IU/Minny....

JumpOnBoard

CTG Partner
Oh my...

Minny almost a TD fave here...IU is 5-4 and going to a bowl almost surely...but they need one more win...and have UM at home still which won't be one of em...

Minny hasn't won a game in conf and got outplayed by non DIV I school two Sat's ago in the Dome..

Wrong team favored here IMO...

What u boys think...?

Maybe I jumped the gun, but I have already locked into this one at Pinny:

iu +5 MINN +101

I agree I think the wrong team is favored here. I think IU wins SU. As you said, Minny needed a late play to stave off a 1-AA team and has been getting obliterated in conference. IU has at least shown a pulse and is beating lesser teams of late.

JumpOnBoard said:
Oh my...

Minny almost a TD fave here...IU is 5-4 and going to a bowl almost surely...but they need one more win...and have UM at home still which won't be one of em...

Minny hasn't won a game in conf and got outplayed by non DIV I school two Sat's ago in the Dome..

Wrong team favored here IMO...

What u boys think...?

I agree. Indiana has been playing remarkably the last few weeks. I think this is a different team from week 1. I have em ML.

No doubt a different team redbearde...that QB change saved there year..

Minny is bad and u can't compare 350 last year bro...give me a break..

that was w/ Maroney...hell if they had Russell they'd have a decent team...

This team is BAD.

Looks like two teams headed in opposite directions to me. This one has my interest both side and ML. GL this week Jump.

IU tempers enthusiasm

Excited by their improvement, Hoosiers aren't set for a bowl yet

By Terry Hutchens
terry.hutchens@indystar.com
October 31, 2006

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Even during the darkest point of the season, Will Meyers saw the rainbow forming.

Indiana had just lost consecutive home football games to Div. I-AA Southern Illinois and Connecticut to drop to 2-2. Any chance of becoming bowl eligible seemed to evaporate into the air over Memorial Stadium.

"It just means we have to win at least four games in the Big Ten, that's all," Meyers said after the loss to UConn. "You all might not believe that can happen, but we do. This season is a long way from being over."
How prophetic.

Five games later, IU is 3-2 in Big Ten play and, at 5-4 overall, needs one victory to play in the school's first bowl game since 1993.

According to the IU media guide, 259 IU players have received letters since 1994 without playing in a bowl.

These Hoosiers aren't there yet, however.

Senior center Justin Frye said it's time to rein in the enthusiasm and remain focused on the prize: reaching coach Terry Hoeppner's stated goal of "Let's Play 13."

"I was talking with some of the other seniors and, you know, this is all new to us," Frye said. "The only thing that we know now is how hard we've worked to get here. Everything is new right now, and so we have to teach ourselves and the young kids what it takes not just to get here, but to stay here and keep winning."

At his weekly news conference before last week's game with Michigan State, Hoeppner allowed himself to dream about what an IU bowl appearance could mean.

"It would be a huge lift,'' Hoeppner said. "Combined with everything else we have going right now, including the facility projects, a bowl game would be exactly what I would prescribe for us to speed things up in terms of building the program and making us a contender in this league.

"You know it helps recruiting, ticket sales, and fundraising to help us do other things. I don't think you can put a lid on what it will allow us to do. The sky is the limit. Those extra practices also become important. It would just be an endless amount of positives."

As it stands, the Big Ten might not fill its seven bowl slots, not including the BCS Championship, which means a six-win Hoosiers squad would earn a postseason bid.

Frye said if the Hoosiers get a sixth victory, it would be an incredible career capper.

"I want some jewelry," Frye said. "I want to be somewhere warm for Christmas, but at the same time, I know there are 110 other guys on the roster that day-in, day-out come to work. They're putting the time in, the sweat in, the film study. If you can feed off of each other, just like with offense and defense, that's going to do nothing but help the team.

"Right now I feel really good. We've got a little bit more of a swagger, a little bit more of a confidence."

Mason trying drastic shit too...

Last update: October 28, 2006 – 9:42 PM
Mason plugs holes with 'drastic' moves

COLUMBUS, OHIO - The Alex Daniels experiment continues.
Chip Scoggins, Star Tribune

COLUMBUS, OHIO - The Alex Daniels experiment continues.
The linebacker-turned-tailback tried out another position -- defensive end -- in the Gophers' 44-0 loss at Ohio State on Saturday at Ohio Stadium.
Seldom used at running back, Daniels made the switch back to defense in practice this week. He was one of three offensive players who made the move to defense.

Backup offensive linemen Otis Hudson and John Jakel were moved to defensive tackle.

Gophers coach Glen Mason called the changes "drastic moves" and said the coaching staff made the decisions because of a lack of depth and size along the defensive line.

"Is it the right thing to do? I don't know," Mason said. "We don't have a choice really."

The trio didn't look out of place. Daniels finished with five tackles, Jakel had four tackles, and Hudson had three tackles and a forced fumble.
"I finally said let's move them all over there," Mason said. "We had trouble holding up. If anybody thought we could take three offensive guys and put them on defense and they would play great or good against Ohio State, no. But sometimes you just have to make those kinds of moves."
Daniels' move was the most intriguing. Heralded as a blue-chip linebacker prospect in high school, he played mostly on special teams as a true freshman but was expected to assume the starting job at middle linebacker this season.

However, he broke an arm early in spring practice and was moved to tailback on the eve of fall practice. He had a nice debut on offense, rushing for 155 yards and three touchdowns against Kent State in the season opener, earning earn Big Ten player of the week honors.

His production and playing time, however, began to drop dramatically as it became clear he was out of position at 260 pounds. Daniels had only 12 carries for 32 yards combined in the past five games.

Scary moment

Gophers sophomore cornerback Dominic Jones provided the hit of the season on Ohio State's Ray Small late in the second quarter.
Small caught a swing pass, and Jones timed it perfectly, nailing Small almost immediately. Small lay motionless for a few seconds as medical personnel from both teams rushed onto the field.
Small was able to walk off the field with help and was diagnosed with a concussion.

"It's kind of a bittersweet moment," Jones said. "It was a great hit, but at the same time you don't want anybody to get hurt. It would have been better if he got up [right away]."

Said Mason: "The best thing I saw today was when that kid got up and went to the sideline, and I mean that sincerely."

Big honor

Ohio State alum and golf great Jack Nicklaus dotted the "I" during Script Ohio. He was only the fifth non-band member to hold that honor, joining school President Novice G. Fawcett, comedian Bob Hope, legendary coach Woody Hayes and ticket director Bob Ries.

Injury update

Linebacker John Shevlin (leg injury) missed his second consecutive game. Tight end Matt Spaeth, who had started 37 consecutive games, did not play because of an arm injury.

Chip Scoggins

Last update: October 29, 2006 – 9:22 PM
Football: Gophers need to snap back, but next game's no snap

The Hoosiers, who had looked like they might sleepwalk through the season, are on a roll. And they're hungry, too.

Chip Scoggins, Star Tribune

It sounds odd, but this is a bad time for the Gophers football team to face ... Indiana? Strange but true.

The Hoosiers appeared destined for another can't-wait-for-basketball-season campaign when they lost back-to-back home games in September to Division I-AA Southern Illinois and Connecticut.

But in one of the biggest surprises of the Big Ten season, the Hoosiers are 5-4 overall, have won three of their past four games and come to town this weekend needing only one more victory to become bowl-eligible for the first time since 1993.

Indiana improved to 3-2 in conference play Saturday with a take-notice 46-21 rout of Michigan State to grab sole possession of fifth place in the Big Ten.

The Hoosiers have a red-hot quarterback-receiver tandem in Kellen Lewis and James Hardy, and a confidence that seems to grow stronger each week.

The Gophers, on the other hand, are searching for something positive that will pull them out of their current malaise.

"Indiana is playing far better than anybody expected this year, so it's going to be a tough game," center Tony Brinkhaus said. "We're not playing well, but every day guys show up for practice with a good attitude. We're working hard. I know the coaches haven't given up on us. I think our psyche is all right. We just have to play better."

In a marked departure from years past, the Gophers expressed more frustration with their production and execution on offense than their defense after a 44-0 loss at Ohio State.

The defense still gave up too many yards, points and third-down conversions for anyone's liking, but that unit showed signs of life and progress at times. The offense? Not so much.

That is perhaps the most troubling aspect of the team's backslide the past three weeks. In recent years the Gophers could be counted on to run the ball and score points in high volume. They are having a hard time doing either now.

"To be honest, it's not any major glaring thing," tight end Jack Simmons said. "We look at the film and it's one thing here and then something completely different the next play. We have to figure out a way to come together as an offense and get back the rhythm that we're used to playing with."

The Gophers were especially frustrated by their inability to convert turnovers into points. The offense got a short field twice after turnovers and did nothing with it.

"You need to capitalize on those things, especially when you're gaining great field position," Gophers coach Glen Mason said. "We need all the help we can get, all the momentum we can get, all the confidence we can get because when you dig yourself a hole, you have to dig yourself out. It's easier getting into a hole than out of a hole."

And, as Mason said Saturday, time is running out on the season. The Gophers must win their final three games to be bowl-eligible for the fifth consecutive season. That's a tall order, given the current state of things. Even a home game against Indiana looks daunting right now.

"We've played teams of all different levels," Brinkhaus said. "We've played the No. 1 team in the country and a I-AA team. We're just not executing right now."

Chip Scoggins

Helmut said:
Indiana has the #107 ranked rush defense and Minny rushed for 350 on them last year.

IU led this game too 14-7 at the half as 12.5 pt dogs..

also beat Minny SU two years ago as 17.5 pt dogs..

Quote from tOSU press conf Saturday...Glen Mason

On Minnesota
"We have got a lot of work to do and not much time left to do it."

Back