fla St. would be No. 2, Maryland vs West Virginia would be 9th or 10th. I'll elaborate more later after work, if anyone wants to discuss.

1. USC at <st1:state><st1:place>Nebraska</st1:place></st1:state>, Sept. 15
If
<st1:state><st1:place>Nebraska</st1:place></st1:state> wants to be back to superpower status, this is the game it has to win. The Trojans will likely be No. 1 and can cement themselves in the spot with a victory.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
2. <st1:state><st1:place>Oregon</st1:place></st1:state> at <st1:state><st1:place>Michigan</st1:place></st1:state>, Sept. 15
<st1:state><st1:place>Michigan</st1:place></st1:state> has lost its last three games against Pac 10 teams including a 31-27 defeat in <st1:city><st1:place>Eugene</st1:place></st1:city>. <st1:state><st1:place>Oregon</st1:place></st1:state>'s good enough to win this.<o:p></o:p>
3. <st1:state><st1:place>Tennessee</st1:place></st1:state> at <st1:state><st1:place>California</st1:place></st1:state>, Sept. 1
<st1:state><st1:place>Tennessee</st1:place></st1:state> announced it was back with a 35-18 win over a great <st1:state><st1:place>Cal</st1:place></st1:state> team in the 2006 opener. The Bears can show they belong in the spotlight, and in the national title hunt, with a win in <st1:city><st1:place>Berkeley</st1:place></st1:city>.<o:p></o:p>
4. Virginia Tech at LSU, Sept. 8
While Virginia Tech vs. LSU might not get the national attention this off-season like USC vs. Nebraska will, the two should be among the five best (at worst, ten best) in the country. This will have national title implications. The Tigers beat the Hokies 26-8 in the 2002 opener<o:p></o:p>

5. <st1:place><st1:placename>Oklahoma</st1:placename><st1:placetype>State</st1:placetype></st1:place> at <st1:country-region><st1:place>Georgia</st1:place></st1:country-region>, Sept. 1
Shhhhh.
<st1:state><st1:place>Oklahoma</st1:place></st1:state> State has the potential to be one of the nation's biggest sleepers. The offense should be phenomenal.<o:p></o:p>
6. South Florida at <st1:city><st1:place>Auburn</st1:place></st1:city>, Sept. 8
<st1:place>South Florida</st1:place> is the team no one will want to face. It's just good enough to ruin <st1:city><st1:place>Auburn</st1:place></st1:city>'s season before it gets going.<o:p></o:p>
7. <st1:state><st1:place>Alabama</st1:place></st1:state> vs. <st1:place><st1:placename>Florida</st1:placename><st1:placetype>State</st1:placetype></st1:place> (in <st1:city><st1:place>Jacksonville</st1:place></st1:city>), Sept. 29
It might not be the best game of the year, but it's a fascinating matchup.
<st1:state><st1:place>Alabama</st1:place></st1:state> won the last showdown between the two ... in 1974. FSU went 1-10 while Bama went 11-1.<o:p></o:p>
8. <st1:state><st1:place>Utah</st1:place></st1:state> at <st1:city><st1:place>Louisville</st1:place></st1:city>, Oct. 6
If the Mountain West wants to get on the national map, this is a game it must have.
<st1:state><st1:place>Utah</st1:place></st1:state> might really be that good.<o:p></o:p>
9. Texas A&M at <st1:city><st1:place>Miami</st1:place></st1:city>, Sept. 20
It's unlikely the Canes are still holding a grudge from the last time they played the Aggies ... a 70-14 defeat in 1944.<o:p></o:p>

10. <st1:state><st1:place>Maryland</st1:place></st1:state> at <st1:place>Rutgers</st1:place>, Sept. 29
The two teams should be excellent, but for
<st1:place>Rutgers</st1:place>, this is a must-win before Big East play starts.

Just missed the cut
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
11. TCU at <st1:state><st1:place>Texas</st1:place></st1:state>, Sept. 8
This is TCU's dream shot. A win over the Longhorns would likely springboard a run to the BCS, while this would be a great victory for
<st1:state><st1:place>Texas</st1:place></st1:state> in the eventual BCS rankings.

12. 4. Miami at Oklahoma, Sept. 8
The last time these two superpowers met, Miami won the national title in the 1988 Orange Bowl. The Canes have won three in a row over the Sooners.

u really looking forward to that oregon/Um game train? It might not be a game, or it could be a barnburner..I think it will be the latter.

u really looking forward to that oregon/Um game train? It might not be a game, or it could be a barnburner..I think it will be the latter.

I like it because both teams have really good QB's and RB's returning. Michigan obviously have good WR's returning, and Oregon has some experience back. I agree that Oregon sucks on the road but they usually start the season strong and should be able to put up a lot of points on Michigans inexperienced defense. Both defenses should have trouble stopping the offenses all day. I agree that it could get out of hand early, but I think it will be shootout until the mid 4th quarter. It was tough putting it over the Cal v Tenn game. Why Fuitak has 3 Notre Dame games in the top 10 blows my mind.

Interesting opening weekend in the SEC..I didn't really pay attention to the matchups before just skimmed..

Tenn @ Cal - Very interested in this game, Cal should have one of tops WR corps and Tenn is going to be really green at DB opening week.
Oky St @ UGA - Even more interested in this one. Wouldn't shock me if OSU won and Gamecocks got UGA the following week.
KState @ Auburn - Not much to say about this one.

Sept 8th around the nation is just awsome

I like it because both teams have really good QB's and RB's returning. Michigan obviously have good WR's returning, and Oregon has some experience back. I agree that Oregon sucks on the road but they usually start the season strong and should be able to put up a lot of points on Michigans inexperienced defense. Both defenses should have trouble stopping the offenses all day. I agree that it could get out of hand early, but I think it will be shootout until the mid 4th quarter. It was tough putting it over the Cal v Tenn game. Why Fuitak has 3 Notre Dame games in the top 10 blows my mind.

I agree bro, if the O/U is around 55-60 I'm all over the over.

Interesting opening weekend in the SEC..I didn't really pay attention to the matchups before just skimmed..

Tenn @ Cal - Very interested in this game, Cal should have one of tops WR corps and Tenn is going to be really green at DB opening week.
Oky St @ UGA - Even more interested in this one. Wouldn't shock me if OSU won and Gamecocks got UGA the following week.
KState @ Auburn - Not much to say about this one.

Sept 8th around the nation is just awsome

Agree about Sept. 8th
KState @ Auburn might be a good game if Freeman continues to improve. I'm just shocked seeing KState playing a major BCS non-conference road game.
Agree with you on Sept 8. Here are some of the games to look forward too.

Big 12 playing some good OOC games finally.

Except Texas. Why don't they have a big BCS school on their schedule again? I'm not ripping them, I give them a lot of credit for having the balls to do a home in home with tOSU. I'm a Wisconsin fan who is now the official king of scheduling cupcakes.

That ND/USC game should be good. ND should be comfortable with everyone new by then. USC will have the talent advantage, but the Stadium should be rocking.

That ND/USC game should be good. ND should be comfortable with everyone new by then. USC will have the talent advantage, but the Stadium should be rocking.

ND will get trashed that game no matter how loud the stadium is

Agree, It's not like USC has never played in a loud stadium before.

:shake:

Its also not like USC doesn't return one of if not thee best defense in the country and ND just lost their whole offense..

I wouldn't be surprised if ND does not win 7 games this yr... They certainly won't exceed that and I love every minute of it..I went a little harsh on grading them this yr, they could end the season with a 4game win streak, not saying much at all, but those first 8 games are going to be painful for the Irish faithful.

Sept. 1 GEORGIA TECH (Possible Win, more likely Loss)
Sept. 8 at Penn State (L)
Sept. 15 at Michigan (L)
Sept. 22 MICHIGAN STATE (Possible Win, more likely Loss)
Sept. 29 at Purdue (W)
Oct. 6 at UCLA (L)
Oct. 13 BOSTON COLLEGE (L)
Oct. 20 USC (L)
Nov. 3 NAVY (W)
Nov. 10 AIR FORCE (W)
Nov. 17 DUKE (W)
Nov. 24 at Stanford (W)

Back