Ivy League October 29-30

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
Any Ivy League players? I've made some plays this year and I liked it! Last Saturday out of 10 possible games I could've had on TV/tablets at noon, I had two Ivy games on. I kinda like it.

Penn is the worst team in Ivy League. Vs Ivy League they were outgained by the following margins:
260 (3.6) - 444 (6.6) vs Yale lost 28-42
268 (3.9) - 426 (6.2) vs Columbia lost 14-23
141 (3.8) - 413 (5.7) vs Dartmouth lost 7-31

Granted, Columbia plays some good D, but Columbia does not do that on O. Columbia has only put up 239 (3.6) on Dartmouth, 338 (5.0) on Central Conn, 202 (3.1) on Princeton, 354 (5.8) on Georgetown. But 426 on Penn. Except for the game Columbia had week 1 vs Marist, their output vs Penn was by far their best on the season.

The Penn D is bad. The Penn O is bad. Penn had 260 (3.6) yards on Princeton and did score 28 points on just 260 yards, must've been some funny business - that is their high water mark for points in Ivy league play and it is a fluke. Penn scored 14 on Columbia on the 268 (3.9) TY. They only scored 20 on Lehigh (game was 0-0 halftime). Lehigh is 0-7 and everyone scored more than 20 on them. Lafayette upset Penn 24-14, Lafayette is only 2-5. Penn only scored 7 on Dartmouth, which again, Dartmouth is a good D, but still, 7 points and 141 TY.

Penn is 2-4 overall and 0-3 vs Ivy League. They are 2-4 ATS. They covered laying 10 week 1 vs Bucknell 30-6. Bucknell by the way is the only other team Lafayette has beat. Penn's other cover was last week losing by 14 catching 15. A game they were outgained by 180 yards.

Penn isn't good at passing. 43% completions last week vs Yale. 24% vs Columbia. 38% vs Dartmouth. And it isn't like they are some option team who doesn't pass. They try to pass, 13-of-30 vs Yale. 6-of-25 vs Columbia. 6-of-16 vs Dartmouth. Penn can run on bad teams (like Lehigh and Lafayette and Bucknell), but they haven't been able to run on their Ivy League opponents to date, avg just 113 ypg (2.9).

So I've established Penn is bad. Penn is 1-5 ATS in the 1st H, their only cover was week 1 vs Bucknell. Penn has been shutout twice in the 2nd H in 3 Ivy games.

Brown travels to Penn this week. Brown was my first Ivy bet this year on a Friday night vs Harvard. I was betting on what was supposed to be some offensive prowess. Harvard was a buzz saw that night. Turns out Harvard is one of the top defenses in the league little did I know at the time. Now I know. Since being held to 360 (5.1) TY vs Harvard, Brown has gained 490 (5.6) vs Princeton and 587 (7.1) vs Cornell in their other Ivy games. They also put up 444 (6.5) on Colgate 3 games ago. Brown started the season 0-3, they've won their last 3. They can run it (312 on Cornell) or they can pass it (over 300y passing every game this year other than the one they ran for 300 in, they passed for just 275 vs Cornell) and they hit a good % behind one of the best QBs in the Ivy, EJ Perry. Brown has the Ivy's #1 total O.

Penn is 1pt home fav vs Brown!

Too easy, what am I missing?

The Brown D is bad, they are last in total D in Ivy. Even so, if they get in a shootout vs a normally bad Penn O, if that happens, Brown can win a shootout. They just did it vs Cornell last week, winning 49-45. Brown scored 42 on Princeton. Nobody scores 42 on Princeton, Brown did. The next highest points allowed by Princeton is 28 (Monmouth).

So even if the Brown D is a liability it has been in other games this year, since the Penn D is bad too, they should not be stopping or slowing down Brown O much.

What's the other catch?

Brown turns it over a lot. 4 last week. 3 vs Colgate. 3 vs Bryant. 3 vs Harvard and 4 week 1 vs Rhode Island.

Brown with the bad D and turnover prone. Penn with the bad O and bad D. Those are the variables.

I don't know why Penn is favored. I think it is the PR and oddsmakers still catching up to Brown's poor start to the season. Brown not only opened 0-3, but they opened 0-3 ATS. Since then they are 3-0 SU and ATS with a 21 pt win as 3pt favorite (Colgate), 14 pt loss catching 21 (Princeton) and upset win +4 at Cornell. I bet Brown last week as I thought Brown had just as much of a chance as winning as Cornell and I was getting 4 pts for insurance. They won outright, although it was a back-and-forth game. I also think that Penn's final scores have not looked as bad as the box scores, for whatever reason, I am not knowledgeable yet on how those outcomes have occurred. So the perceived closeness of their games might be keeping line value their way, but the games haven't been as close as the scores imply.

I assume this line is current. I only see it showing as a 5Dimes line, but it has been updated once this week. Was Penn -1.5, now -1. Brown should win this game.

Maybe I'll have some other Ivy League thoughts tomorrow.

Last edited:
More Ivy action:

Friday:
Princeton (6-0 / 3-0) at Cornell (1-5 / 0-3)
- line has been dropping 23.5/21/20.5/20. Total 48.5/45.5 back up to 47/46.5
- 1st H about -11/24

I had thought Cornell might be worth a shot when I first saw the line. Princeton off 5 OT win in a slug-fest vs Harvard. Princeton is 2-3-1 ATS overall, but 0-3 ATS vs Ivy teams. Beat Columbia 24-7 as -19.5/51.5. Beat Brown 56-42 as -21/58.5. Beat Harvard 18-16 5 OT as -5.5/52.5. Princeton is only 2-4 ATS 1st H and 0-3 ATS 1st H vs Ivy. Princeton is one of the best, if not the best, team in the Ivy league. Their ATS results might reflect some inflated lines.

Cornell in off 45-49 track meet loss as 4 pt home favorite to Brown. They are just 1-5 SU and 0-3 SU in Ivy league, but as a dog they are 2-0 ATS in Ivy league losing at Harvard 10-24 +24.5/47.5 and 17-23 at Yale +11/47.5. Cornell is also 2-0 ATS 1st H as a dog in Ivy games, 2-1 ATS as dog and fav. One thing to watch for perhaps, Cornell is just 1-5 ATS 2nd H this year. Princeton is 3-3 ATS 2nd H, but 0-3 2nd H vs Ivy.

Going to see about sorting this one out some more. Looks like 70-100% chance of rain tonight in Ithaca NY with some localized rain being heavy at times.

Last Friday night saw a huge upset as Columbia +17.5 +950 won 19-0 at Dartmouth who was previously unbeaten.

Columbia is an up-and-comer surprise team this year. They have some merit. I doubt we see such an upset again tonight in Cornell.

A lot of line movement on the games tomorrow

Columbia at Yale. Yesterday was Yale -1.5/39.5, now -1.5/36.5
Dartmouth at Harvard. Yesterday was Harvard-6/38.5, now 6/35.5
Brown at Penn. Yesterday was Penn -1.5/60.5, now Brown -1.5/63.5

Two previously undefeated teams play eachother, Dartmouth was not only upset as a 17.5 pt favorite, but shut out at home vs Columbia! Harvard's first loss on the other hand comes in gut wrenching fashion in the game they should've won (you've maybe heard about the incorrect replay review that took away a successful 2pt play that would've won them the game).

It would seem like a bounce back for Dartmouth who was avg 32.4 O ppg before unbelievably being shut out! Columbia's DL caused problems and they kept Dartmouth's typically efficient short passing game wrapped up. Harvard is capable of doing the same with perhaps the Ivy's best DL and run D. Harvard has only allowed 1 RZ TD on 11 opponent trips!

It would also seem that Harvard might be hungover and steaming about the win vs Princeton that was pulled out from under their feet. Or will they harness that anger and frustration and take it out on a Dartmouth team looking for answers?

Harvard (5-1 SU / 2-1 Ivy) 5-1 ATS, 5-1 ATS 1st H, 5-1 ATS 2nd H. Unders are 4-1-1 in Harvard games, but every total was 45 or higher.
Dartmouth (5-1 SU / 2-1 Ivy) 3-3 ATS, 3-3 ATS 1st H, 3-3 ATS 2nd H. Unders are 4-2 in Dartmouth games. but their average total is 44.25.

Lean Harvard, but not sure about the -6. I'm just learning these teams and am conflicted on what happens.

Last edited:
TahoeLegend posts Phil Steele's picks in his thread and I see he has Yale.

Columbia is a surprise team in the Ivy this year and they do it with defense. In 3 Ivy games, they have the league's #1 scoring D, #3 total D, #1 pass D and #1 pass eff D. As good as they are in the charts on D, they are opposite on O. Columbia O averages just 16ppg in 3 Ivy games so far. And one surprising defensive category is their run D is just average allowing 141.7 (3.7).

Yale is solid and respectable across the board on O and D, although they are a better passing team than run team and the weather today could hamper them a little. Note Yale's #1 3rd down D, allowing just 23.8% conversions (Columbia is 32.6% 3rd down D). Columbia is less likely to convert 3rd downs on O at 24.5%, while Yale is about average at 37.5%.

Yale (3-3 SU / 2-1 Ivy) 3-3 ATS (upset twice by UConn and Holy Cross), 3-3 ATS 1st H and 2nd H. Unders are 5-1 in Yale games with avg total of 45.3
Columbia (5-1 SU / 2-1 Ivy) 4-2 ATS, 3-2-1 ATS 1st H and 5-1 ATS 2nd H. Unders are 4-2 in Columbia games (last 4 straight gone Under avg total 47.5 in that span).

I lean Yale, but the confidence and momentum Columbia has gives me pause. Their D should play very well today in the weather. Hard to see this game going over but the total is also 36.5.

Last edited:
Great stuck , mr. s…k.
Columbia outplayed Dartmouth rather soundly. Coach there was formerly a big winner at Penn.
you make good case for Penn today
i wouldn’t touch Harvard Dartmouth game
i was on Cornell last night getting only 17.5 at BOL. Tough one to swallow
good luck to you.

I'm so glad you stopped by @bull

Yes, the case for Brown. I am taking them for sure even though they have flipped to favored now.

Very tough loss on a tough line with Cornell. They went for 2 and failed to lose by 18! Man that makes me angry for your loss.

I don't know why and have no time to look, but Yale went from -1.5 in limited markets to opening -8.5 across the board! Penn now -3.5! I will definitely take those 3.5 with Brown. Tempted to blind bet Columbia with the 8.5.

I found out who the worst team in the Ivy is and it isn't who I thought it was! Brown. Defense bad, turnover prone check and check but that was still a surprise. I never thought the score would've been that vs this Penn team.

The other two Ivy League games were outstanding! As a fan of college football, Ivy League is truly my calling. It has everything I love and need from college football and nothing I don't.

I went 3-3 on Ivy bets. Dartmouth 1st H, Columbia full game, Yale 2nd H were wins. Harvard 2nd H, Brown full game and Brown 2nd H were loses. Brown was weighted more than the others so not a good betting day, but I still liked it.

Yesterday we had one of those triangles in college football . A beats B, B beats C , but then C beats A.
Dartmouth beat Yale, Columbia beats Dartmouth, the Yale beats Columbia.
Glad you enjoyed the action. Now that I know BOL posts fcs spreads on game day, I’ll try to contribute more.
Keep up your good work on summarizing days activities.

Back