Its that time of year, time to look for tired pitchers. Here's a list :)

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
G

Gyno

:goal:It's that time of year.. :goal:

Time to look for tired pitchers who aren't used to logging in a large amount of innings.. :shake:

An angle that I like to look at when handicapping baseball games is noticing pitchers who are exceeding their career innings pitched count. This is the time of year where a lot of pitchers show signs of fatigue and even dead arm. A lot of these guys aren't used to logging in this many innings and it will show. This will usually be young pitchers who aren't used to logging in almost 200 innings a season.

I'd like to use this thread as reference, a reminder and also as a tool.

There were a couple of good examples today..
Pirates Locke
has thrown 143.2 innings this season, pitched 50 the last two..
Phillies Kendrick
has thrown 159 innings this season and he's only done that once in his career..

Some other pitchers to watch out for..

Patrick Corbin
he has thrown 177 innings so far.. He had 107 in his rookie season last year. He has a 5 ERA in August..
He might be in for some serious regression.

Matt Harvey
threw a 178 pitches before being done for the season, I think he was showing signs of regression. Too bad he was got hurt, I imagine he was going to be great fade material.

Cubs have two guys who are throwing a lot of innings for the first time..
Samardzjia
has already thrown 176 innings this season, never has he pitched more than a 174.
Travis Wood
165 innings, never more than a 156.

Padres Eric Stults
169 already so far, never more than 99 any other season.

Aj Griffin
169 innings, 82 in rookie season last year.

Lance Lynn
in 3rd season, had 176 last year.. Already has 168..

White Sox's Quintana

164 innings, had 136 in rookie season last year.

O's Chris Tillman
160 already so far, no more than 80 any other season.

Mets Dillion Gee
158 so far.. Never more than 160..

Braves Teheran
155 innings pitched..

Brewers Peralta
153 innings pitched.

If I have forgotten anyone please feel free to mention it in this thread.. Let's talk more about this, if you have any thoughts please mention them in this thread.. Thanks.

Per Sherwood's picks today:

"Albers averaged just under 100 IP the previous 2 seasons and is already up to 162 innings this season split between the minors and majors."

Tillman pitching today.. He has owned the Red sox is recent past but its worth noting that he is pitching today. Keep an eye on him.

Colon is pitching and he looks tired.

Medlen has a 154 innings and never had more than 107. Keep an eye on him.

FYI - Last year Medlen pitched 138.0 in the bigs and 13.1 in the minors. Of course a lot of those innings were in relief last year.

Sale has got be getting up there?

Jose Fernandez will be shut down in the next week or two, tho i see no reason to fade him at this point

White Sox's Quintana
164 innings, had 136 in rookie season last year.

will yanks lite him up tomorrow????

Corbin too king

thanks gyno,

looking at Griffin a little more closely, he pitched well versus the Rays in his last outing only walking 1, striking out 7 and giving up 1 run...

but out of his last 10 starts he has 7 outings with 3 or more runs given up.

against Houston this year he has pitched 18 innings...23 strikeouts, 1.10 WHIP, 9 ER with only 5 BB...solid numbers. Doesn't help that the Astros suck against right handed pitchers, but hopefully tonight they get to him.

Griffin has already faced more than 2x the amount of batters compared to his rookie season, but with a fresh bullpen for tonight's game he will likely pitch 6 innings and then rest.

I'd tread lightly with Houston tonight but this game should really show where Griffin is at this point in the season.

Astro's are going for 3 wins in a row, which might be a season high for them.....

Back