Jay Gruden New Washington HC

Is relationship with the GM was widely publicized ...looks like Cincy will promote hue Jackson..

just glad another opening closes without Zimmer leaving

Really happy for Jay. Know him personally as I used to do work with the Orlando Predators. Real good guy.

As a Skins fan, that's good to hear. Should have known that he was the man when they didn't fire Haslet, McVay, or Morris.

I think he's a bright young mind that seems to work well with the media/players. The hiring of a 27 year old as offensive coordinator seems rushed, but he is a guy Gruden always wanted and a guy that people around the league both respect and expect to be a future head coach.

Hue Jackson also has ties to the Redskins. I've always been a fan of his.

Agree on Hue Jackson, dude is awesome and should have never been fired by AL.

Hope Zimm gets the Vikings job, seems like a real good dude, likes the chew, and called out petrino. my kind of guy.

Yes, how does a guy get a head coaching job after failing at his job?

How did he fail? They lost a few playoff games due to Dalton playing pretty poorly in those games.

That being said, I don't know why people think this is a "great hire." Jay may very well be one of those guys who make great coordinators, but are horrible as head coaches. There are A LOT of those guys in the NFL these days. I'm not saying he won't be a good head coach, but it's far from certain that he will be, and calling it a "great hire" makes little sense at this point.

Kinda underwelmed about him, but I love his press conference. I love how honest and straight forward he was.

You guys are blaming Dalton for the loss? They could have ran the ball down SD's throats and then took advantage of a stacked box. Great hire is fucking laughable.

You guys are blaming Dalton for the loss? They could have ran the ball down SD's throats and then took advantage of a stacked box. Great hire is fucking laughable.

No, I'm not really blaming him at all. I just said he played poorly in those 3 playoff games, which he has. If Bernand doesn't fumble when he does, that game probably turns out a lot differently, and ends up with Dalton not having to make the throws he did. I like Dalton just fine as a QB, and don't think how he's played in 3 playoff games should define him or his future.

Being a fan of this franchise gets more difficult by the minute. Can't believe anyone is excited about this hire. He could very well be a nice guy, but then so was Jim Zorn.

What about the Bengals offense makes you excited about him coming to DC?

Being a fan of this franchise gets more difficult by the minute. Can't believe anyone is excited about this hire. He could very well be a nice guy, but then so was Jim Zorn.

What about the Bengals offense makes you excited about him coming to DC?

Time for my broken record statement...when the guy at the top is making the hiring decisions, and has a history of making horrible decisions, why would anyone expect this one to be any different? To call it a "great hire" really boggles my mind...Daniel Snyder is still the idiot making these hires right? Poorly run franchises usually won't change much until the owner changes. See Buffalo and Detroit for 2 great examples. And you can go back in the history of pro sports and find numerous other examples.

Yeah, but I think this is more about Bruce Allen, who has a relationship with the Grudens. And for the record, the Skins aren't the only team interested in this guy. He seems to be at the top of everyone's wish list, and I fail to understand why. I think this says more about the coaches who happen to be available right now. Its a supply/demand issue. Not a lot of great candidates out there and a lot of vacancies to fill.

Buy yeah, it goes without saying that Snyder is a clown...

I think it was a real good hire for Washington. In most football circles from what I read, he is an offensive progressive. If I am a skins fan, I am happy.

I don't think the Browns were looking to interview him, so that's probably a plus for this hire.

I think it was a real good hire for Washington. In most football circles from what I read, he is an offensive progressive. If I am a skins fan, I am happy.

I'm not saying he's not an offensive progressive, but that would qualify him to be an OC. I don't see how that qualifies him to be a good head coach. Like I said earlier, there are a bunch of guys who are great coordinators but are horrible head coaches. Wade Phillips, Mike Mularky, Chan Gailey, etc, etc, etc. Funny thing there is the Bills hired all 3 of those guys as their HC, and none of them were successful. But all 3 of them are pretty damn good as coordinators.

I'm with Lareux here. Apparently I have different ideas than most on who would be a good coach.

I think Strong was a fantastic hire by the Horns and that seems to be against most opinions...

they finished 17th in DVOA 3 straight years

so he's consistently average

there's that....

Def. a concern. Hopefully that has more to do with a lack of talent at the QB spot and no running game than it does of the ability of Gruden.

Time for my broken record statement...when the guy at the top is making the hiring decisions, and has a history of making horrible decisions, why would anyone expect this one to be any different? To call it a "great hire" really boggles my mind...Daniel Snyder is still the idiot making these hires right? Poorly run franchises usually won't change much until the owner changes. See Buffalo and Detroit for 2 great examples. And you can go back in the history of pro sports and find numerous other examples.

This hiring was different because it was all Bruce Allen. And probably why you saw a more low key guy vs. the big splash (Snyder).

I'm not saying he's not an offensive progressive, but that would qualify him to be an OC. I don't see how that qualifies him to be a good head coach. Like I said earlier, there are a bunch of guys who are great coordinators but are horrible head coaches. Wade Phillips, Mike Mularky, Chan Gailey, etc, etc, etc. Funny thing there is the Bills hired all 3 of those guys as their HC, and none of them were successful. But all 3 of them are pretty damn good as coordinators.

What have you seen from him to suggest that he wouldn't be a good head coach?

As you mention, I'm more worried about how well of a head coach he is than how much of an offensive mind he is.

I really don't know a ton about him. Know he had succes in the UFL and Arena league and did ok with an average QB in Cincy. Supposedly highly respected with a lot of connections (estimated he got texts from 350 coaches wanting a job).

But, he made a good impression with me in the press conference today. Seems like a straight forward guy that isnt the my way or the highway attitude of Shanahan and is willing to get input from his other coaches.

What have you seen from him to suggest that he wouldn't be a good head coach?

As you mention, I'm more worried about how well of a head coach he is than how much of an offensive mind he is.

I really don't know a ton about him. Know he had succes in the UFL and Arena league and did ok with an average QB in Cincy. Supposedly highly respected with a lot of connections (estimated he got texts from 350 coaches wanting a job).

But, he made a good impression with me in the press conference today. Seems like a straight forward guy that isnt the my way or the highway attitude of Shanahan and is willing to get input from his other coaches.

I haven't seen anything, but he hasn't been an NFL head coach, so there's that. I'm NOT saying he won't be a good head coach. I'm simply saying that him being a good OC and an offensively progressive mind means nothing as to whether or not he will be a successful head coach. We've all seen it time and time again with good/great OCs or DCs who fail miserably as HCs.

I agree with that. I do like that he comes from a strong coaching pedigree and although he hasn't been an NFL head coach, he was very successful as a head coach for the UFL and Arena league. No comparison, obviously, but does give him experience as the head guy.

Really, you just never know. That's why it's kind of exciting when you get a new guy (some coordinator, could be Sean Payton or could be Pat Shurmur), kind of comforting when you get a former Super Bowl winner (could be Bill Parcells or could be Steve Mariucci), and kind of scary when you get a guy who failed the first time (could be Bill Belichick or could be Eric Mangini). You never know, you have to trust the guys hiring the guy and hope for the best.

I guess my former Super Bowl winner example, for the purposes of this thread, should have been Shanny.

Really, you just never know. That's why it's kind of exciting when you get a new guy (some coordinator, could be Sean Payton or could be Pat Shurmur), kind of comforting when you get a former Super Bowl winner (could be Bill Parcells or could be Steve Mariucci), and kind of scary when you get a guy who failed the first time (could be Bill Belichick or could be Eric Mangini). You never know, you have to trust the guys hiring the guy and hope for the best.

This is what it boils down to, as I've said in this thread and other threads time and time again. It may have been Bruce Allen who went with Gruden, but at the end of the day, Snyder is making the final decision. His track record for players and coaches speaks for itself. He's a clown of an owner.

It's actually Allens decision. Snyder wasn't in on the interviews and didn't get involved until Gruden was chosen.

I get your point. Fact is though, every head coach wasn't a head coach always. Have to start somewhere. I like the hire. Sean Payton was an offensive coordinator....first HC job was with Saints. Worked out well. I think this is how you strike gold...not hiring Mike Shanny

Sure gettin Jon Gruden woulda been good, or Bill Cowher. Those guys werent there....Again we cant know, but I like the hire for the skins

missed this post here, but yea tip my point is exactly

and those are gold....I really like the hire

my point exactly

It's actually Allens decision. Snyder wasn't in on the interviews and didn't get involved until Gruden was chosen.

But he was involved at some point....he gave the okay. And, at the end of the day, Snyder hired Allen. If this hire doesn't work out, even if it was 100% Allen and Snyder didn't even give the okay, he was the one who hired Allen and if it's a failure it falls back on Snyder.

I get your point. Fact is though, every head coach wasn't a head coach always. Have to start somewhere. I like the hire. Sean Payton was an offensive coordinator....first HC job was with Saints. Worked out well. I think this is how you strike gold...not hiring Mike Shanny

Sure gettin Jon Gruden woulda been good, or Bill Cowher. Those guys werent there....Again we cant know, but I like the hire for the skins

Sure, you can strike gold, and maybe the Skins did in this case. The point is that for every "gold strike" there are probably 20 times as many situations where it didn't work out at all.

Again, my point isn't that it's not a good hire, or that Jay Gruden will not be successful. My point is that calling it a "great hire" or anything like that makes no sense when he doesn't have a proven track record as an NFL head coach. People can like the hire, nothing wrong with that, but you can't call it a great hire until there is some actual evidence that it was a great hire.

Sure, you can strike gold, and maybe the Skins did in this case. The point is that for every "gold strike" there are probably 20 times as many situations where it didn't work out at all.

Again, my point isn't that it's not a good hire, or that Jay Gruden will not be successful. My point is that calling it a "great hire" or anything like that makes no sense when he doesn't have a proven track record as an NFL head coach. People can like the hire, nothing wrong with that, but you can't call it a great hire until there is some actual evidence that it was a great hire.
well yea

but who would be a great hire?

it is all unknown

well yea

but who would be a great hire?

it is all unknown

Someone with a proven track record as an NFL coach would be, or could be called a great hire. You're right, it is all unknown with guys who haven't done it before. We could just stop feeling the need to call things "great" before we know if it really is great. The way of the world though now Twinkie, everything is the greatest ever, and everyone needs to compare and rank everything.

What's wrong with people just saying they like the hire as opposed to that was a great hire? Or that people liked the draft pick, and it may turn out well, as opposed to "that was the best draft pick they made in 10 years, and it's a sure thing?"

It is all unknown, for sure. Just like when the Bears got Trestman; great offensive mind but who knows as a coach? I think Gruden is a "great hire" in the sense that the Skins got an up and coming guy, instead of some retread.

Back