Jaguars vs Broncos Pick Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Broncos vs Jaguars Week 4 NFL Odds & Predictions

Jacksonville Jaguars (1-2) at Denver Broncos (0-3)

When/Where: Sunday, 4:25 p.m. ET at Mile High Stadium

Odds: Broncos -3, O/U 39

TV: CBS

One tendency that may deceive bettors is that the Jaguars do poorly against AFC West teams. It’s verifiably true that Jacksonville is worth fading in West Coast games. But Denver is not far enough west to be included in this trend. In fact, the Jaguars have covered the spread in their last three games in Denver.

Another trend is that Bronco quarterback Joe Flacco has thrown no touchdowns to two interceptions both of the times that he faced Jacksonville since 2016, which was Jaguar corner Jalen Ramsey’s rookie year. Ramsey is elite, being one of three cornerbacks to have allowed a sub-80 passer rating when targeted in each year since 2016.

Flacco lacks the arm talent or the help at wide receiver to succeed against the league’s better defenses. So far this year, he hasn’t shown many positives, producing a passer rating of 75.8 against Green Bay, 83.1 against Chicago, and a superficial comeback attempt against Oakland boosted his rating to 105.3 in that game.

His top wide receivers will be outmatched. Emmanuel Sanders and Courtland Sutton both possess sufficient raw physical ability as calculated by metrics like burst score, which measures explosiveness, and agility. But they haven’t developed much of a skill set, such as that required to run crisp routes or otherwise get open.

So, although they cover more ground and jump higher than the average wide receiver, Sanders only ranks 30th in cushion gained from his defending cornerback while Sutton ranks 49th in the category.

Both receivers will be blanketed by Pro Bowl corners A.J. Buoye and Jalen Ramsey, both of whom are equipped to handle an opponent’s primary receiver, which Denver truly lacks. For now, it looks like Ramsey will remain in Jacksonville and he'll report to practice after actually being sick.

Sacksonville made its reappearance with a nine-sack performance last Thursday night against Tennessee and it’s primed to feast on Denver’s seventh-worst pass protection based on adjusted sack rate allowed. Flacco is a statue. He lacks the mobility to evade Jacksonville’s sundry proven pass rushers who currently top the league in adjusted sack rate.

With Flacco struggling, a mediocre Bronco running game that ranks 22nd in YPC will face too much responsibility.

For Jacksonville, quarterback Gardner Minshew is taking the league by storm. In every game he puts his pinpoint accuracy on display.

On pass attempts of 10 or more yards, he’s currently 16-of-23 for 352 yards, five touchdowns, and a 151.7 passer rating. He’s averaging close to 30 pass attempts per game (he didn’t start Week 1) and is performing so well while Jacksonville’s run game remains absent.

Even if Bronco lockdown corner Chris Harris makes life difficult for whomever he covers, presumably Minshew’s top target DJ Chark, Jacksonville still owns reliable depth at wide receiver. Chris Conley has stepped up as Minshew’s second-favorite target and he’s right behind Chark in yards and receptions.

With Bryce Callahan struggling to recover from a foot injury, the Broncos have been suffering a crisis for depth at the cornerback position. Since Denver’s season opener, Isaac Yiadom has been picked apart by opposing cornerbacks.

Early into his last game against Green Bay, Yiadom was benched and former AFA (American Football Alliance) cornerback De’Vante Bausby took his place. Bausby had played for Chicago in 2016 and Philadelphia in 2018, only lasting a season with each team.

Minshew should have plenty of time to throw as long as Denver’s pass rush continues to struggle under its new coaching staff. The Broncos — Von Miller and Bradley Chubb among them-- have zero sacks so far.

Picks: Jaguars +3 & Under 39

Last edited:
On pass attempts of 10 or more yards, he’s currently 16-of-23 for 352 yards, five touchdowns, and a 151.7 passer rating.

This, I would have never expected.

It is pretty cool. I hope he keeps this up. He is fun for the league.

This, I would have never expected.

It is pretty cool. I hope he keeps this up. He is fun for the league.

I read a conspiracy that the league is trying to prop him up. With so many quarterbacks going down it really needs a good quarterback to market. Stache definitely has the charisma. The fix may be in for Jacksonville at least until Brees comes back I guess!

They have plenty of young guys to market.

Now with Jones in NYC... well.... that will be their focus for a bit too.,..

But, I get it the last few weeks. He is a character.

Kudos to the Jacksonville organization for taking the handcuffs off the kid and letting him throw the ball a bit. Shit, that’s what he’s been doing for most of his life. These guys do not forget how to sling it when they get into the league. Maybe the Steelers will smarten up and realize they also have a young quarterback that can throw the ball, but I won’t hold my breath...

I think minshew struggles here, it typically not easy going to Denver and winning early in the year and I just can’t believe donks pass rush is gonna continue to struggle. Those guys way too talented to not start getting to the qb. The damn coach they brought in is highly thought of when it comes to defense so this all makes very little sense to me.

The offense sucking is no surprise. So not real interested in backing donks laying points but line seems pretty strong. Gl

This might be the spot where Denver’s d shows up imo. Hate backing a rookie qb on the road in what is he really a tough place to play against an underperforming, but still talented d.

Jags d is good, but if Ramsey doesn’t play or is limited that changes things, and if the OL can protect, I think Denver can move the ball on them.

I’ll likely pass or get involved in game or at half and as always best of luck buddy

This might be the spot where Denver’s d shows up imo. Hate backing a rookie qb on the road in what is he really a tough place to play against an underperforming, but still talented d.

Jags d is good, but if Ramsey doesn’t play or is limited that changes things, and if the OL can protect, I think Denver can move the ball on them.

I’ll likely pass or get involved in game or at half and as always best of luck buddy

I pulled trigger on donks when 2.5 popped this morning, couldn’t resist. Now or never for that defense, I think they make life hell on minshew today.

Can’t freaking believe donks blew that. Man I got my head busted yesterday. Of course I pick this week to cave and make some square plays in the early games! Lol. Only thing I was really right about was Tampa but I had the fukkin under too!! That was a little off!! Lmfao.

Good call homer!!

Can’t freaking believe donks blew that. Man I got my head busted yesterday. Of course I pick this week to cave and make some square plays in the early games! Lol. Only thing I was really right about was Tampa but I had the fukkin under too!! That was a little off!! Lmfao.

Good call homer!!

1569886083197.gif

Fucking mustache mania continues!!!

I never been one to say fire a coach after his 1st month but JFC donks brought in a guy that supposed to be a defensive guru, they have players at every level, and this d worse than it ever been!!! Wtf?? If you woulda told me donks were gonna score 24 id have freaking pounded them!!

I seriously didn’t even watch any the second half, had some family over and was bbq’ing and drinking. Figured donks had it in the bag w nice halftime lead. lol

Seems like they shoulda ran the ball more no? Their rushing game appeared to have success based off the numbers but only 15 sticking attempts when playing w a lead??

Was that fornette best game as a pro?? How long can he stay healthy w that type workload? Seems like they legit contenders for the afc south if he does.

Fournette tore it up in the second half, it was a career high and he nearly broke the franchise record (Fred Taylor with 24). He FINALLY had holes to run through. I think the Broncos missed Jewell, so that was a meaningful loss at linebacker? Denver linebackers seemed to have no idea about attacking gaps and we had never really seen what Fournette could do when given an actual running lane for once. He was so much stronger and faster than last year, the offseasn work in Wyoming clearly paying off

Yeah Denver's top offensive strategy seemed to be to target Herndon and that was overall very successful. They did a ton of misdirectionn, bootleg, fake pass deep then throw short, fake pass to the right then throw left, etc. Running game never seemed like a point of emphasis.

Back