Jason Taylor Traded To Redskins

reNew Orleans

Clubbin' with Rasual Butler
Skins trade for Dolphins' Taylor after Phillips goes down

ESPN.com news services

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->
<!-- end story header --> <!-- begin left column --> <!-- begin page tools --> Updated: July 20, 2008, 7:06 PM ET
<!-- end page tools --> <!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->After losing defensive end Phillip Daniels for the season, the Washington Redskins moved quickly to fill the void.
3968.jpg
Taylor

The Redskins acquired Jason Taylor from the Miami Dolphins.
The Dolphins will receive a second-round pick in 2009 and a sixth-rounder in 2010.
Daniels, a starter, was hurt on the initial play of 7-on-7 offense vs. defense drills on Sunday. He stayed down on the turf for several minutes before being taken away on a cart, a towel draped over his head. He's expected to have surgery Friday.
"Not a good way to start, at all," middle linebacker London Fletcher said. "It's a big blow to our defense. Phil was a tremendous leader, excellent at playing the run, and was going to be our third-down attack guy. With him going down, it's like we're replacing two guys."
ESPN.com's John Clayton first reported Daniels' season-ending injury and the fact that the Redskins were pursuing Taylor.
Washington executive vice president Vinny Cerrato said Taylor is expected to report to Redskins training camp on Monday.
The Redskins also lost another defensive end, reserve Alex Buzbee, to a season-ending injury during their afternoon practice. Buzbee ruptured his Achilles tendon.
"With Phillip gone, and now Buzbee gone, there's a hole there," head coach Jim Zorn said. "And Phillip has created a big hole."
Day 1 of Zorn's training camp debut as an NFL head coach also included this sight: Cornerback Fred Smoot threw off his left shoe and clearly was in pain after wideout Santana Moss landed on him during the afternoon practice. It turned out Smoot sprained his ankle and is expected to only miss a week or less.
"I love sprained ankles now, because we know that's just a few days' deal," Zorn said, cracking a smile.
He was more serious while speaking about the loss of Daniels, who has played 12 seasons in the NFL with Washington, Chicago and Seattle. His 59 career sacks rank 17th among active players.
"The hard part is he was so ready, and he did everything that he could possibly do to not just have a great training camp but an excellent football season," Zorn said. "And now he's got a new challenge before him, and of course we have a new challenge before us."
The Redskins began training camp with Erasmus James sidelined. He's a former first-round pick who has had serious knee injuries, and Zorn said he doesn't expect James to be able to begin practicing until next month.

As a Dolphins fan, I have no problem with this trade; getting a 2nd rounder for Taylor is fine by me. Whenever the Dolphins become a playoff caliber team, Taylor will have outlived his productivity in my opinion. Hopefully that 2nd rounder should yield a starter for years to come; moderate sympathies to you Giants and Eagle fans out there (BB and JP), but the 'Skins are still bringing up the rear in this division.

Yeah, good post Horses.

You have to be happy with this deal if you're the Fish, you need talent more than anything right now and Taylor won't be around by the time that team gets good.

And, yes, the Skins have a mountain to climb. That said, I'm sure Blitz would agree, we need some gimmie games here 'cause the NFC East is no joke.

my roommate laughed and said all the teams in the NFC East are overrated except for his team...

Tough to expect much less from a Cowboy fan.

I'm pretty sure when that if the 'Boys had gone 7-9 last year you'd hear the same thing from him.

I'm not sure myopia spreads as fast or as deep with anybody like it does with Cowboy fans.

it doesnt really bother me since im not worriied about the redskins at all but that being said, im kinda pissed...the eagles couldnt have given up a 2nd and a sixth for this guy???

he woulda looked pretty good opposite trent cole

I think Washington got a good deal. If I were a GM, I'd would give 2nd and 6th rd picks for an all-pro DE. Oh, and for the sake of the argument, Philly is not overrated and they are my pick to win NFC.

Losing Philip Daniels will hurt the Skins, he was a leader on that defense. Another big free agent signing for the Skins, but I've got to admit, one that at least perks my interest.

The teams in the NFC East really aren't much different this season in terms of talent. Sure the Boys are more talented, but you've got the villiage idiot driving the bus (Wade Phillips). I'm seeing a lot of 1-1 records head to head in this division again.

As a Dolphins fan, I have no problem with this trade; getting a 2nd rounder for Taylor is fine by me. Whenever the Dolphins become a playoff caliber team, Taylor will have outlived his productivity in my opinion. Hopefully that 2nd rounder should yield a starter for years to come; moderate sympathies to you Giants and Eagle fans out there (BB and JP), but the 'Skins are still bringing up the rear in this division.

You think it's gonna take the Fins more than 2 seasons to be playoff caliber? I think 2 seasons with Parcewls at the helm and Taylor would have gotten them there quicker. I dont like the trade. It's gonna take 3 or 4 seasons to get a kid right out of college to play at the intensity Taylor plays. Bad trade IMO.

The teams in the NFC East really aren't much different this season in terms of talent. Sure the Boys are more talented, but you've got the villiage idiot driving the bus (Wade Phillips). I'm seeing a lot of 1-1 records head to head in this division again.

well put

First time in football ? :) I'm sure we will agree more than disagree come season. :shake:

LOL, true enough, SS...here's to our Phins this year...:cheers:

Back