Jockey Made In America 250 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Jockey Made in America 250 Preview and Best Bet

NASCAR Cup Series: Jockey Made in America 250
Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 2:30 p.m. ET (NBC) at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin

Race Info

NASCAR's Cup Series will continue this Sunday with the Jockey Made in America 250 at Road America in Wisconsin's Elkhart Lake.

For this racing event, drivers must complete a total of 62 laps.

As usual, there are three stages for this race.

Stage 1 consists in 14 laps. Stage 2 requires 15 laps. Finally, Stage 3 requires 33 laps.

Just like in previous weeks, an entry list naming 40 drivers has been published for this event.

So barring unforeseen circumstances, we already know who will compete in this race.

Because this is a unique event and active drivers have not competed here for NASCAR's Cup Series, drivers will get to test out the track before the actual race on Sunday afternoon.

Instead of the usual predetermined formula, qualifying will determine what the starting lineup will be.

On Sunday morning, expect the qualifying run to take place at 11:05 a.m. ET.

Track Info

Don't feel bad if you follow the NASCAR Cup Series and don't remember Road America in Elkhart Lake.

Sunday, July 4th, will mark the first time since 1956 that the NASCAR Cup Series is staging a race at this venue.

This is an asphalt track that is uniquely long by NASCAR Cup Series standards. The length of this track explains why each stage consists in so few laps.

Each lap is 4.048-miles long. So in competing 62 laps, drivers will have accumulated 250 miles.

There are 14 turns at this track. While this is a fact that you'll see listed in official details about the course, it is a bit misleading.

Turn 2 isn't really a turn. Turn 4 is more accurately characterized as a drift than a turn.

Turn 10 is actually Turn 9 -- the former is a continuation of the latter -- that officially gets divided into two turns.

So, in a sense, there are 11 turns and the track isn't quite as foreign relative to the oval tracks that NASCAR Cup Series drivers are primarily used to.

This is run on asphalt and is a road course -- which is a detail that you need to keep in the front of your mind.

As for banking, elevation is atypical in road courses.

But at Elkhart Lake, drivers will experience 171 feet of changes in elevation as they progress through the course.

Also know that this course has a reputation for encouraging great speeds.

Drivers To Avoid

Even though active drivers haven't competed at Road America for NASCAR's Cup Series, they have competed on other road courses.

Road courses are distinct enough to form a collective statistical basis for predicting how drivers will fare when driving in them.

I am a bit conflicted about Kyle Busch because he tends to perform better when he gets to practice before the race. But his numbers at road courses are uninspiring. There are better options available.

Be sure to avoid investing in Denny Hamlin. A large sample of competitions at road courses shows that he regularly flounders at them.

Out of 35 career races at road tracks, he has broken out of the top 20 only 11 times.

Plus, his racing form this season is much poorer than last year and it's not good by many standards. He's failed to finish top-10 in three of his last four overall races.

My Guy

Chase Elliott is going to be the guy that most bettors want to invest in because of his reputation for thriving at road courses.

There is going to be more value in Joey Logano, however, who has overcome a previous streak of bad races at road courses to become a consistently strong force in them.

In each of his last five road races, he has finished top-five.

With betting value and his attractive odds in mind, invest in Joey Logano.

Best Bet: Joey Logano To Win (Odds TBA)

I put a little money on Cindric in the Cup race on Sun at +4000. He is in a good car, I keep remembering him at COTA another track that most of the NASCAR drivers never raced, and he is racing in the Xfinity race. It is a long shot, but possible.

I put a little money on Cindric in the Cup race on Sun at +4000. He is in a good car, I keep remembering him at COTA another track that most of the NASCAR drivers never raced, and he is racing in the Xfinity race. It is a long shot, but possible.
Definitely possible. He dominated the Xfinity race at Road America last year and is threatening to have the pole for it this year. Interesting he is +250 to win just behind Kyle Busch at +200. So getting +4000 tomorrow is really good value. He was super fast in the rain that 1st stage at Cota before some bad luck got him late.

Ty Gibbs on the pole for the Xfinity race, of those likely to win (him, Kyle Busch, Cindric, Allmendinger), he has the longest odds at +750 to +800. I put a little on him.

Kyle Busch will be in a backup car tomorrow and will have to start from the rear.

Byron on pole
Larson 2nd
Allmendinger 3rd
Reddick 4th
Cindric 5th

Elliott 34th

Nice get. He's +1400 now. Allmendinger is +1500

Back