Joe Blanton is a Philadelphia Phillie

MusicCityGambler

Chill Winstonnn!
According to the ESPN bottomline Blanton is heading to Philadelphia while Oakland receives three prospects. Definite upgrade over Eaton, but does it increase the Phillies' chances in October if they make it? I don't think so, but I hope I'm wrong on that.

I'm interested to see who the prospects are...before the Reds dealt for Volquez, Blanton was one of three the Reds were looking at (Volquez, Blanton, and Bedard)..

Rumor was then, Beane wanted either Bruce and Homer or Hamilton and Homer just for Blanton...

Which was absolutely ridiculous asking price.

I was expecting Bazooka Joe to get moved, actually thought they'd move him before the season started. Once I saw Harden go to Chicago I said to myself "Ok, either they're trying to turn him into their ace which yah...or they'll move him sometime around the break."

Whew, one less Oakland A's pitcher that's owned my White Sox to worry about.

Blanton should get just rocked in that stadium. I think bad trade for the Phills

Depends what they gave up...Blanton is a bulldog and you don't have to throw shutouts to help the Phils win..

Throw 4.00 ERA ball and save the bullpen and you are valuable to that club...

They have major rotation issues w/ Eaton and Myers debacle.

The Phillies have reached an agreement with the Oakland Athletics to acquire right-handed pitcher Joe Blanton.

Blanton is 5-12 this year, after going 14-10 with a 3.95 ERA last season.

The Athletics get second baseman Adrian Cardenas, pitcher Josh Outman and outfielder Matthew Spencer, all minor leaguers.

The Phillies have been looking for a starting pitcher, in an effort to plug holes at the back end of their rotation.

A's general manager Billy Beane swapped Blanton a week after sending Rich Harden to the Chicago Cubs -- and that's with his team very much in contention in the AL West, six games behind the first-place Los Angeles Angels.

I know nothing about the prospects as I dont follow the minor leagues very closely at all...the only ones I know are Carrasco, Golson, Donald and Marson and none of them were in the deal so I guess its ok

hes under team control thru 2010 so thats a plus

but hes not very good so thats a minus

but if its him or adam eaton i guess its an upgrade

very 'blah' move in my opinion

rumblings of them looking at Holliday...which Id love...thatd be a nice bat to add to the lineup!

I actually like this trade...

Man, it would be awesome if they acquired Holliday but very unlikely...

for the A's fans- Cardenas is quite good. He hits for average and some think he might develop decent power for a 2b. Outman projects to middle relief and I don't know anything about Spencer.

A's are a nice little pitchers development league of their own.....

The A's are my favorite AL team, and I understand why, but it sure does get painful every year to watch.....Who am I to question the best GM in the league Billy Beane with what he has to work with, and all other aspects for that matter............

:popcorn:

When I get sad, I'll just look at Vida Guerra's ass..
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Honestly, I am not truly sure Blanton is an improvement over Eaton. He really has no plus pitches and has been prone to some real big innings this year.

The real question is if they deal Duchsherer...he's a much better pitcher.

Honestly, I am not truly sure Blanton is an improvement over Eaton. He really has no plus pitches and has been prone to some real big innings this year.

The real question is if they deal Duchsherer...he's a much better pitcher.

Blanton will be much better than Eaton. I have no doubts about that. He won't be a world beater, but I expect that he'll actually give the team a chance. Knowing that he could be traded at any moment probably didn't help his performance.

Given Beane's modus operandi, I would think he holds onto Duchscherer until next year, but he's capable of anything. I understand that Beane isn't rebuiliding with these moves, but they still have a decent shot to play in October. I would think trading Duchscherer takes them out of it.

Blanton starts in 08
WHIP 1.81, ERA 7.54 at home vs <.500 teams....... 2-2
WHIP 1.30, ERA 3.66 at home vs >.499 teams....... 5-4 to Under
WHIP 1.15, ERA 3.74 on the road <.500 teams...... 2-1 to Under
WHIP 1.71, ERA 7.47 on the road >.499 teams...... 3-1 to Over

(68-41-19 - 177-77-24 - 65-25-9 - 65-37-18)

I think this gives them some sort of push...the phillies came out and said they were going to get a "B" list pitcher, nothing fancy just enough to get them on the path now that myers and eaton are declining... We also have a talent in Happ who will need to get alot more quality starts for him to be proven to stay in the rotation...

I dont know what there going to do with Eaton. He probably wont except a minor league assignment and he wont fit in the bullpen. He has one year left but he is making to much for a team to see value in taking him

by the way, JA Happ...the guy who has been sent back to the minors with Myers coming back...threw 7 innings of no hit ball with 12 strikeouts last night

philly fans while i applaud you on your move its going to be a hell of a stretch these next 60 games.. the fish are for real and are going to fight you guys tooth and nail down the stretch.. our rotation is coming around when sanchez and mitre get back which should bolster our bullpen.. now if we could just get rid of gregg...

philly fans while i applaud you on your move its going to be a hell of a stretch these next 60 games.. the fish are for real and are going to fight you guys tooth and nail down the stretch.. our rotation is coming around when sanchez and mitre get back which should bolster our bullpen.. now if we could just get rid of gregg...

If the Phillies don't win the East, I'd much rather see the Fish take it than the fucking Mets. Good luck.

i think this is a great move for Philly, and it sucks cuz i'm on their under for the season... ugh

I was suprised the Phillies were able to get a pitcher without having to give up Carrasco. That said Cardenas is one of the best 2B prospects in the game. I think what this trade said more than anything is an Utley extension is in the works.

I was suprised the Phillies were able to get a pitcher without having to give up Carrasco. That said Cardenas is one of the best 2B prospects in the game. I think what this trade said more than anything is an Utley extension is in the works.

again, nice job Phills

With props to my bro, this is an email he sent me...

Just a little more on the trade here...below is a quote from assistant David Forst about it all...

"We started this process last November [and] December and said we wanted to build a foundation and put together a group of players who would be here a long time," Forst said, adding that the hope was to re-create "what we had at the beginning of the decade,"

when young stars such as Jason Giambi, Miguel Tejada, Eric Chavez, Ramon Hernandez, Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder and Barry Zito helped put the A's back on the map.

I listened to the whole press conference...like 10 minutes and all, and Forst made it sound like the A's from last winter were planning on a full re-load of the roster to build a team that could be competitive for many years to come even if they only become competitive in 2009/10...

basically trying to build a team like the A's in 2000 which lasted a few years, so yea, I don't think being competitive is the top consideration for 08, but what the ey', if Beeane could put together a team that is competitive for 5 years starting next year, that doesn't sound like a bad plan, and you have to give them props for sticking to the plan while getting all this crap from the press saying that Beeane only likes to have a good player so that he could trade him.

Sounds to me instead that he has a good plan and is sticking to it, and so far with the A's over .500 this year, it seems to be working out just fine.

Hey Vap...The link in the previous e-mail is from the Oak A's official site, and I believe it is also part of the MLB site so it's safe to click. Looks kinda long, but no worries if you click it.

But yea, do check it out if you get the chance cuz Forst describes who they got and why---doesn't sound like much but apparently these players were on the A's scouts radar at some time in the near past.

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/me...d=200807173145189&fid=gen_audio12&cid=mlb&v=2

Adrian Cardenas
Born 10/10/1987 <!-- Calculated Age --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> document.write(' (' + calcAge('10/10/1987') + ' years old)'); </SCRIPT>(20 years old) <!-- /Age-->
2B, PHIBaseball America's High School Player of the Year for 2006 is still a bit raw, but his development has been strong. As a 19 year old in A ball, Cardenas hit .295 with nine homers in 127 games, posting an OPS of .770. He stole 20 bases but was caught too often (7 times).

Adrian Cardenas is a good contact hitter with decent discipline. He's shown line-drive power to all fields, which many scouts expect to grow in the future. Defensively he's capable: he has been moved down the spectrum from SS to 2B, but most expect him to stick there for the forseeable future. - I obviously quoted that...

Josh Outman
Born 9/14/1984 <!-- Calculated Age --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> document.write(' (' + calcAge('9/14/1984') + ' years old)'); </SCRIPT>(23 years old) <!-- /Age-->
LHP, PHIWell, it's a better name for a pitcher than Homer, that's for sure. Outman is one of the best pitching prospects that the Phils have in the system, and with the scattered nature of the big-league club, he may see time in Philadelphia sooner rather than later. In 2007, Outman posted a combined 12-7 record and a 2.99 ERA split between double and triple-A.

When he does arrive, the Missouri State product will bring his newly-'normalized' pitching motion and an arsenal of still-developing breaking balls that complement a solid 94mph heater. His control has not yet improved enough to set him loose on big-league bats, but considering he'll be throwing home games in the most pitching-hostile stadium left in baseball, that may be the least of his worries. The good news is that by all accounts he's got a serious and mature approach to his game, which means he should be able to survive some 500ft wake-up calls.

Extension? Dude just signed a 7 year contract last year!

Thought it was coming up. Everything I ever read on Cardenas was he was suppose to replace Utley at 2nd...

I think the thinking there was if Howard doesnt resign or Burrell leaves, theyd move Utley to first or left and have a spot at second for the kid

but Utleys not goin anywhere now

and oh yeah...heres a whooper of a rumor:

According to Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Philadelphia Phillies and Colorado Rockies were discussing a deal that would have brought outfielder Matt Holliday and closer Brian Fuentes to Philadelphia in exchange for a package of players, likely consisting of outfielder Shane Victorino, left-hander J.A. Happ, Double-A right-hander Carlos Carrasco and Double-A catcher Lou Marson.

unfortunately, heres the last line of the report:

However, the talks have since stalled and it is unlikely that deal will be revisited.

and apparently they Brewers are very much interested/close to getting Huston Street...

Can you imagine a top of the lineup of:

Rollins - Utley - Holliday - Howard - Burrell

That would be quite formidable...

unfortunately, heres the last line of the report:

However, the talks have since stalled and it is unlikely that deal will be revisited.

and apparently they Brewers are very much interested/close to getting Huston Street...

Let the Joey Devine era begin in Oakland please

Back