Jared Lorenzen RIP

Way too young, but anyone who saw him in the last decade or two (or ever saw him at all for that matter) knew he was in a death spiral,

You can't carry that immense weight like he did and live very long.

He ate his way out of the NFL—stories were he topped 400 in the off season after his fourth year and the Giants lost patience—and made the news after that every few years with his recurring announcements that his health was at risk, he had found a new diet that was working wonders, and was really going to lose it this time.

He'd lose massive amounts, then binge eat it all back in a few days. That pattern is an even faster death sentence than obesity alone. The last report, a few weeks back said he had gotten up above 500 pounds this past year and had managed to lose 100 pounds.

I feel sorry for him. Gluttony at that level is not a lack of willpower, it’s mental illness. There are several different mental diseases, including FTD, where endless gluttony is one of the main symptoms. And most of them can be triggered by concussion. I suspect they will find CTE if the family allows his brain to be studied.

I’ve always thought Art Schlichter suffered from mental illness. His gambling was more extreme than the run-of-the-mill gambling addict. He suffered at least 20 concussions, starting when he was in high school, and now, still in his 50’s, he is suffering from advanced dementia and Parkinson’s.

Last edited:
He really had amazingly quick feet for such a big man. Terrible shame he didn't get the proper help to be able to conquer the disease.

Back