Jim Caldwell to Lions...

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">1m</small>
Jim Caldwell showed how serious he was about #Lions job by breaking down all of Matt Stafford’s throws in 2013, then watching tape with him

Albert Breer@AlbertBreer<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">16s</small>
Jim Caldwell likely to take Ravens secondary coach Teryl Austin with him to Detroit as defensive coordinator.

Well, Lions fans get all geeked up over most hires and you know the results. Perhaps this will be the opposite #wishfulthinking?

I don't know anyone happy about Caldwell. this link from Barnwell's Grantland article today is really fun!
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/09/jim-caldwells-timeout-explanation-doesnt-make-sense/

With 29 seconds left, the clock running and the Jets having the ball at the Colts’ 32-yard line, Indianapolis coach Jim Caldwell made a surprising decision: He called timeout.The TV cameras caught the look on Peyton Manning’s face on the sideline, and Manning was obviously thinking the same thing many of us were thinking: “What in the world is Caldwell doing?”
Caldwell was asked to explain after the game.
“I didn’t care. I was going to make sure that they couldn’t. Make them snap the ball. They were in field goal range,” Caldwell said. “We wanted to try to make them snap the ball as many times as they possibly could.”
Yes, the Jets were in field goal range: In range for what would have been a 50-yard field goal, which is no chip shot for Jets kicker Nick Folk, who went 5-for-11 on field goal attempts of 40 yards or longer this season. As it turned out, on the very next play after that timeout, Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez hit Braylon Edwards on an 18-yard completion, and on the next play after that Folk kicked the game-winning 32-yard field goal as time expired.
Frankly, Caldwell’s explanation doesn’t make any sense because his decision doesn’t make any sense. Making the Jets snap the ball again just gave the Jets another opportunity to make the field goal easier, and that’s exactly what they did.
Caldwell should have known better, because he made the same mistake during the regular season at Jacksonville, using two timeouts during the Jaguars’ final drive and helping Jacksonville set up a game-winning field goal. Caldwell didn’t learn from that mistake, and the Jets benefited on Saturday night.

more from the barn well article

In his first full year at the helm for the Ravens, Caldwell’s offense fell apart; the Ravens were 25th in points scored, 30th in DVOA, and nearly became one of the few teams since the merger to average fewer than 3.0 yards per carry. Flacco, who had put together an astounding 11-touchdown, zero-interception Super Bowl run, threw 22 interceptions in his worst season as a pro. The basis for hiring Caldwell comes down to his two seasons as a head coach with the greatest quarterback in the history of football under center.

Lions never fail to disappoint.

Perhaps they would bring back Schwartz as DC and really make a splash...

Does it matter??

Xanders should be the GM in the first place. Ford's should sell the team. No coach wants to come here.

Being a North Carolina guy (being from here, not the University per se) I just can't get past Jim Caldwell as the Wake Forest head football coach and how badly he did there. It was awful. Amazing how he fell up. Good for him.

All that said, Wiz was offered 1 million more to go to Na$hville, no brainer for anyone. Still dont see what makes Stafford so great to so many besides the guy to your left.

how is the head coach search going? the only stories i seem to see are the ones where people turn down interviews.

I guess they can take their sweet time now, they're the only HC vacancy remaining. Supposedly have their eye on Broncos OC Adam Gase, and he's not interviewing until the Broncos are done. No telling whether he has his eye on the Browns. Firing Chud after one year, after trading out of most of the 2013 draft and giving him really nothing at QB and RB, might be proving a tough sell to the next guy. Of course, I think one of the cushiest jobs in sports is the Browns next ex-coach.

Ive never been to Nashville, but I'm sure its a lot nicer place to live than 8 mile.

8 mile is exactly one of the better areas in detroit to live if not downtown, at least u get strip clubs for miles. btw, no one who makes 30+ a year lives in detroit anyway. birmingham, bloomfield are about as nice as it gets.

Actually, Take 8 mile out west to the burbs and that's where a lot of the wings/pistons/lions/tigers live. Million dollar houses everywhere

my god not this guy please I have try to go and ask for that job. it looks like to me the DETROIT LIONS will give the coaching job to anyone unreal. I can't say anymore about this hire did you ever take a real close look at this coach to me it look like he has no clue where he is at most of the time . you have to hire a coach with big balls that takes no bullshit this guy will be a pushover same coach for U of M a school like U of M can almost get anybody they want look who they hire a guy that likes to eat more then coach. I give up the public will still go to the games full house unreal:thinking:lions coach thinking lets see its 1 down at the 1 yard line ready to score what call should I make I have a great Idea lets throw the ball but we only need 1 yard lets fool them MF run it 4 times not this coach he would throw it 4 times thats the kind of coach DETROIT got a loser

goodnight:sleepy: lions coach at the 1 yard line take a close look at this coach

BeHp3AuCEAAgQOp.jpg

BAR he looks like a bright coach:rofl: do you really think the Detroit lions players are going to listen to him. like you said the ford family is so fucked up it's unreal

Back